Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

President Obama to be on 97.1 the Fan

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion President Obama to be on 97.1 the Fan

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author

geoyui
    Participant

How real this is, I have no idea. But apparently Obama will be on 97.1 the Fan, Columbus’ sports talk radio station, at 4:32 pm tomorrow (8/2). He will strictly talk about sports, no campaigning.

Obama to be on 97.1 the fan

drakend
    Participant

Crazy as it sounds, I’m pretty sure it’s real. I listen to the Common Man and the Torg almost everyday, and while they are hilarious idiots, I don’t think they were joking this time when they announced it. No politics, just sports, but interesting that the one radio station he chooses is in Ohio, a battleground state. Perhaps trying to relate to the great people of Columbus on a personal level…?

geoyui
    Participant

They emphasized that they realize it may be hard to believe since they do stupid things and have ridiculous guests (fake joe pa), so I’m thinking this is legit. If Obama totally avoids politics and talks sports and buckeye love, it will be a smart move for him.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Smart campaign move. Appeal to the every guy sports fan. He’ll gain some votes for sure.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Mister Shifter said:
    Smart campaign move. Appeal to the every guy sports fan. He’ll gain some votes for sure.

And probably hold his own talking sports. I’m sure the Romney version would be hilarious. Not sure if the Common Man and the Torg are well versed in dressage.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Obama did quite a few spots on networks during March Madness discussing his bracket, etc.

He’s always been a big sports fan, and always does well with light sports discussion.

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

Great, he can call in, pander, pretend he likes Ohio State and hope it translates into votes – which it won’t. I am sure someone on his staff is telling him “tell them they have a great coach in Urban Meyer. The Jared Sullinger is great. Make a self deprecating joke about Chicago teams.”

patient_zero
    Participant

ColumbusTime said:
    Great, he can call in, pander, pretend he likes Ohio State and hope it translates into votes – which it won’t. I am sure someone on his staff is telling him “tell them they have a great coach in Urban Meyer. The Jared Sullinger is great. Make a self deprecating joke about Chicago teams.”

Or, maybe he will call in, and talk sports like the sports buff he really is, as Mister Shifter alluded to. I seriously doubt he needs to be briefed about Urban Meyer or Jared Sullinger. You may not like the man, but don’t downplay his love of sports. :)

He’s a helluva good singer, too. I have no doubt he does a no less spirited, but better rendition of, “America the Beautiful”.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Hunter S Thompson + Richard Nixon + football:

It was a big yellow sedan with a civvy-clothes cop at the wheel. Sitting next to the cop, up front, were two of Nixon’s top speechwriters: Ray Price and Pat Buchannan [sic].

There were only two of us in back: just me and Richard Nixon, and we were talking football in a very serious way. It was late —almost midnight then, too— and the cop was holding the beg Merc at exactly sixty-five as we hissed along the highway for more than an hour between some American Legion hall in a small town somewhere near Nashua where Nixon had just made a speech, to the airport up in Manchester where a Lear Jet was waiting to whisk the candidate and his brain-trust off to Key Biscayne for a Think Session.

It was a very weird trip; probably one of the weirdest things I’ve ever done, and especially weird because both Nixon and I enjoyed it. We had a good talk, and when we got to the airport, I stood around the Lear Jet with Dick and the others, chatting in a very relaxed way about how successful his swing through New Hampshire had been…and as he climbed into the plane it seemed only natural to thank him for the ride and shake hands….

But suddenly I was seized from behind and jerked away from the plane. Good God, I thought as I reeled backwards, Here We Go … “Watch out!” somebody was shouting. “Get the cigarette!” A hand lashed out of the darkness to snatch the cigarette out of my mouth, then other hands kept me from falling and I recognized the voice of Nick Ruwe, Nixon’s chief advance man for New Hampshire, saying, “God damnit, Hunter, you almost blew up the plane!”

I shrugged. He was right. I’d been leaning over the fuel tank with a burning butt in my mouth. Nixon smiled and reached out to shake hands again, while Ruwe muttered darkly and the others stared down at the asphalt.

The plane took off and I rode back to the Holiday Inn with Nick Ruwe. We laughed about the cigarette scare, but he was still brooding. “What worries me,” he said, “is that nobody else noticed it. Christ, those guys get paid to protect the boss….”

“Very bad show,” I said, “especially when you remember that I did about three king-size Marlboros while we were standing there. Hell, I was flicking the butts away, lighting new ones …. You people are lucky I’m a sane, responsible journalist; otherwise I might have hurled my flaming Zippo into the fuel tank.”

“Not you,” he said. “egomaniacs don’t do that kind of thing.” He smiled. “You wouldn’t do anything you couldn’t live to write about, would you?”

“You’re probably right, I said. “Kamikaze is not my style. I much prefer subtleties, the low-key approach — because I am, after all, a professional.”

“We know. That’s why you’re along.”

dsigner
    Participant

I loved how the Common Man and Torg admitted being nervous about it. And how they talked about respecting the office of the president regardless of who sits in it. I’m a fan of those two, but their schtick can be unnecessarily demeaning of others. Glad they see this as a serious event. Gotta think Urban will be a topic. Any chance Obama can talk about the Blue Jackets? Not sure the audience wants to hear about that. And I may just drive off the road if Obama says “My guys”.

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

patient_zero said:
    Or, maybe he will call in, and talk sports like the sports buff he really is, as Mister Shifter alluded to. I seriously doubt he needs to be briefed about Urban Meyer or Jared Sullinger. You may not like the man, but don’t downplay his love of sports. :)

He constantly tells people his favorite MLB team is the Chicago White Sox. After throwing out the 1st pitch at a game he joined the broadcasters in the booth. He was asked who his favorite White Sox player of all time was by Rob Dibble and he couldn’t name a single player.

dsigner said:
    And I may just drive off the road if Obama says “My guys”.

Be ready to drive off of the road because they already said he will do that. His staff had to tell him to do that to relate to the commoners. Pandering 101.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

ColumbusTime said:
    He constantly tells people his favorite MLB team is the Chicago White Sox. After throwing out the 1st pitch at a game he joined the broadcasters in the booth. He was asked who his favorite White Sox player of all time was by Rob Dibble and he couldn’t name a single player.

Be ready to drive off of the road because they already said he will do that. His staff had to tell him to do that to relate to the commoners. Pandering 101.

Because Obama is the only politician to pander. Please.

geoyui
    Participant

ColumbusTime said:

Actually Obama responded via email that he already knew about the “my guys” saying. You may roll your eyes whether he knew or not, but that’s what the Common Man and the Torg said. If you have 2 men with different political values, sports is usually a safe way to bridge the gap. I’m pretty certain both the Common Man and the Torg have views that are contrary to Obama’s, and it sounds like they’re not going to let their political leanings affect the interview.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

lifeontwowheels said:
    Because Obama is the only politician to pander. Please.

He didn’t say that. You’re welcome.

Graybeak
    Participant

geoyui said:
    If you have 2 men with different political values, sports is usually a safe way to bridge the gap.

Sure, like play a round of golf, or sit around a drink a beer! This guy knows his stuff.
    It also helps that 97.1 is the only high powered FM talk radio station in the Columbus area.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

KEEP LOCAL JOURNALISM HEALTHY.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE