Our City Online

Messageboard - Sports

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

NHL Lockout

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sports NHL Lockout

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Possible NHL Lockout: Impact On Purchase Of Nationwide Arena?

By: NADIA BASHIR | NBC4

Published: May 16, 2012

There are rumblings of a possible NHL lockout after today’s announcement by NHL team owners that they will end their current bargaining agreement. If a new contract is not reached by next September, the 2012-2013 hockey season could be disrupted.

READ MORE: http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2012/may/16/11/possible-nhl-lockout-what-impact-purchase-nationwi-ar-1039234/

Graybeak
    Participant

Well, if there is a lock out, perhaps we could have a bake sale or something at the arena.
    Or, fill it with plastic balls, and turn it into the world’s largest ball pit!

ExileOn6thSt
    Participant

Maybe this will turn into the new normal. Having the threat of a lockout hanging over at least one of the big 4 sports leagues every year.

groundrules
    Participant

On the bright side, this ensures that the blue jackets don’t suffer a slew of early season losses.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

Great… so we get the all-star game on a year that there might not be hockey? I hope if there is a lock out we get it in 2013-2014 season.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

I’d rather the Bluejackets not play next year anyway. Maybe this will give ownership an extra year to blow the whole thing up.

News
    Participant

NHL locks out its players
    SEP 16, 2012
    NEW YORK (AP)

The NHL locked out its players at midnight Saturday, becoming the third major sports league to impose a work stoppage in the last 18 months. The action also marks the fourth shutdown for the NHL since 1992, including a year-long dispute that forced the cancellation of the entire 2004-05 season when the league held out for a salary cap.

READ MORE: http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/league-locks-out-its-players-gary-bettman-donald-fehr-091512

News
    Participant

Blue Jackets President Issus Statement Regarding Work Stoppage
    By: ANDY LONG | NBC4
    Published: September 16, 2012

Columbus Blue Jackets President Mike Priest issued a statement Sunday regarding the expiration of the collective bargaining agreement between the NHL and the NHL Players Association and the associated work stoppage.

READ MORE: http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2012/sep/16/blue-jackets-president-issus-statement-regarding-w-ar-1173271/

brothermarcus
    Participant

So glad the county and city jumped in and bought the stadium to keep the organization afloat and protect jobs in the arena district so we can have no hockey games to keep the organization afloat and protect jobs in the arena district. /sarcasm

cooks and security and general cleaners and local businesses depend on hockey games happening- or so we were told when a purchase of the arena was forced upon us… seems that these people being able to pay rent and buy food isn’t so important now.

mrpoppinzs

Word on the street is that they want to hit 50/50 split, that would end it. I would like to say I remember when hockey was just a game, but I don’t.

JeepGirl
    Participant

brothermarcus said:
    So glad the county and city jumped in and bought the stadium to keep the organization afloat and protect jobs in the arena district so we can have no hockey games to keep the organization afloat and protect jobs in the arena district. /sarcasm

cooks and security and general cleaners and local businesses depend on hockey games happening- or so we were told when a purchase of the arena was forced upon us… seems that these people being able to pay rent and buy food isn’t so important now.

However. what’s really important is that the local rich elite and one of the wealthiest Columbus corporations whom successfully dumped the arena burden on the taxpayers back, with the full cooperation and support from the city council and mayor and zero public discourse, are now free and clear of the financial risk involved with their poor business decision.

If there is no hockey this season, let’s see what the council and mayor do to support the 10,000 Arena District workers that would be financially distressed.

M.O.
    Participant

JeepGirl said:
    If there is no hockey this season, let’s see what the council and mayor do to support the 10,000 Arena District workers that would be financially distressed.

Well, I for one will be down there doing my part. Ultimately I’m not counting on the big $$ or politicos to keep things moving along during a lockout, and in any case we shouldn’t have to depend on a bunch of drunks from Buffalo to make a go of this.

News
    Participant

Arena District Businesses Brace For Impact Of NHL Lockout
    By: NADIA BASHIR | NBC4
    Published: September 16, 2012

Bars and restaurants in the Arena District bank on business brought in by hockey fans. Josh Tucker is the bar manager at the Three-Legged Mare which sits directly next to Nationwide Arena. “It is going to be a killer. That’s what we look for every year. Our season is hockey season,” Tucker said.

READ MORE: http://www2.nbc4i.com/sports/2012/sep/16/arena-district-businesses-brace-impact-nhl-lockout-ar-1173524/

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Gone are the days when it was about playing for the love of the game. Now, it’s all about money. FAIL.

bjones7
    Participant

Another reason Columbus need the NBA. If the NHL goes on a lock out, we would have the Columbus Kings* and vice versa for NHL. If they both aren’t “greedy” and avoid a lock out, then bonus for the arena district that season. Win Win!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)

The forum ‘Sports’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION