Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Presidential Election Results 2012

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Presidential Election Results 2012

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 307 total)
  • Author

myliftkk
    Participant

Romney really is the gift that keeps on giving.

Audio and new quotes from Mitt Romney’s postmortem calls with donors have emerged in which the Republican nominee elaborates on his claim that “big gifts” from President Obama to minorities, youth, and women swung the election.

If this audio had come out two weeks ago, the tape would officially classify as yet another Romney gaffe.

On one such call, a recording of which was obtained by ABC, Romney explained that Obama’s health care law, long considered one of the president’s biggest vulnerabilities by top Republicans, actually rallied Democratic base voters against him. The former Republican nominee said Obama followed “a proven political strategy, which is give a bunch of money to a group and, guess what, they’ll vote for you.”

“What I would do if I were a Democrat running four years from now, I’d say, you know what, dental care will be included in Obamcare … and Republicans will say, no, that’s going to cost a trillion dollars, and the Democrats will say, that’s fine, you know, we’ll pay it,” Romney said in the recording.

[url=http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/11/audio-romney-suggests-democrats-run-on-free-dental-care-in-2016.php?ref=fpnewsfeed]http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/11/audio-romney-suggests-democrats-run-on-free-dental-care-in-2016.php?ref=fpnewsfeed[/url]

Apparently he’s never heard of going quietly into the night…

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

myliftkk said:
    Romney really is the gift that keeps on giving.

Audio and new quotes from Mitt Romney’s postmortem calls with donors have emerged in which the Republican nominee elaborates on his claim that “big gifts” from President Obama to minorities, youth, and women swung the election.

If this audio had come out two weeks ago, the tape would officially classify as yet another Romney gaffe.

On one such call, a recording of which was obtained by ABC, Romney explained that Obama’s health care law, long considered one of the president’s biggest vulnerabilities by top Republicans, actually rallied Democratic base voters against him. The former Republican nominee said Obama followed “a proven political strategy, which is give a bunch of money to a group and, guess what, they’ll vote for you.”

“What I would do if I were a Democrat running four years from now, I’d say, you know what, dental care will be included in Obamcare … and Republicans will say, no, that’s going to cost a trillion dollars, and the Democrats will say, that’s fine, you know, we’ll pay it,” Romney said in the recording.

[url=http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/11/audio-romney-suggests-democrats-run-on-free-dental-care-in-2016.php?ref=fpnewsfeed]http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/11/audio-romney-suggests-democrats-run-on-free-dental-care-in-2016.php?ref=fpnewsfeed[/url]

Apparently he’s never heard of going quietly into the night…

You mean, when you give a majority of voters what they want, they’ll vote you into office? That’s insane!

rus
    rus
    Participant

Manatee said:
    You mean, when you give a majority of voters what they want, they’ll vote you into office? That’s insane!

So, you agree with Romney?

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

rus said:
    So, you agree with Romney?

That voters wanted healthcare reform? yep.

OH sidenote: Had Romney embraced his own healthcare reform, I think it would have been a tighter race.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    That voters wanted healthcare reform? yep.

OH sidenote: Had Romney embraced his own healthcare reform, I think it would have been a tighter race.

Not quite what Romney was saying…

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

rus said:
    Not quite what Romney was saying…

Really? Then please explain what policy he’s referring to…

“Free contraceptives were very big with young, college-aged women. And then, finally, Obamacare also made a difference for them, because as you know, anybody now 26 years of age and younger was now going to be part of their parents’ plan, and that was a big gift to young people. They turned out in large numbers, a larger share in this election even than in 2008.”

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

I’m not much on fancy book-larnin’ but I did get a perfect score on my SAT verbal and I’m pretty sure I read those quotes correctly ;)

rus
    rus
    Participant

Coremodels said:

“a proven political strategy, which is give a bunch of money to a group and, guess what, they’ll vote for you.”

Less about policy, more about activist government. The idea the votes are bought via dependence on government programs.

Manatee said:
    I’m not much on fancy book-larnin’ but I did get a perfect score on my SAT verbal and I’m pretty sure I read those quotes correctly ;)

HA! I didn’t say you didn’t; if you read it as support for Obamacare is a reason to vote for Obama and agree with that, OK.

bjx
    Participant

Coremodels said:

“[b]Free contraceptives[/b] were very big with young, college-aged women. And then, finally, Obamacare also made a difference for them, because as you know, [b]anybody now 26 years of age and younger was now going to be part of their parents’ plan[/b], and that was a big gift to young people. They turned out in large numbers, a larger share in this election even than in 2008.”

Rubbish. Both points by Romney. These so-called gifts are consolation prizes and nothing more. Contraceptives (even the pill(s)) should be free always. There is a huge economic and social return on investment. Also this nonsense about covering children up to 26 is largely a trivial gesture. Most people sub-26 don’t suffer debilitating injuries and expensive-to-treat diseases/cancer. The few who do have terminal health problems are outliers. Broken arms and antibiotic treatment are very cheap and these are the types of injuries by most sub26ers.

A real “gift” by Obama would have been covering older people between insurance programs/Cobra or extending current Medicare/Medicaid treatments.

The real bane of U.S. health care is covering people over 70??? for serious and terminal illnesses. They should be covered for immediate/mobility issues but treating a 75 year old for cancer after a lifetime of bad habits/poor health? Why? Seniors are a tremendous strain on the entire economy and then pay us back by dying anyway. It is complete madness that some children in the country starve & suffer while old people (most of whom have little worth to the future of our country) are coddled.

rus
    rus
    Participant

bjx said:

The real bane of U.S. health care is covering people over 70??? for serious and terminal illnesses. They should be covered for immediate/mobility issues but treating a 75 year old for cancer after a lifetime of bad habits/poor health? Why? Seniors are a tremendous strain on the entire economy and then pay us back by dying anyway. It is complete madness that some children in the country starve & suffer while old people (most of whom have little worth to the future of our country) are coddled.

If they are of no value to the state, then the state owes them nothing?

bjx
    Participant

rus said:
    If they are of no value to the state, then the state owes them nothing?

That is sort of the problem. They have paid their dues, they have contributed to the economy, raised children, etc. but should these things hold weight against the welfare of younger people and the economy? I would bet most people realize their life is finite maybe in their late 50’s or so but will any treatments really make much of a difference overall. I know in my family that some older people are now more health conscious and “find God” with one foot in the grave and hopefully I won’t be selfish when I am older if it takes away from others. I know I look at children much differently than I look at older people.

Maybe a bad analogy would be how much money and care should you put into taking care of an old, rusted, outdated and problematic car? When do you fix the issue vs. call the salvage yard? Certainly not after a flat tire (mobility), maybe not after CV problem, but definitely after a blown head gasket (terminal).

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Everyone takes away from others. If everyone isn’t special, then no one is.

Maybe the child would lose their grandmother and this would adversely affect them.

You are looking at people as producers, but they are more than that.

I do agree that our healthcare system spends inordinately on labyrinthine treatments when the person’d dignity might be better served allowing death to peacefully happen, but that’s an attitude that our entire culture would have to change, and pointing the finger at old people seems rather arbitrary.

rus
    rus
    Participant

bjx said:
    That is sort of the problem. They have paid their dues, they have contributed to the economy, raised children, etc. but should these things hold weight against the welfare of younger people and the economy?

Which is a way of saying the individual doesn’t matter, only the primacy of the state’s interest is of concern.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Manatee said:
    and pointing the finger at old people seems rather arbitrary inevitable.

FTFY

Since apparently health care has moved from a good/service people consume to a common resource, those who consume more of that common resource are to be reviled.

bjx
    Participant

rus said:
    FTFY

Since apparently health care has moved from a good/service people consume to a common resource, those who consume more of that common resource are to be reviled.

I don’t really disagree with your initial assertions, however I need some excuse to post this picture so here ya’ go…actually quite topical as I was veering off the presidential element of this thread

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 307 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION