Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Possible massive credit card security breech

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Possible massive credit card security breech

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Rockmastermike
    Participant

You might want to keep an extra eye on your card (both debit and credit) statements for the next several months (as I’m sure most of you already do!). One of the major card processing companies is reporting they’ve had a major security breech. They’re not releasing any real details apart from the fact that data stolen is enough to be used to clone cards. In a worst case, this could mean millions of cards are compromised.

just google “MasterCard VISA Processor Breach” and pick your favorite news outlet. I kinda like this one: http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/03/mastercard-visa-warn-of-processor-breach/

Liner Notes
    Participant

I knew PCI compliance was a scam. The processors can’t even monitor themselves.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nothing new really. I already cancelled my only credit card a few weeks ago. I just didn’t have any need for it and the monthly charges and fees was just money down the drain.

News
    Participant

MasterCard, Visa warn of possible security breach
    March 30, 2012 3:24 PM ET
    By Lauren Tara LaCapra

(Reuters) – MasterCard Inc, Visa Inc and Discover Financial Services have been victims of a potential security breach, the latest in a string of incidents that have put the personal information of millions of credit cardholders at risk.

READ MORE: http://money.msn.com/identity-theft/news.aspx?date=20120330&feed=OBR&id=14945053

paktinat

“up to 1.5 million accounts in North America”

patient_zero
    Participant

-Nick- said:
    Nothing new really. I already cancelled my only credit card a few weeks ago. I just didn’t have any need for it and the monthly charges and fees was just money down the drain.

There are other advantages to a credit card, like Platinum rewards, travel rewards, purchase protection, and car rental insurance coverage. If you use a Platinum card intelligently, you will reap the benefits. One of my coworkers purchased her Matrix on her 0% credit card and paid it off in one year, no interest, no fees, no monthly charges, and earned several travel rewards.

bman
    Participant

-Nick- said:

How can Mr. smartypants have a card with monthly charges and fees?

News
    Participant

Avoiding a Credit Card Security Breach
    TIPS OF THE TRADE — BY JEROD BRENNEN
    APRIL 12, 2012 AT 8:00 AM

With the recent news of the Global Payments credit card breach, business owners are again reminded of the risks associated with processing and storing credit card data. In a 24/7 world where many organizations maintain online storefronts, however, accepting credit card payments isn’t just an option for doing business. It’s a necessity. So how can you accept credit card payments and avoid suffering a security breach?

READ MORE: https://www.themetropreneur.com/columbus/protecting-credit-card-data/

myliftkk
    Participant

Just do this,

outsourcing the credit card processing to a company that specializes in that services, transferring the risk to them

Data you don’t have, own, control, is data that can’t be stolen, lost, mis-used (at least with respect to your company).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: