Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Parking Meters on High Street Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Parking Meters on High Street Downtown

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 230 total)
  • Author
    hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Walker said:
    So the problem isn’t parking meters at all then. ;)

Not entirely. But, I have this thing about being honest. You can’t understand a problem unless you approach it honestly.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rus said:
    http://theoatmeal.com/comics/restaurant_website

Don’t forget about the auto-playing music embedded into the restaurant website. ;)

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker said:
    Don’t forget about the auto-playing music embedded into the restaurant website. ;)

Preferably something in the ever classy 8bit.

derwentez

are there not meters that work like parking garages? get a ticket when you park, insert said ticket when you leave. no running out of time, no putting too much money in. is this done anywhere? i don’t have a car so i haven’t looked at a meter in awhile.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

derwentez said:
    are there not meters that work like parking garages? get a ticket when you park, insert said ticket when you leave. no running out of time, no putting too much money in. is this done anywhere? i don’t have a car so i haven’t looked at a meter in awhile.

I’ve never heard of parking meters anywhere that work like that. Parking Garages can do that because you have to pay to be let out. There would be nothing preventing someone from just driving off at a parking meter without paying if you had to pay afterward rather than before hand.

derwentez

Walker said: I’ve never heard of parking meters anywhere that work like that. Parking Garages can do that because you have to pay to be let out. There would be nothing preventing someone from just driving off at a parking meter without paying if you had to pay afterward rather than before hand.

there could be a sensor in the parking space that stops the time when the car leaves. this would have to be a put your credit card in before type of deal. it’s not perfect but it is another option. personally i don’t like meters at all. free parking attracts people. who cares if people can’t find a spot? wouldn’t that be a good thing?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

derwentez said:
    there could be a sensor in the parking space that stops the time when the car leaves. this would have to be a put your credit card in before type of deal. it’s not perfect but it is another option. personally i don’t like meters at all. free parking attracts people. who cares if people can’t find a spot? wouldn’t that be a good thing?

http://www.amazon.com/High-Cost-Free-Parking-Updated/dp/193236496X

rus
    rus
    Participant

derwentez said:who cares if people can’t find a spot? wouldn’t that be a good thing?

Think about that for a sec.

Based on the numbers here, about %4.37 percent of all people in central ohio ( as defined as the zip codes included in those figures ) use public transit ( numbers appear to be based on 2010 census ).

Add perhaps another %2 for those who bike.

So, if there’s no parking available a business is writing off about %93 of the population.

Even in the highest transit utilization zip code ( 43203 ) a business without parking is writing off about %80 of the population.

Perhaps you mean making driving so arduous that people will change their behavior to utilize public transit / biking more?

If so, then those destinations must have some appeal to the estimated %93 high enough to get them to change their behavior towards transit instead of patronizing existing businesses that are less hostile to driving.

ehill27
    Participant

^ Since people are using meters, it doesn’t seem that those numbers are accurate.

Bottom line is that this isn’t a new concept. Cities all over the world charge for parking, particularly/typically where parking is a premium. It’s not some conspiracy. It’s actually more in line with supply and demand economics.

rus
    rus
    Participant

ehill27 said:
    ^ Since people are using meters, it doesn’t seem that those numbers are accurate.

Bottom line is that this isn’t a new concept. Cities all over the world charge for parking, particularly/typically where parking is a premium. It’s not some conspiracy. It’s actually more in line with supply and demand economics.

To reiterate: I said I can understand someone getting upset by seeing a street full of parked cars with tickets on them. No, not a conspiracy, although I can see someone taking that as a personal affront.

Also, what’s off about those numbers? If anything, it supports the idea that most people will use meters in downtown areas. Most people drive, so there’s not a lot of choice if they’re going to patronize those areas.

Or, if you’re saying the percentage of transit use is off, do you have a better source?

I read “Can’t find a spot” as “no parking available at all, to include a lack of metered parking, parking garages, and surface lots.

derwentez

rus said: … Think about that for a sec. Based on the numbers here, about %4.37 percent of all people in central ohio ( as defined as the zip codes included in those figures ) use public transit ( numbers appear to be based on 2010 census ). Add perhaps another %2 for those who bike. So, if there’s no parking available a business is writing off about %93 of the population. Even in the highest transit utilization zip code ( 43203 ) a business without parking is writing off about %80 of the population. Perhaps you mean making driving so arduous that people will change their behavior to utilize public transit / biking more? If so, then those destinations must have some appeal to the estimated %93 high enough to get them to change their behavior towards transit instead of patronizing existing businesses that are less hostile to driving.

? there wouldn’t be parking because those 93% are taking up the free spaces to visit businesses. i’m not completely against parking meters, as ehill states , it’s demand and supply. but if we have too many open spaces, either the businesses there don’t constitute paying for parking or the price is too high. free parking is also conducive to longer stays/shops/eats. if i end up .5 miles from my car and have to walk back to put more money in the meter, i’ll probably just leave. most of easton’s parking is free. though it’s not exactly the same situation, their businesses certainly aren’t hurting because of it.

rus
    rus
    Participant

derwentez said:
    if i end up .5 miles from my car and have to walk back to put more money in the meter, i’ll probably just leave.

That’s what I meant earlier about parking being a disincentive for people to visit an area.

Some of that is likely familiarity with an area, which can be mitigated, but you add a dimension to that; the effort it takes to avoid a ticket that doesn’t exist in other areas.

GCrites80s
    Participant

If you make street parking free downtown workers would take all the spaces leaving no parking spaces at all.

johnwirtz
    Participant

derwentez said:

That would defeat the purpose of the meters, which is to encourage parking turnover.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

I don’t see why that would defeat the purpose. The spot would still cost the same amount per unit time, and overall time limits could still be enforced. Giving a ticket and more precise billing wouldn’t allow people to take up spots all day.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 230 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE