Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Parking Meters on High Street Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Parking Meters on High Street Downtown

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 230 total)
  • Author

Neutzy
    Participant

High Street through downtown gets significantly more bus traffic than anywhere else in the city, including High Street in the Short North or Broad Street downtown. My concern is that rush hour for buses in this area is actually all day long. Plus during certain times of the day (especially night) it seems like several buses line up all at once to provide transfers. How will that work?

I would like to see the city consider adding a bike lane on downtown High Street instead of on-street parking. The current configuration forces bikes to uncomfortably compete with buses for space slowing down both bicyclists and buses. On-street parking would only serve to add opening car doors into the mix and make the street even less safe.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Stephen43215 said:
    Broad Street is wide enough there should be no restrictions during rush hour especially in Olde Towne East.

The OTE section works well now; the parking restrictions during rush hour seem to provide extra capacity for those turning right.

Ninety-five percent of the time, I use COTA, ride my bike or walk when getting around Columbus. I have been doing this for the past 12 years if not more, so I speak from this perspective. I am mostly concerned about those who do not use the car as their primary form of transportation. Many of which do not have cars. These Columbus residents are not consulted or minimally considered in these decisions which affect them (us). Many of these bus riders are elderly, physically disabled, struggling economically and/or people of color (specifically Black).

As a COTA rider, I am most concerned when planners talk about limiting any kind of bus access in favor of the almighty car. Bus lanes are designed for a reason and when bus lanes are taking back in any manner or progression, it is a bad precedent to take and a step in the wrong direction. Further, the big unmentioned issue is the affect on a certain demographic of residents. Really, it’s not hard to connect the dots and realize this may very well be the issue and drive behind limiting bus access and service.

As a cyclist and pedestrian, it’s clear….more cars means more hazardous biking and walking.

I know enough about downtown Columbus to point out there are plenty of parking lots and spaces in the downtown area all of which are walking distance of most anywhere.

The “US” in ColumbUS means all of us, not just car owners.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

RubenCastillaHerrera said:
    As a cyclist and pedestrian, it’s clear….more cars means more hazardous biking and walking.

Are parked cars more hazardous than riding a bike in the bus lane? As a regular bus rider, I’m always worried about the bike riders who weave around buses.

Neutzy
    Participant

Walker said:
    Are parked cars more hazardous than riding a bike in the bus lane? As a regular bus rider, I’m always worried about the bike riders who weave around buses.

This is why I think we should make a bike lane on High Street downtown instead of a parking lane. That said, when I ride my bike I’m usually much more worried about car doors than buses. I wonder if there is any crash safety data that could better inform this discussion.

Pasquar

Walker said:

I get your point and it is valid, but only when you’re considering the individual actions of a biker. A lot of bikers do weave around buses and it’s not the safest thing, but this is something that they choose to do, weighing the risks involved. Parked cars, on the other hand, are things that bikers HAVE to move around. There is no option to wait patiently behind them as there is with buses, so they introduce an impediment that all bikers must face, whether they choose to weave around buses or not.

With this, I fully agree with Neutzy that there should be a dedicated bike lane to mitigate this as opposed to adding cars and doors to the mix, making it less safe for all.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

Pasquar said:
    I get your point and it is valid, but only when you’re considering the individual actions of a biker. A lot of bikers do weave around buses and it’s not the safest thing, but this is something that they choose to do, weighing the risks involved. Parked cars, on the other hand, are things that bikers HAVE to move around. There is no option to wait patiently behind them as there is with buses, so they introduce an impediment that all bikers must face, whether they choose to weave around buses or not.

With this, I fully agree with Neutzy that there should be a dedicated bike lane to mitigate this as opposed to adding cars and doors to the mix, making it less safe for all.

I have to imagine if they squeezed a bike lane in with the parking that it would be right in the door zone. No thanks.

Pasquar

NerosNeptune said:
    I have to imagine if they squeezed a bike lane in with the parking that it would be right in the door zone. No thanks.

I think you missed the point…

“With this, I fully agree with Neutzy that there should be a dedicated bike lane to mitigate this AS OPPOSED to adding cars and doors to the mix, making it less safe for all. ”

As Ruben pointed out, there are plenty of garages in the downtown area that can accomodate cars and I personally don’t think it’s too much to ask of people driving into downtown to all these businesses that will benefit from the addition of meters to walk a block. Downtown Columbus is for everyone, not just car drivers, and decisions should be made that reflect that truth.

For the record. YES bike lane. NO parked cars.

Graybeak
    Participant

Pasquar said:
    Downtown Columbus is for everyone, not just car drivers, and decisions should be made that reflect that truth.

Or bike riders.

Pasquar

Yes, because Columbus is SO biker-friendly…

JeepGirl
    Participant

Pasquar said:

When passing parked cars, isn’t it recommended that cyclists stay clear of the door zone and “take the lane”? Seems that if you choose to ride in the door zone, you’re placing yourself at risk.

Graybeak
    Participant

Pasquar said:
    Yes, because Columbus is SO biker-friendly…

Sadly this is not true.
    Motorcycle Rider Assaulted by Bicycle Riders[/url]

A Columbus man tells police that several people cut his motorcycle off with bicycles and began to assault him.

According to a report filed Sunday with Columbus police, a 34-year-old man was riding his motorcycle on the 1700 block of South Champion Avenue when three suspects rode their bicycles in front of him, causing him to stop.

hivner1

Interesting how the lede paints this story as a battle of transit modes, when somehow I doubt that’s the case…

Graybeak said:
    Sadly this is not true.
    Motorcycle Rider Assaulted by Bicycle Riders[/url]

A Columbus man tells police that several people cut his motorcycle off with bicycles and began to assault him.

According to a report filed Sunday with Columbus police, a 34-year-old man was riding his motorcycle on the 1700 block of South Champion Avenue when three suspects rode their bicycles in front of him, causing him to stop.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I think it’s worth keeping in mind that metered parking is much different than private parking lots. If someone is interested in parking for an hour or two to visit a store or restaurant, a $10 per day lot is not what they’re interested in. Metered parking is on the forefront of the mind of the retail business owner. I think High Street should be accommodating to all types of customers, traffic, etc.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker said:
    I think High Street should be accommodating to all types of customers, traffic, etc.

That makes sense, but at the same time accommodating 2% of the population shouldn’t necessitate inconveniencing 98% of the population. Accommodation in proportion, perhaps.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 230 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE