Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Port Columbus (CMH) Airport News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Port Columbus (CMH) Airport News & Updates

This topic contains 266 replies, has 68 voices, and was last updated by  BrianCW 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 267 total)
  • Author
    vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Did they build a customs area in the remodel? Seems like we would need one of those.

BrianCW
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BrianCW wrote:</div>
    Saw a report on Channel 6 last night saying CMH was “close” to landing a non-stop daily flight to London w/BA. I’ve been hoping this happens ever since early reports/rumors surfaced on this 2 years ago…anyone have any insight/insider info/knowledge on how “close” this actually is? Report made it seem imminent and indicated the flights would start spring of ’17…

I read a report today saying the same thing, and while I’m cautiously optimistic, I’m not going to get my hopes too high. We’ve heard this song numerous times over the last 15 years or so. It was interesting, though, how confident the report’s tone seemed.

With CLE and CVG both in decline over the years, I don’t think any Ohio airports offer direct flights to London anymore. So, getting one in Columbus would be huge. (The report I saw also mentioned flights to Tokyo in the future… but that seems a little overly optimistic.)

Guess we’ll see. Fingers crossed.

Agreed on the tone of the reporter and being cautiously optimistic.

As for other Ohio airports with non-stops to Europe, only CVG offers one presently (Paris). Cleveland had a couple of routes 7-8 years ago, but those were pre UA/CO merger and when CLE was a UA hub.

BrianCW
    Participant

Did they build a customs area in the remodel? Seems like we would need one of those.

I’ve never been to it or had experience with it, but am fairly certain there is a small customs area/station in the airport to handle the non-stop seasonal flights from Cancun and Toronto flights.

I believe I’ve seen signs for it, too…

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>vestanpance wrote:</div>

I’ve never been to it or had experience with it, but am fairly certain there is a small customs area/station in the airport to handle the non-stop seasonal flights from Cancun and Toronto flights.

I believe I’ve seen signs for it, too…

The Toronto flights you actually do US customs in Toronto before you get on the plane. (I just did it last July). As for the Cancun ones I’m not sure.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Oh wow, this would be such a huge win! Do we have the infrastructure to process large a couple hundred passengers through customs efficiently? I’m hoping the renovation already took that into consideration.

Edit: Doh, I just saw the same question earlier, whoops..

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

They do customs for Cancun in Columbus. It was fairly simple and only staffed for the specific flight I was on. Seems like it would probably work for one more additional international flight.

_calebross
    _calebross
    Participant

They do customs for Cancun in Columbus. It was fairly simple and only staffed for the specific flight I was on. Seems like it would probably work for one more additional international flight.

So what if more than one was added? Think we would need another remodeling project? Hope the CRAA is ready to push forward that new terminal sooner than expected.

JAL
    Participant

Port Columbus does actually have two US Customs facilities. The Passenger (F.I.S.) facility is located under the designated International gate at C46. The two offices are staffed by appointment from the main Columbus branch of the US Customs and Border Patrol office located near Rickenbacker. The second office is for general aviation & corporate aircraft and is attached to Lane Aviation’s hangar at CMH.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Saw a report on Channel 6 last night saying CMH was “close” to landing a non-stop daily flight to London w/BA. I’ve been hoping this happens ever since early reports/rumors surfaced on this 2 years ago…anyone have any insight/insider info/knowledge on how “close” this actually is? Report made it seem imminent and indicated the flights would start spring of ’17…

I know the Airport authority was offering up a subsidy/profit guarantee. Part of the issue was BA has had to wait in line for everyone else to stock up on the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner. That plane makes the difference for CMH to get transatlantic service with its moderate size, long range, and outstanding fuel efficiency.

RedStorm
    Participant

I feel bad for folks visiting who don’t have friends/family in the city. No easy public transit to downtown from the airport.

pez
    Participant

I feel bad for folks visiting who don’t have friends/family in the city. No easy public transit to downtown from the airport.

https://www.columbusunderground.com/cota-to-add-downtown-airport-bus-line-in-2016

RedStorm
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>RedStorm wrote:</div>

https://www.columbusunderground.com/cota-to-add-downtown-airport-bus-line-in-2016

“some time in 2016…

McFly
    Participant

Part of the issue was BA has had to wait in line for everyone else to stock up on the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner. That plane makes the difference for CMH to get transatlantic service with its moderate size, long range, and outstanding fuel efficiency.

Not sure if the economics would work out, but could BA consider using one of their 767’s on the route? Certainly not as fuel efficient, but also not as many seats to fill. (Assuming they use the 189 seat config.)

Another alternative might be to wait for the A321LR (2020, I believe), which should provide the best of both worlds (better fuel efficiency AND fewer seats to fill). But, I’m hoping we see this service before then…

scarletandgrey
    Participant

Or the 757. This route has 787 written all over it.

BrianCW
    Participant

This route has 787 written all over it.

Bingo.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 267 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: