Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Parking Meters on High Street Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Parking Meters on High Street Downtown

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 230 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

What began as a plan to add a Downtown Transit Station then morphed into a proposal to reroute some major bus lines from High Street to Front Street to better accommodate on-street parking and retail development on High.

Both plans have been scrapped, but the push to convert Downtown curbside bus-only lanes into places for on-street metered parking continues:

Are bus-only lanes outdated, or still the future?

By Robert Vitale

The Columbus Dispatch

Friday October 21, 2011

More than two decades ago, city planners thought that creating bus-only lanes on High Street was the key to breathing life back into Downtown.

Now, the latest plan to fix High Street involves undoing that plan. With a transit-center idea going nowhere and plans to shift bus routes shelved, Downtown boosters are focusing their efforts on persuading the Central Ohio Transit Authority to share the road and give up exclusive daytime use of High Street’s curbside lanes.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/10/21/are-bus-only-lanes-outdated-or-still-the-future.html

peter
    Participant

Curbside parking is fantastic. It has a great “traffic calming” effect, causing cars to slowdown. This, combined with the barrier of parked cars between them and traffic, makes pedestrians feel more comfortable and encourages walking.

cc

My concern would be the buses having to pull into and out of the driving lanes (to load and unload passengers) especially if some of the routes have not been shifted. It seems that it could become a mess. There is already a problem of buses bunching up on High Street. I think this needs to be part of a more comprehensive solution and not done piece meal.

misskitty
    Participant

I don’t see any reason we can’t make parking on High and buses on High St. There is on street parking all the way down broad and buses have stops in between the cars they seem to manage it pretty well. The worst thing I can see coming from this would be COTA sideswiping drivers while doing the in-between car weave but since most people already know they do this we should be fine. ;)

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

It’s that way all through the Short North.
    I think it would make downtown more friendly to get rid of restricted lanes. It is always annoying figuring out how to turn on to Gay Street with the lane restrictions and no turns in place.

The Hills Market Downtown, the proposed new condos in the Discovery District and metered parking Downtown (which needs to happen). Next announcement is a skyscraper to be built Downtown and I’d say I was dreaming. This gives me everything to smile about. Good news day!

jbcmh81
    Participant

COTA seems to be largely unwilling to change the status-quo, but since this setup already works further north and south on High as well as Broad, I see no reason why it couldn’t work Downtown as well. We *need* on-street parking Downtown.

cbus11

I don’t think it will hurt to give it a try. It would be nice to have some respectable retail downtown again.

James
    Participant

I think a High Street BRT (such as Cleveland/Euclid Ave) would be a comprehensive (albeit expensive) solution. The buses get a dedicated lane away from the curb, businesses would get a boost as on street parking can be accomodated, you get better (more frequent and reliable) transit between OSU/SN/Downtown/GV and buses would seamlessly tie in to area bus routes after they depart high street. When I saw the Euclid system I was really impressed with it. Just sayin’.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

fringeoutfitters said:
    The Hills Market Downtown, the proposed new condos in the Discovery District and metered parking Downtown (which needs to happen). Next announcement is…

…Fringe Outfitters opening a Downtown annex!

;)

Neutzy
    Participant

I just read the part of the Downtown Strategic Plan that mentions letting people park in the downtown bus lane. My interpretation of the plan was that parking wouldn’t work there unless the bus traffic could be mitigated somehow, perhaps through a transit center or by rerouting. Since neither of those plans materialized, why are we still going ahead with allowing people to park in the bus lane? This seems like it will be a huge headache for bus riders and cause even slower service through downtown… I didn’t think it was even possible for buses to move slower through downtown! I guess it is. :(

Analogue Kid
    Participant

I believe there will be no parking during rush hours, and hopefully they’ll be serious about towing people who disregard that restriction. Still, I’m not certain this will turn out well even though I do think parking could help some merchants.

Graybeak
    Participant

Analogue Kid said:
    I believe there will be no parking during rush hours, and hopefully they’ll be serious about towing people who disregard that restriction. Still, I’m not certain this will turn out well even though I do think parking could help some merchants.

They are quite serious about cars parked on Broad Street, 4th Street and 3rd Streets at rush hour. I see it all the time.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Broad Street is wide enough there should be no restrictions during rush hour especially in Olde Towne East.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Stephen43215 said:
    Broad Street is wide enough there should be no restrictions during rush hour especially in Olde Towne East.

Also wide enough to consider a road diet that could give buses a dedicated lane AND provide parking.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 230 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE