Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Presidential Debate - Oct 16, 2012

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Presidential Debate – Oct 16, 2012

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pablo
    Participant
    Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

I thought Obama dominated this one –a real reversal from debate #1. He seemed confident and substantive. Mitt had a few strong moments, but mainly seemed nervous and canned, and his answers were filled with fluff. He also had some real unforced errors –notably Libya, which I expected to be a much tougher question for the president than it was, and opening the door to the 47% rejoinder himself in the last Q&A period.

Obama also did a good job of pointing out exactly how much he’s accomplished, which was good for someone like me –nominally an Obama supporter, but one who hasn’t been “fired up” much lately.

M.O.
    Participant

Mitt: Canned. Obama, as genuine as an official up for re-election can be, except on the Libya attack, where he’s pure B.S.

If the O. wants to win this election he’ll need to go all mean on Mitt’s unmitigated and shameless B.S.

Retreating for a sip of water when Mitt stood up to confront him on oil leases in the U.S. broke every body language rule in the book.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I thought it was easily an Obama win. From Romney’s fact check fail to binders of women to not understanding gun laws, I’m sure he’s got a LOT of spinning to do today. How much influence the debate will have is another question. I’m sure it will restrengthen the gender gap for Obama, probably swing a small percentage of undecideds, but there’s one more to go.

ETA: When Krauthammer and Hume both acknowledge an Obama win, you know it was decisive.

joev
    Participant

The real winner of the debate was Lorraine.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

joev said:
    The real winner of the debate was Lorraine.

That was funny.

I wouldn’t say Obama swept this one, although it was nice to see him wake up on his seconds chance. Poll I saw from undecided favored Obama 37%, Romney 30%, tie 30%.

joev
    Participant

How is anyone still undecided? Can you image being in a meeting with these people? Action items are: … …

rus
    rus
    Participant
    rus
    rus
    Participant

Two howlers from the debate:

geoyui
    Participant

rus said:
    Here’s some:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/10/16/luntz_focus_group_of_mostly_former_obama_voters_switch_to_romney.html

While I’m certain there are plenty of polls that show for or against either candidate, luntz is probably not the best one to cite:

Frank Luntz criticism

In 1997, the American Association for Public Opinion Research, of which Luntz was not a member, criticized Luntz for refusing to release poll data to support his claimed results “because of client confidentiality”. Diane Colasanto, who was president of the AAPOR at the time, said

“ It is simply wanting to know, How many people did you question? What were the questions? We understand the need for confidentiality, but once a pollster makes results public, the information needs to be public. People need to be able to evaluate whether it was sound research.[20] ”

In 2000 he was censured by the National Council on Public Polls “for allegedly mischaracterizing on MSNBC the results of focus groups he conducted during the [2000] Republican Convention.” In September 2004, MSNBC dropped Luntz from its planned coverage of that year’s presidential debate, following a letter from Media Matters that outlined Luntz’s GOP ties and questionable polling methodology.[21][22]

Luntz was awarded the 2010 PolitiFact Lie of the Year award for his promotion of the phrase ‘government takeover’ to refer to healthcare reform, starting in the spring of 2009. “‘Takeovers are like coups,’ Luntz wrote in a 28-page memo. ‘They both lead to dictators and a loss of freedom.'”[23] In an editorial response, the Wall Street Journal wrote that “PolitiFact’s decree is part of a larger journalistic trend that seeks to recast all political debates as matters of lies, misinformation and ‘facts,’ rather than differences of world view or principles.” The editors of PolitiFact announced “We have concluded it is inaccurate to call the plan a government takeover.” [24]

maveric1
    Participant

From http://www.factcheck.org. Here are the real Obama numbers. Not debate related but thought it was relevant. I’m still undecided. I have an idea who I want to vote for but I want to get all the facts.

rus
    rus
    Participant

geoyui said:
    While I’m certain there are plenty of polls that show for or against either candidate, luntz is probably not the best one to cite:

If you don’t like him, the second link actually contains video from MSNBC.

geoyui
    Participant

rus said:
    If you don’t like him, the second link actually contains video from MSNBC.

It’s not that I don’t like him, it’s his credibility and his impartiality that I don’t trust, especially since he’s a correspondent on fox news, a republican strategist and (most importantly) has a history of questionable polling tactics.

In either case, for me I’ve never been fond of tv “polling” post debate. Having a group of a dozen people represent city “X” on “Y” network news channel is just another form of political spin.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I accidentally watched the Luntz thing as it happened last night and it was a ridiculous farce. The MSNBC thing is a little more interesting, although not much was really gathered from it.

BTW, I’m not really sure what the argument could possibly be against the statement that government creates jobs…but I’m guessing its about as sound as arguing the earth is flat.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

KEEP LOCAL JOURNALISM HEALTHY.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE