Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Proposal to Reroute some COTA Buses from High Street to Front Street

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Proposal to Reroute some COTA Buses from High Street to Front Street

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 106 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

FROM HERE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/curtis-stitt-discusses-the-future-of-public-transit-in-columbus/2

WE: Another big transit issue over the past year has been the proposal to study and potentially add new parking meters on High Street through Downtown. That implementation would require COTA to realign some bus routes to accomodate. What are your thoughts on that proposal?

CS: My understanding, from COTA’s participation on the Downtown Action Plan Committee, which is focused currently on parking on High Street, is that there will be parking meters on High Street before the end of this year. COTA has been active on that committee, and I have attended one of the meetings. The key is to figure out how the parking and the busses can coexist on High Street and what adjustments COTA has to make to its service and the alignment of its routes. Our participation on the committee has urged that we should incrementally add parking so we can see how it works first, and then add more if what is implemented works out. We are working through a process with the committee and a contracted consulting firm to create a plan for which blocks will have parking only, which blocks will have space for busses only, and which blocks will have a combination of both. The reports I’ve gotten back, and what I’ve been shown, shows that this is a plan that will work. There may be some bugs still to work out, but don’t be surprised to see parking meters going in before the end of the year.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/curtis-stitt-discusses-the-future-of-public-transit-in-columbus/2

News
    Participant

Why Getting Rid of Bus Stops Can Improve Bus Service
    BY RYAN HOLEYWELL | DECEMBER 23, 2013

For bus commuters, frequent stops can be a double-edged sword. Opening the front door of a home or office and having a stop just steps away can seem enormously convenient — at first.

But when everyone else on the route has the same convenience, commutes can frequently become bogged down by buses stopping and going at almost every intersection.

READ MORE: http://www.governing.com/topics/transportation-infrastructure/gov-why-getting-rid-of-bus-.html

Viewing 2 posts - 106 through 107 (of 107 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: