Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Presidential Election Results 2012

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Presidential Election Results 2012

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 307 total)
  • Author

MRipley
    Participant

SusanB said:
    90% of all cheese,

Government cheese no doubt.

rus
    rus
    Participant

News
    Participant

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

It’s interesting, the Dispatch today ran four different op eds with four different analyses of what went wrong for the GOP and how to fix it. Each solution was plausible, but taken together they were completely incompatible.

They were:

1) Jettison the Tea Party
    2) Move towards the Center
    3) Embrace immigration reform to build a new social conservative coalition including Latinos.
    4) Make the move towards libertarianism –i.e. reinforce fiscal conservatism while abandoning social conservatism.

One and two are more or less the same. But neither is compatible with three or four and 3 and 4 are pretty oppositional to each other. I guess this highlights the dilemma facing the GOP right now. All they know is that they can’t stay the same.

Pablo
    Participant

News said:

From the video – David Frum: “Republicans have been fleeced and exploited and lied to by a conservative entertainment complex.”

Many of my conservative relatives and friends were stunned by the outcome of the election exactly how Frum described. By only watching Fox and listening to conservative radio, they were convinced that Romney would win in a landslide.

geoyui
    Participant

Pablo said:
    From the video – David Frum: “Republicans have been fleeced and exploited and lied to by a conservative entertainment complex.”

Many of my conservative relatives and friends were stunned by the outcome of the election exactly how Frum described. By only watching Fox and listening to conservative radio, they were convinced that Romney would win in a landslide.

And it looks like Rove could be the first big casualty from this internal struggle within the GOP.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

If only they could have such startling revelations regarding all the other false information Fox and the pundits pump into their brain.

geoyui
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    If only they could have such startling revelations regarding all the other false information Fox and the pundits pump into their brain.

I think the outrage and fallout helps confirm the study a couple months ago about how misinformed Fox viewers are.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Total popular votes cast for President:
    2008 129,446,455
    2012 119,334,382

Percent decrease: 7.8%
    Number fewer votes cast: 10,112,073

Difference in votes cast for Obama and Romney (i.e. how much did Obama win by): 3,006,428

Q: Why the decline in votes cast? Who didn’t show up? If they had shown up, would that have changed the results?

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

rus said:
    2008 129,446,455
    2012 119,334,382

Difference in votes cast for Obama and Romney (i.e. how much did Obama win by): 3,006,428

Q: Why the decline in votes cast? Who didn’t show up? If they had shown up, would that have changed the results?

Fat kid in Colorado.

sirlancelot
    Participant

What I hear from Christian conservatives, via talk radio, is that some Christians refused to vote for Romney because he is a Mormon, and, thought he might be another “Compassionate Conservative” George Bush. They could live with Obama if there was a Republican Congress. Another thing, it seems not as many people under age 30 voted this time.

Personally, I think many people were disgusted with the menu selection.

rus
    rus
    Participant

sirlancelot said:

Personally, I think many people were disgusted with the menu selection.

Heard quite a bit of that myself.

geoyui
    Participant

@Manatee – thought of you when I read this article. Be careful out there!

Wife blames husband for Obama’s win because he didn’t vote, runs him over with her car

myliftkk
    Participant

rus said:
    2008 129,446,455
    2012 119,334,382

I’ll just quote the woman dating a relative of mine at the moment.

Doesn’t really matter who wins to me.

Hence, the implied other half of the remark where Obama mentioned everyone who turned out, regardless of who they turned out for.

Now, there were some articles written about who wasn’t going to turn out back along and they pretty easily fit the mold of Obama voters.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/politics/story/2012-08-15/non-voters-obama-romney/57055184/1

Americans who love the insta-whatever elements that make up our daily lives are going to be completely turned off by a politics that moves in inches and in fits and starts. I’d guess that’s where a lot of it lies.

rus
    rus
    Participant

myliftkk said:

Hence, the implied other half of the remark where Obama mentioned everyone who turned out, regardless of who they turned out for.

Not sure what you mean by that, in context.

myliftkk said:

Now, there were some articles written about who wasn’t going to turn out back along and they pretty easily fit the mold of Obama voters.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/politics/story/2012-08-15/non-voters-obama-romney/57055184/1

It’s possible the non-voters do support Obama but not enough to go vote for him. It’s also possible that Romney, being so similar to Obama, didn’t offer a meaningful difference in policy to some people.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 307 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: