Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Prince Is Dead

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Prince Is Dead

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

BrianCW
    Participant

Reading early reports, but appears Prince has kicked the bucket…

ricospaz
    Participant

I guess he really would die for you. too soon?

RBloodworth
    Participant

Not to be too blunt here, but 2016 can seriously fuck off already. First Bowie, now fucking PRINCE?! I’m numb right now.

I don’t throw the word “genius” around much, but that dude was a GENIUS. Without a doubt, he was the most gifted musician of his era, if not many eras. Not every album of his was great, but I’d put his best work against any other great artists’ best work any day of the week. What a loss…

EDIT: Question- didn’t he once pop in at the Alrosa to do an impromptu set after his show at either Nationwide or the Schott had ended? I think I remember hearing that story, and it would definitely fit his reputation.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

He was only 57. :(

What a terrible year for the world of music. Not just Prince and Bowie, but also Maurice White (Earth Wind and Fire), Glenn Frey (Eagles), Merle Haggard and (just before New Years’) Natalie Cole.

I wonder what will happen to Prince’s famous vault of music. He apparently had 100s of fully produced songs that he never released…

RBloodworth
    Participant

If we’re counting Natalie Cole for 2016, we should probably count Lemmy as well.

No offense to the other greats who passed this year, but Bowie and Prince were definitely the biggest stars from a mainstream pop culture perspective. I mean, who’s next here: McCartney? Springsteen? Jagger or Richards? Madonna? Elton? Sir Eric of Jerome Township? This year has been brutal, and it isn’t even half-over yet.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

It’s true, not many stars were as high up in the stratosphere as those two gentlemen.

Here’s a video of Prince playing at a tribute concert. He does a scorching guitar solo at the end. If you watch carefully, when he finishes, he throws his guitar straight up in the air and it never comes down again.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Pneumonia is the tentative cause. More will be known after a full autopsy.

ImNotaStar
    Participant

Rip to the God.

Shit was aids. You ain’t gonna get me to believe he died from the flu.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Rip to the God.

Perhaps people will say the same about you someday.

ImNotaStar
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ImNotaStar wrote:</div>
    Rip to the God.

Perhaps people will say the same about you someday.

Perhaps, but since I do not do opiates, and did not have lots of sex with random groupies in the 80s, I doubt it.

Regardless,we will see in a few days what it was.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Rip to the God.

Prince was a Jehovahs Witness IIRC. He probably declined needed medical attention and just died of a respiratory infection. He kept touring and didn’t rest, got run down, infection overwhelmed him. That’s my guess.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I wonder what will happen to Prince’s famous vault of music.

Frank Zappa set up a legal family trust sitting on an actual vault of recorded music and video. His widow decides what to release and when.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

NPR just reported that there will be a jazz funeral for Prince in New Orleans. How would you like to be there for that?

christylwilliams
    Participant

This photo has been making the way around social media. Drawn soon after Prince’s passing on a street in OTE. A very moving gesture.

pfloger
    pfloger
    Participant

I remember back in the day when I worked at the Hyatt downtown and Prince was staying there, he would make the entire staff turn their backs when he’d walk by so we couldn’t look at him. He was a genius but definitely quirky.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: