Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Presidential Debate - Oct 3, 2012

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Presidential Debate – Oct 3, 2012

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 116 total)
  • Author

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Didn’t catch it with work but did I honestly hear a clip this morning of the GOP candidate deriding trickle down economics? Mind=fucked

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

lifeontwowheels said:
    Didn’t catch it with work but did I honestly hear a clip this morning of the GOP candidate deriding trickle down economics? Mind=fucked

I think what you heard was the phrase “trickle down government” that he used a couple times.

gramarye
    Participant

I watched the debate, too, but even as one of the more conservative posters on this board, I don’t think that Romney won by much if at all. (IMHO, the clear loser of the debate was Jim Lehrer.)

The most plausible analysis I’ve seen this morning is that Romney’s performance was probably solid enough to convince a number of already-Republican-leaning voters to return to the fold despite their previous misgivings about the Republican candidate, but probably did not wrench a significant portion of the true center in critical swing states to Romney’s side.

Also remember this: Obama was leading coming into this debate. His lead had actually been growing for some time. Therefore, the election is his to lose, and he did nothing to lose it yesterday. In football terms, he’s playing a bend-but-don’t-break defense.

As for why Obama would refrain from mentioning the 47% remark: Almost certainly because Romney would have been well-prepared to counter it. By never bringing it up, he never gave Romney a chance to rehabilitate the remark live in front of tens of millions. I’m sure Obama’s campaign is going to continue using the remark in their ads. Had Obama given Romney a chance to address it and Romney done so successfully, it would have in some measure inoculated the viewing public against future reminders about that remark. Perhaps it would have taken Romney off-guard … but given how well-prepared even his detractors admit that Romney was last night, do you really think he had no counter ready for that one?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    Had Obama changed tactics or been prepared, it wouldn’t have mattered how smooth Romney came across. Romney left himself wide open to be taken down time after time, from discussing a tax deduction policy that I’m pretty sure he thought up on the ride to the debate to suddenly being in favor of regulation. When Romney talked about how Massachusetts did it all on their own with healthcare, I kept waiting for Obama to point out that they did it on their own…with 330 billion dollars in federal funds that 49 other states didn’t get, but he didn’t. When education came up, and Romney touted state independence again, Obama could have pointed out that as Governor he went to the Federal well for money to institute abstinence only education…but he didn’t.

And not a single mention of the 47%? I don’t get that at all. It has played horribly for Romney, its a glaring weakness, and it wasn’t exploited once.

It was just a bad debate for the President, IMO, and it didn’t need to be.

Shoulda Coulda Woulda 2012. lol.

M.O.
    Participant

Romney looked like the guy who was most interested in diving into our economy for the next four years while Obama simply circled back to comfortable and meaningless language from past State of the Union addresses.

Best-case scenario for Obama finds this debate a discovery process where Romney unloads his clip on the economy and Obama emphatically picks everything apart over the course of the next two debates (since debates are always about whatever the candidates decide to make them about, witness poor Jim Lehrer). Otherwise this will be a tight race between two centrists who aren’t nearly as ideologically far apart as the whack-job fringes of their bases.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Perhaps it would have taken Romney off-guard … but given how well-prepared even his detractors admit that Romney was last night, do you really think he had no counter ready for that one?

To an extent I agree, it may have been a risk to put it out there…but..after seeing a number of Romney debates, the sure fire way to beat him is to call him out. Kennedy destroyed him back in the day by calling him “multiple choice” on abortion rights and pointing out his flip flops. I just think that was the real missed opportunity.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Snarf said:
    Clear winner.

Looking forward to watching Biden stroke out.

Yep.

Wow did Obama look tired.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

rus said:

In fairness, only one of those guys actually has a job.

gramarye
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    To an extent I agree, it may have been a risk to put it out there…but..after seeing a number of Romney debates, the sure fire way to beat him is to call him out. Kennedy destroyed him back in the day by calling him “multiple choice” on abortion rights and pointing out his flip flops. I just think that was the real missed opportunity.

There might be something to that. But I think that Romney might have covered that weakness in the intervening years since he debated Kennedy. I honestly haven’t seen those older debates between him and Kennedy. However, Romney 2012 is clearly at his best when he and his brain trust see an attack coming and have time to prepare for it. (That, incidentally, is one of the reservations I have about him as commander in chief. The presidency is probably about one-fourth advancing an agenda in an organized, methodical way and three-fourths responding to a constant stream of emergencies. Well, plus a lot of fundraising, but I’m sure they’re both more than good enough at that.)

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

gramarye said:
    I watched the debate, too, but even as one of the more conservative posters on this board, I don’t think that Romney won by much if at all. (IMHO, the clear loser of the debate was Jim Lehrer.)

Interesting, because I thought Romney was the clear winner of the debate. He seemed dynamic and confident, while Obama, as noted, seemed weary. Maybe he was feeling guilty about allowing a debate to be scheduled on his 20th anniversary.

Even though Romney left himself open several times, Obama never took any advantage. My favorite missed opportunity was when Romney came within a hair’s breadth of expressing regret that he never got any tax breaks for outsourcing jobs.

I actually think Biden will do well versus Ryan. He’s actually a very good public speaker, and he’ll be well prepared and come out swinging.

groundrules
    Participant

If debates were really about issues or policy, I’d feel like this was a bigger deal. But it turns out it’s all who can blow the sweetest smelling smoke. By the time the next monday night football game has purged this from peoples’ minds, everyone will step back and realize Mitt’s still an aristocrat and Barack is the prez.

groundrules
    Participant

PS: fuck Biden/Ryan. that’ll be a chimp war.

I wanna see an Anne/Michelle debate.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

ChrisSunami said:
    I actually think Biden will do well versus Ryan. He’s actually a very good public speaker, and he’ll be well prepared and come out swinging.

If he can break free of the chains, that is.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Snarf said:
    If he can break free of the chains, that is.

Yeah, Biden’s a mixed bag. He’s like 50% gaffe machine (like the chain thing)/50% sincere, engaging public speaker. When he stays on message, he can be great…that just doesn’t happen consistently.

geoyui
    Participant

rus said:
    Yep.

Pre-20th anniversary celebration? Or maybe he didn’t take Biden’s advice?[/url]

But from my viewpoint, Obama’s performance was good enough to not lose, whereas last night’s “Romney” is the Romney the GOP had been hoping would show up in this election.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 116 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

KEEP LOCAL JOURNALISM HEALTHY.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE