Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Presidential Election Results 2012

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Presidential Election Results 2012

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 307 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant

bjx said:
    I don’t really disagree with your initial assertions, however I need some excuse to post this picture so here ya’ go

As if we need a reason for a derail. Or maybe re-rail. Whichever.

myliftkk
    Participant

rus said:

“a proven political strategy, which is give a bunch of money to a group and, guess what, they’ll vote for you.”

Less about policy, more about activist government. The idea the votes are bought via dependence on government programs.

HA! I didn’t say you didn’t; if you read it as support for Obamacare is a reason to vote for Obama and agree with that, OK.

Course the rub is that Romney should know, because the rich and the large corporations have been getting their government gifts for some time now. Unfortunately for them, they are smaller numbers than the masses.

News
    Participant

McManus: The death of the moderate Republican
    November 18, 2012|Doyle McManus

Republicans just lost eight seats in the House. But if you’d wandered into the House of Representatives last week without reading the election returns, you might have concluded that the GOP won big on Nov. 6.

“We have the second-largest Republican House majority since World War II,” California Rep. Tom McClintock told reporters last week. “The American people agree with the positions of the Republican Party and heartily disagree with the positions of the Democratic Party.”

And if that’s how you see things, why compromise?

READ MORE: http://articles.latimes.com/2012/nov/18/opinion/la-oe-mcmanus-column-moderates-in-congress-20121118

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

bjx
    Participant

Good stuff. Bob Fitrakis, right? Makes you wonder why Rove became so unnerved upon hearing his analysts call Ohio for Obama. Bastards.

Jimmy Mak
    Jimmy Mak
    Participant

bjx said:
    Good stuff. Bob Fitrakis, right? Makes you wonder why Rove became so unnerved upon hearing his analysts call Ohio for Obama. Bastards.

Still right up there with the British “Office” for most awkward and hilarious television.

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

I’m still really interested to see where this election cycle will land the GOP. Based on the post-election chatter I’ve heard Republicans appear to be deeply divided on both the reasons for Romney’s failure and the Party’s path forward.

Personally I don’t think a fractured and dysfunctional Republican Party is necessarily a bad thing, at least not in the short term. In the longer term there are a lot of solid conservative principles that should be considered as we move the country forward. It would be helpful if those principles had a reasoned and reasonable party platform to operate from.

Pablo
    Participant

More charts:

What Republicans Are Really Up Against: Population Density
    by Richard Florida and Sara Johnson

READ MORE: http://www.theatlanticcities.com/politics/2012/11/what-republicans-are-really-against-population-density/3953/#

myliftkk
    Participant

File this under Irony of Ironies

“Republicans didn’t have anything going for them with respect to Latinos and with respect to Asians,” Trump said of 2012 in a Newsmax article published Monday. “The Democrats didn’t have a policy for dealing with illegal immigrants, but what they did have going for them is they weren’t mean-spirited about it. They didn’t know what the policy was, but what they were is they were kind.”

Trump called Mitt Romney’s “self-deportation” plan a “crazy policy” and “maniacal” and said the result was that Romney “lost everybody who is inspired to come into this country.” In addition to Trump’s calls for a change in GOP tone, the real estate mogul and reality TV star suggested Republicans come up with an immigration plan “to take care of this incredible problem that we have with respect to immigration, with respect to people wanting to be wonderful productive citizens of this country.

[url=http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/trump-calls-on-gop-to-be-more-appealing?ref=fpblg]http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/trump-calls-on-gop-to-be-more-appealing?ref=fpblg[/url]

myliftkk
    Participant

Pablo said:
    More charts:

What Republicans Are Really Up Against: Population Density
    by Richard Florida and Sara Johnson

READ MORE: http://www.theatlanticcities.com/politics/2012/11/what-republicans-are-really-against-population-density/3953/#

Fascinating. It appears people’s idea about how appealing “you’re on your own” is, naturally decays as they live closer and closer to other people.

rus
    rus
    Participant

myliftkk said:
    Fascinating. It appears people’s idea about how appealing “you’re on your own” is, naturally decays as they live closer and closer to other people.

Presuming that’s true, why do you think that is?

Is the idea that people want to be helped by others? To help others? To get someone from doing something they don’t like that they can’t otherwise avoid?

GCrites80s
    Participant

myliftkk said:

It’s easier to avoid guilt about not caring about others when lots of others are around, for one.

myliftkk
    Participant

rus said:
    Presuming that’s true, why do you think that is?

Is the idea that people want to be helped by others? To help others? To get someone from doing something they don’t like that they can’t otherwise avoid?

I’d wager easier to believe in the mythology of contained self-sufficiency when you’ve considerable physicial distance between you and your neighbors.

I don’t think it’s necessarily driven by what others want, but what you don’t want. For example, whether my neighbor(s) lives are going to shit has far less chance of an effect on me depending at least partially on my relative physical proximity to them. It’s easier to be absolutist about personal rights and responsibilities when you never have to curtail your own because your interaction with others is limited based on an abundance of space and a shortage of time.

myliftkk
    Participant

GCrites80s said:
    It’s easier to avoid guilt about not caring about others when lots of others are around, for one.

I think you can also read shared prosperity as a self-serving interest for a large part of densely packed society. If I’m fairly successful (but not so successful as to insulate myself with a personal army and high walls) and I’m packed tightly into a society in which many, many more are not. My self-interested social position is placed at greater risk via social upheaval than if many people are also successful.

This is a particularly noticeable feeling when your regularly in contact with your neighbors in a dense urban environment. If most (if not all) boats are rising, then the social strata will be more or less stable. If they are not, then at some point the social tension will spill over into real life consequences, and not just for the poor (that’s sort of the story with the riots of the past, albiet with a strong racism factor holding down success).

rus
    rus
    Participant

myliftkk said:
    I’d wager easier to believe in the mythology of contained self-sufficiency when you’ve considerable physicial distance between you and your neighbors.

I don’t think it’s necessarily driven by what others want, but what you don’t want. For example, whether my neighbor(s) lives are going to shit has far less chance of an effect on me depending at least partially on my relative physical proximity to them. It’s easier to be absolutist about personal rights and responsibilities when you never have to curtail your own because your interaction with others is limited based on an abundance of space and a shortage of time.

Possible I suppose, although ignoring homeless beggers at freeway off ramps, driving past disabled cars with people in them, not knowing your neighbors, etc. would seem to go against that.

But hey, as speculation goes it’s as good as any.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 307 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE