Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Presidential Debate - Oct 22, 2012

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Presidential Debate – Oct 22, 2012

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

The shocking twist on TV tonight? Mitt Romney is Obama’s biggest fan on foreign policy.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Obama just made Romney his bitch!

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    The shocking twist on TV tonight? Mitt Romney is Obama’s biggest fan on foreign policy.

Right, it was amazing how often Mitt parroted the president’s position and tried to present it as his own ideas. I guess it’s the Elvis Principle — it’s the same words and the same tune, but maybe more people will buy it coming out of a white man’s mouth.

M.O.
    Participant

Tonight Mitt reverted to the junior exec nuzzling up to the CEO with a slick anthology of his co-workers’ ideas presented as fresh … and his. This is one talent his lifetime in the private sector has honed to a fine edge.

There is no doubt in my mind as to the candidate that comes off as most genuine … however that same guy needs to quit circling back to four-year-old buzz phrases and find at least three replacement phrases for “… asking those at the very top to pay a little bit more.”

Style points go to Mrs. Romney for the enormous gold watch she wore up on stage. That piece alone could commission a fleet of state-of-the-art cannon-equipped U.S. Navy frigates with the new rip-stop sails.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Coremodels said:

You’re surprised that Obama’s extension of Bush foreign policy isn’t unacceptable to Republicans?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

rus said:
    You’re surprised that Obama’s extension of Bush foreign policy isn’t unacceptable to Republicans?

Haha.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

rus said:

Definitely some truth to that. I think if there’s two areas liberals are least happy with Obama it would be continued military action and extension of the Bush Tax Cuts through his first term.

I think the confusion comes when Romney blasts the President’s handling of virtually everything foreign policy related on the campaign trail, then comes to the debate to say he’d do the exact same thing.

howatzer
    Participant

Dem’s were shocked that Obama didn’t mention “47%” at the first debate. Republicans are shocked that Romney didn’t mention “not optimal” (or much on Benghazi at all) in this one. Or escalated drone warfare. Or gitmo.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Drones were addressed…Romney’s a fan. Gitmo??? You think Romney’s going to take a different position?

Pablo
    Participant

Romney agreed so much with the President that I thought he was interviewing to become the new Secretary of State.

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

I think that foreign policy is a tricky beast, and I don’t think that there is much change in it from the administration level. How the United States relates to other nations is pretty universal. How could they really differ on issues such as Iran creating a nuclear weapon? It’s wrong and it’s bad and if it happens they need to be dealt with. Should diplomacy be the first step? Yes. Should all out war be the last step? Yes. I’m only using one issue for time reasons. I don’t see where there is much leeway in regards to foreign policy.

One difference that I think is important is that I don’t feel that Romney would bow to other foreign leaders. I know Obama does it as a sign of his respect, but at the same time when you’re the king of the mountain you don’t have to bow to anyone, and at the very least you are an equal to the man across the table from you.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

It’s the subject this hour on the All Sides show on WOSU.

joev
    Participant

Bowing is important to you? I take it as the other guys think it’s nice, and we don’t give a shit about bowing in America. If bowing bothers you, how did you find GWB’s hand-holding and kissing of the king of Saudi Arabia?

James
    Participant

Stephen43215 said:
    Obama just made Romney his bitch!

When two dogs meet, the dominant one always ignores the noise and threat of the other. President Obama did not act like the dominant dog last night – he acted like he was trying to save himself. I personally thought alot of his ‘zingers’ were a bit schoolyard.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

KEEP LOCAL JOURNALISM HEALTHY.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE