Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Presidential Debate - Oct 3, 2012

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Presidential Debate – Oct 3, 2012

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #94056
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    #515725
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

    Romney was WAY better prepared and it showed. He surprised me at his presence and delivery. He would have surprised me more by suddenly having a lot of substance or an accurate portrayal of history. I wasn’t surprised more.

    #515726
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    #515727

    DavidF
    Participant

    Coremodels said:
    Romney was WAY better prepared and it showed. He surprised me at his presence and delivery. He would have surprised me more by suddenly having a lot of substance or an accurate portrayal of history. I wasn’t surprised more.

    +1. Very light on substance, but otherwise held his own.

    #515728
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

    Clear winner.

    Looking forward to watching Biden stroke out.

    #515729
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

    Snarf said:
    Clear winner.

    Looking forward to watching Biden stroke out.

    Ryan’s a pretty solid speaker/debater…but he’s also the guy who just got boo’d by a room full of Florida grandparents in front of his mom. Ryan’s very exposed in a debate setting because of the budget plans he’s outlined in the past, making pretty insane cuts to everything most people don’t actually want cut.

    Should be interesting to see if Joe B. can keep his Tourrete Syndrome in check long enough to take advantage.

    #515730

    Analogue Kid
    Participant
    #515731

    Jman4ever
    Participant

    Analogue Kid said:
    Didn’t watch the debate but I’ll just throw this out: http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-presidential-debate-bush-kerry-20121003,0,1484348.story

    Yeah. I don’t think you are going to win an election based on a single debate performance. You can lose one though, and I doubt Obama managed that with last nights debate.

    #515732
    Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

    I would rather hear Obama say less than speak a mouthful of lies like Romney did!

    #515733

    groundrules
    Participant

    raise your hand if it changed how you’re gonna vote.

    #515734

    Twixlen
    Participant

    Coremodels said:
    Romney was WAY better prepared and it showed. He surprised me at his presence and delivery. He would have surprised me more by suddenly having a lot of substance or an accurate portrayal of history. I wasn’t surprised more.

    What’s interesting about this is…. I don’t disagree about his level of preparedness, but to me he came off needlessly aggressive. He was a bit of a jerk to Jim Lehrer (who was a terrible moderator), and just seemed angry. After reading some commentary on TNC’s blog, and on my own FB page, it would seem that his approach put off women, but was loved by men.

    I think Obama should have read James Fallow’s piece Slugfest[/url], where he talked about how much Romney would prepare & how the tendancy was for incumbents to underprepare.

    #515735
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

    Had Obama changed tactics or been prepared, it wouldn’t have mattered how smooth Romney came across. Romney left himself wide open to be taken down time after time, from discussing a tax deduction policy that I’m pretty sure he thought up on the ride to the debate to suddenly being in favor of regulation. When Romney talked about how Massachusetts did it all on their own with healthcare, I kept waiting for Obama to point out that they did it on their own…with 330 billion dollars in federal funds that 49 other states didn’t get, but he didn’t. When education came up, and Romney touted state independence again, Obama could have pointed out that as Governor he went to the Federal well for money to institute abstinence only education…but he didn’t.

    And not a single mention of the 47%? I don’t get that at all. It has played horribly for Romney, its a glaring weakness, and it wasn’t exploited once.

    It was just a bad debate for the President, IMO, and it didn’t need to be.

    #515736

    Fsonicsmith
    Participant

    Stephen43215 said:
    I would rather hear Obama say less than speak a mouthful of lies like Romney did!

    I agree. That said, it was difficult watching the man you (apparently) and I favor as the better, more truthful, more caring man fail to come across as well as his opponent due to looking down to study his notes, making forced smiles, and appearing stiff and uncomfortable. As a trial lawyer, I have been in an admittedly much lower, but similar environment-faced with the more “slick” opponent capable of grabbing the jury’s attention effortlessly. In those situations, my strategy is to remind the jury that no matter how smooth, handsome, and agressive the car salesman might me, if he is selling a Yugo it is still a Yugo (or some similar approach). In addition to his other mistakes, the President failed to have a prefabbed line that would snap the audience back to reality. In my view, it was all an impending storm of disadvantages for the Pres-the format of this particular debate, the topic of jobs (imagine if the topic had been women’s rights!), the fact Romney is fresh off the primary debates (recent practice), and the inherent fact that Romney is the better debater. I doubt that Obama came in over-confident. I think he came in quite nervous and he was unable to dispel his nervousness, which caused him to be stiff and unable to think on his feet.

    #515737

    kit444
    Participant

    Coremodels said:
    Had Obama changed tactics or been prepared, it wouldn’t have mattered how smooth Romney came across. Romney left himself wide open to be taken down time after time, from discussing a tax deduction policy that I’m pretty sure he thought up on the ride to the debate to suddenly being in favor of regulation. When Romney talked about how Massachusetts did it all on their own with healthcare, I kept waiting for Obama to point out that they did it on their own…with 330 billion dollars in federal funds that 49 other states didn’t get, but he didn’t. When education came up, and Romney touted state independence again, Obama could have pointed out that as Governor he went to the Federal well for money to institute abstinence only education…but he didn’t.

    And not a single mention of the 47%? I don’t get that at all. It has played horribly for Romney, its a glaring weakness, and it wasn’t exploited once.

    It was just a bad debate for the President, IMO, and it didn’t need to be.

    +1

    I feel like Obama came in prepared to hit his talking points (we didn’t need to hear about $5 trillion in tax cuts three times), but wasn’t nimble enough to respond to Romney. On his best line of the night that Romney wasn’t keeping his plans secret because they’re too good, he wasn’t looking at the camera but at Lehrer.

    Last night reminded me that it took Obama a long time in 2008 to do the debates well. He had about a dozen Democratic debates to hone his skills before matching up against McCain. The town hall style debate should be interesting, and maybe more suited to Obama’s style. Has Romney done one of those?

    #515738

    Pablo
    Participant

    Dubious Denver Debate Declarations
    Obama and Romney swap exaggerations and false claims in their first meeting.

    Dubious Denver Debate Declarations

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 116 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

KEEP LOCAL JOURNALISM HEALTHY.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE