Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Presidential Election 2012

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Presidential Election 2012

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 2,844 total)
  • Author

Trump is the most unintentionally hilarious candidate in history.

cyclist II
    Participant

Looking forward to voting for Obama again.

cyclist II wrote >>
    Looking forward to voting for Obama again.

While I’ve actually been mildly disappointed with him thus far, he far surpasses what the R’s seem intent on putting up against him.

Will be interesting to see if his criticism from the right for his “celebrity” will stand, considering two of the possibles on their side are just wrapping seasons of reality shows…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Snarf wrote >>
    ^Nice.
    I didn’t fall for the Shepard Fairey poster or catchy slogan last time around, don’t know why I would a second.

Good to know you’re keeping up with your quota of at least one “my team is better than your team” posts per political thread. ;)

myliftkk wrote >>
    Between Bachmann, Trump, The Turtle, and The Tangerine, I can hardly wait for the Republican campaign season to get rolling.

A goldmine for comedians.

Check out Lewis Black’s analysis of Trump 2012

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

Snarf wrote >>
    ^Nice.
    I didn’t fall for the Shepard Fairey poster or catchy slogan last time around, don’t know why I would a second.

Good to know you’re keeping up with your quota of at least one “my team is better than your team” posts per political thread. ;)

For you special!

Antonio

Nearly 2 – 1 ratio strongly disapprove of Obama versus those that strongly aprove.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

And less than half of the same people polled believe that to significantly cut government spending would require making major changes in National Security, Social Security, and Medicare.

I’m thinking they may have polled an elementary school.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

rus wrote >>
    I thought the flying unicorn leaving a rainbow trail was a nice touch…

It was a bit of a light touch for a hatchet job. I could have created a more bitter and scathing parody of an Obama ad, despite the fact I’m almost certainly going to vote for him for the second time. I know the joke was that it was supposed to seem just like a pro-Obama ad, but it really did seem like one. You had to pay close attention to even know it was making fun of him.

Of course subtlety has never been my strong suit –but then, it never seemed like a Republican strong suit either.

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

It has become such a pain to run for office that we get stuck with these losers.

Huckabee is a hack who will say whatever to get elected. He plays the simpleton man of the Arkansas people bit that is annoying as hell.

Romney is a phony who has been running for 4+ years now. Damaged goods.

Obama is a phony who will say whatever to get elected (obviously). He might have a better chance if he kicked Biden to the curb.

I would love to see someone primary Obama.

And maybe Pawlenty, Mitch Daniels, or someone yet to be named will give some cause for optimism or else we will be stuck choosing from a list of warmed over losers.

sixby9is42

If I had to pick someone from the list of possible Republican nominees that Reuters provided, I would pick Jon Huntsman.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/11/us-usa-campaign-republicans-factbox-idUSTRE73A7HT20110411?pageNumber=1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Huntsman,_Jr.

StowCbusCleveland
    Participant

While I have been at times disappointed by some decisions, I think President Obama has generally done an admirable job steering through an economic crisis at home and two wars + Mideast turmoil abroad. He hasn’t always taken the approach I would, but I am at least convinced he is smart and reality-based more than ideology-based. On domestic issues he shows a willingness to cherry-pick good ideas from the other “team” and compromise (sometimes too quickly depending on the issue). My ideal President is basically a smart pragmatist, and so far I think he fits the bill best. I think he is intellectually up to the task.

There are some GOP candidates I’m interested to learn more about (Jon Huntsman, Mitch Daniels), but I fear we’ll get either a nut job or a weathervane from their primary. Republican politics is in a weird place right now, and I don’t see them picking the type of Republican I could support. I’ll probably vote in their primary this time around to help push for a sane candidate, but I think I’ll be outnumbered.

Antonio

ColumbusTime wrote >>
    It has become such a pain to run for office that we get stuck with these losers.
    Huckabee is a hack who will say whatever to get elected. He plays the simpleton man of the Arkansas people bit that is annoying as hell.
    Romney is a phony who has been running for 4+ years now. Damaged goods.
    Obama is a phony who will say whatever to get elected (obviously). He might have a better chance if he kicked Biden to the curb.
    I would love to see someone primary Obama.
    And maybe Pawlenty, Mitch Daniels, or someone yet to be named will give some cause for optimism or else we will be stuck choosing from a list of warmed over losers.

Maybe he’ll step up and challenge Obama.

Country will really be screwed up by then.

joev
    Participant

I want Olympia Snowe to run for the GOP nomination. With such a fragmented party, I think moderate, rational Republicans might have a shot.

myliftkk
    Participant

@joev – There’s some real demographic/electoral problems with that thought. Closed early primaries and a winner-take-all system empower the R candidates that can generate the most buzz in short bursts, and that’s not moderate R candidates (when’s the last moderate R who even made it through that process, Eisenhower?). That and a lot of the moderate rationalists left the R party to the devices of the fanatics.

’10 taught moderate R’s that if they don’t get on board with “teh crazy”, they’re going to get primaried, and since a number of moderates were primaried out this last round, there’s already chum in the water. The only way they’re gonna put a stop to that spiral is for one of the R leadership to stand up and change direction. Which one of the feckless bunch do you expect it to be? Cantor, Boehner, McConnell? They ain’t got no Lyndon Johnson over there…

Their one shot, minus a major change in US fortunes, might be what’s left of the business side of the R establishment drafting Petraeus, but it isn’t the 1950s anymore.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 2,844 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE