Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Presidential Debate - Oct 16, 2012

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Presidential Debate – Oct 16, 2012

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant

Coremodels said:

BTW, I’m not really sure what the argument could possibly be against the statement that government creates jobs…but I’m guessing its about as sound as arguing the earth is flat.

Take it up with Obama. Apparently he doesn’t believe that government creates jobs.

MRipley
    Participant

A big laugher was big O’s comment “The commitments I’ve made, I’ve kept. And those that I haven’t been able to keep, it’s not for a lack of trying and we’re going to get it done in the second term.”

Really? He’s kept all of his commitments except the ones he hasn’t? uhhhh, OK.

melikecheese
    Participant

I think it was pretty clear Obama had the upper hand on this one, it was nice to hear him talk about the many successes as he answered questions. Sometimes having four years under your belt just gives you an edge when you can discuss what you’ve actually done.

It is also fun to hear those on the right try to explain why he lost, or why its too close to call, or just try to change the subject.

Look at foxnews.com today, fascinating, instead of talking about who won or lost, it’s all about the moderator and what she did, even making sure to quote her stutters, one of those great tricks they only do when they don’t like the person they are reporting on. Laughable. What was all over Fox after the last debate, a ton of stuff about how awesome Mit was and why he won, how terrible Obama was, now they just try to skirt the issue and change the subject….shocking I know.

Oh and what is this magic new technology we invented in the last five years that will make us energy independent that Mitt talked about? That was the weirdest line of the night. Did he mean Solar power? Wind? I sure hope he didn’t mean fracking for natural gas.

rus
    rus
    Participant

melikecheese said:
    I think it was pretty clear Obama had the upper hand on this one

Obama did better than he did in the first debate, no question. Checking the polling data shows that, but it’s hardly a blowout like the first debate was.

CNN Poll: Split decision on debate

57 minutes ago
    CNN Poll: Split decision on debate
    politicalmugshot
    Posted by
    CNN Political Unit

Hempstead, New York (CNN) – Give a slight edge to President Barack Obama.

Forty-six percent of voters who watched Tuesday night’s presidential debate said that the president won the showdown, according to a CNN/ORC International nationwide poll conducted right after Tuesday night’s faceoff here at Hofstra University on New York’s Long Island. Thirty-nine percent questioned said Republican nominee Mitt Romney did the better job.

geoyui
    Participant

melikecheese said:
    It is also fun to hear those on the right try to explain why he lost, or why its too close to call, or just try to change the subject.

Look at foxnews.com today, fascinating, instead of talking about who won or lost, it’s all about the moderator and what she did, even making sure to quote her stutters, one of those great tricks they only do when they don’t like the person they are reporting on.

I have seen there has been plenty of venom thrown Candy’s way, but oddly enough, there is one person who defended her:

Senior Romney Advisor[/url]

“You know, I think the moderator, she was fine,” said Mr. Fehrnstrom. “You know, I don’t have any complaints about the referee, the umpire. It’s hard to umpire these debates.”

melikecheese
    Participant

melikecheese said:

rus
    rus
    Participant

geoyui said:
    I have seen there has been plenty of venom thrown Candy’s way, but oddly enough, there is one person who defended her:

Senior Romney Advisor[/url]

“You know, I think the moderator, she was fine,” said Mr. Fehrnstrom. “You know, I don’t have any complaints about the referee, the umpire. It’s hard to umpire these debates.”

Might have something to do with this:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/10/16/cnns_candy_crowley_romney_was_actually_right_on_libya.html

CANDY CROWLEY, debate moderator, after the debate: You know, again, I heard the president’s speech at the time. I sort of reread a lot of stuff about Libya because I knew we’d probably get a Libya question, so I kind of wanted to be up on it. So we knew that the president had said, you know, ‘these acts of terror won’t stand,’ or whatever the whole quote was.

I think actually, you know, because right after that, I did turn to Romney and said you were totally correct but they spent two weeks telling us that this was about a tape and that there was this riot outside of the Benghazi consulate, which there wasn’t. So he was right in the main, I just think that he picked the wrong word.

Jimmy Mak
    Jimmy Mak
    Participant

I agree Obama didn’t “school” Romney like Romney did Obama in the first debate, but I don’t think this debate bodes well for Mitt. Whereas in the first debate he came off as confident and aggressive, here he came off as angry, stumbling and shaky. Personally, I don’t think Obama had a great night either, but he was better than Romney and more like the Obama that people were expecting. I think O’s gonna be even better in the next one. The one good chance Romney has of shining is if he actually makes the math work for his tax plan and presents it at the next debate.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

jmak said:
    I agree Obama didn’t “school” Romney like Romney did Obama in the first debate, but I don’t think this debate bodes well for Mitt. Whereas in the first debate he came off as confident and aggressive, here he came off as angry, stumbling and shaky. Personally, I don’t think Obama had a great night either, but he was better than Romney and more like the Obama that people were expecting. I think O’s gonna be even better in the next one. The one good chance Romney has of shining is if he actually makes the math work for his tax plan and presents it at the next debate.

The next debate is foreign policy

Jimmy Mak
    Jimmy Mak
    Participant

NerosNeptune said:
    The next debate is foreign policy

Ha, yes, I know. There may be a random chance that they go off topic. ;)

SusanB
    Participant

And can someone tell me why my youtube posts are not coming in anymore?

It doesn’t seem to matter which link I use.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The plugin for auto-embedding is a bit old and uses the original youtube URL format to embed. The links that use youtu.be don’t seem to auto-embed, nor do URLs that include the “feature=player” string. I can look into updating it.

If you’re on the youtube video page and click the “embed” option below the video, check the “long link” box under “options” and you’ll get the original URL format. Should look like this (without spaces):

http://www.youtube.com / watch?v=DSbxBQhzk3M

Rockmastermike
    Participant

jmak said: The one good chance Romney has of shining is if he actually makes the math work for his tax plan and presents it at the next debate.

People don’t watch these things for information. The candidates have laid out their agenda pretty clearly at this point (with the exception that you mention here) and you can see their position papers on the net if you want real information (with the exception that you mention here).

No, The only reason anyone watches these is to see who can get the most blood on their knife, and there’s always the off chance one of them will just totally screw the pooch and say/do something really hilarious.

oh… and to play the drinking game,

M.O.
    Participant

Rockmastermike said:

… No, The only reason anyone watches these is to see who can get the most blood on their knife, and there’s always the off chance one of them will just totally screw the pooch and say/do something really hilarious.

oh… and to play the drinking game,

Binders of bourbon. (And should Romney screw the pooch, any doubt about who gets the top?)

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

So apparently gun violence is caused by single parents…and just normal violence is caused by married ones?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/tagg-romney-wanted-swing-obama-article-1.1186354?localLinksEnabled=false

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

KEEP LOCAL JOURNALISM HEALTHY.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE