Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Parking Meters on High Street Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Parking Meters on High Street Downtown

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 230 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker said:
    So the problem isn’t parking meters at all then. ;)

Heh. ;)

Rockmastermike
    Participant

hugh59 said:
    I don’t think meters are a conspiracy.

no, but apparently rus does. see his post a while ago. hilarious

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Let’s see: enjoyed a pint and some dogs tonight at Dirty Franks and used a meter just north across from Greyhound. Gave myself plenty of time on the meter and noted the time. Also double read the enforcement and tow-away hours. Walked back to a car and no tickets.

I then attempted to give the downtown MoJoe some love but found them closed (what was that about customer access and meters? ;)) at roughly 4:15-4:30, which I chalked up to the holiday until I passed the SN cap location which appeared to be open. It was a great opportunity to try One Line, which is hands down my new favorite, non-alcohol SN spot. Again, utilizing a meter (right off high on hubbard) which I gave plenty of time and had no ticket on my return. Very stress free and enjoyable Friday night.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Rockmastermike said:
    no, but apparently rus does. see his post a while ago. hilarious

Oh, of course. Understanding a feeling is EXACTLY THE SAME as a secret cabal.

Really though, I don’t see any reason to patronize a business in an area that annoys me. I’m sure you feel the same way; just that different places annoy us.

Like I said: parking problems are a disincentive for me. Some place would have to be special to overcome that.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Rockmastermike said:
    I think that’s the real issue. any change in a familiar pattern causes discombobulation. You can say this about meters, one way streets, or, for those of us who are used to such things, having to navigate those huge horrible parking lots that surround everything in suburban areas with chaotic traffic patterns and not-paying-attention drivers. I hate those and actively avoid them at this point.

Yes, changes in familiar patterns can cause aggravation. That is probably much of the source of my problem with the meters. There are some areas that I have been parking at for decades that were not monitored after 6pm. Something in my brain just assumes that meters are not monitored when it is dark outside. That is no longer the truth in Columbus.

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

Rockmastermike said:
    lol!
    well lets see… off the top of my head?
    Latitude 41, tip top kitchen, cafe brioso, the jury room, Flatiron, Dirty frank’s, Mac’s, betty’s, sugardaddy’s… those are just the restaurants *I* like to go that are mostly on meters (ed: and not even the complete list, i just remembered a few others). Not even counting other kinds of services and stuff like the courthouse and friends who live where the meters are the most convenient option or places I don’t generally go (like due amici, M, mitchel’s steakhouse, little palace, etc etc).

If you really think meters are *that* big an imposition, then please, by all means, stay away from these places so I can have a shorter wait for a table.

I agree that there’s lots worth going downtown for. In addition to the restaurants you’ve named, I’d add all the various cultural amenities and arts events downtown.

That said, it’s also true that any hurdle (no matter how small or slight we might perceive it to be) can serve as a disincentive for people to go downtown. If I’m uncertain about the availability of parking, if I don’t know how late the surface lot is open, if I don’t know the hours for meters, which ones take credit cards, what an appropriate tip for a valet is, whether the garage will be open after the show ends, if I’ll need change, if I’ll need singles or fives to shove in those little slots (as opposed to the twenties my ATM gave me)…well, that all strikes me as a fair amount of uncertainty (YMMV).

I suppose we can write all that off as the unfounded concerns of people who can’t hack it, but I’m not sure that’s the right response. It seems that if we want downtown to be a participatory destination (and I assume we do) then we’d want to take seriously the concerns of those people who find participating in downtown a challenge (or a hassle, or inconvenient, or whatever).

peter
    Participant

Seriously though: why spend money downtown when there are options with less hassle? What’s downtown that isn’t in, say, grandview or upper arlington?

If you have to ask…

peter
    Participant

OK, what would you meter-haters propose? No meters? Yeah, I’m sure you would love that. No meters = no parking anywhere downtown, ever. The scenario lifeontwowheels described above about his stress-free Friday night would be gone forever (by the way, meters exist exactly to accommodate that kind of evening – in fact I would argue they exist specifically to accommodate to people who don’t live in the city. I don’t need meters – I can walk). You think think finding a spot is bad now? You ain’t seen nothing yet.

To those complaining about empty streets with metered parking: Yeah, the system isn’t perfect. The hours listed on the meter can’t account for every holiday weekend or odd off-season. We could add more exceptions and qualifications to the hours listed on the meter if that would help – wait no, then you’d bitch about meters being too hard to understand. WAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Literally no one cares if you (specifically you) don’t drive downtown and patronize their business. Get over yourself.

peter
    Participant

I suppose we can write all that off as the unfounded concerns of people who can’t hack it, but I’m not sure that’s the right response. It seems that if we want downtown to be a participatory destination (and I assume we do) then we’d want to take seriously the concerns of those people who find participating in downtown a challenge (or a hassle, or inconvenient, or whatever).

You can’t win ’em all. Downtown already is a participatory destination. Some folks are just mad about being left out.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

hugh59 said:
    Something in my brain just assumes that meters are not monitored when it is dark outside.

So that means 4:30pm in the Winter and 9:00pm in the Summer? ;)

rus
    rus
    Participant

peter said:
    Literally no one cares if you (specifically you) don’t drive downtown and patronize their business. Get over yourself.

You do, apparently.

rus
    rus
    Participant

peter said:
    You can’t win ’em all. Downtown already is a participatory destination. Some folks are just mad about being left out.

For people who like/want that experience, sure.

Sure, you can’t win ’em all. I see no reason to bother with places downtown. I do know how to navigate parking, but why deal with it? Hell, I might run into someone from CU down there.

I’m sure downtown businesses can survive and perhaps even thrive without me.

On the other hand, if such businesses do want to attract people from out of the area ( more than walking traffic from housing within 1 – 2 miles, say ) and the problem is really of familiarity then very explicit parking suggestions for each destination would seem like a good idea, either via destination web sites or business association sites.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rus said:
    Hell, I might run into someone from CU down there.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

rus said:
    On the other hand, if such businesses do want to attract people from out of the area ( more than walking traffic from housing within 1 – 2 miles, say ) and the problem is really of familiarity then very explicit parking suggestions for each destination would seem like a good idea, either via destination web sites or business association sites.

my god, rus… you actually had a good suggestion instead of just bitching about how wrong something is.

Bravo! We need more of this kind of thing in these kinds of threads. Thank you.

This is actually a pretty good idea. Some businesses already do this, of course, but its a nice idea for businesses which can do this kind of thing to do it.

Also, people, if you’re going to have menus/parking/contact info on your website that people might want to refer to from a mobile device, DO NOT DO IT IN FLASH OR PDF. Just put it in the text of the site. Seriously. (I dont use a smartphone but I hate having to ‘allow’ flash just to look up someones phone number or see what’s on the menu).

rus
    rus
    Participant

Rockmastermike said:

This is actually a pretty good idea. Some businesses already do this, of course, but its a nice idea for businesses which can do this kind of thing to do it.

Oh, I fully expect criticism, comparing me to hitler, etc. because it doesn’t demand someone buy someone a street car, demand everyone bike, etc. etc.

Rockmastermike said:

Also, people, if you’re going to have menus/parking/contact info on your website that people might want to refer to from a mobile device, DO NOT DO IT IN FLASH OR PDF. Just put it in the text of the site. Seriously. (I dont use a smartphone but I hate having to ‘allow’ flash just to look up someones phone number or see what’s on the menu).

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/restaurant_website

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 230 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: