Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

"Popular downtown restaurant" moving to Gay St.?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion “Popular downtown restaurant” moving to Gay St.?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

The Dispatch reports:

Quote:
    Columbus developer Tom Fortin plans a street-level restaurant topped by two 1,800-square-foot residential lofts at 51-53 E. Gay St.

Fortin is in the process of buying the building from DeMond Investments, he said. The DeMonds operated Capital City Photo in the building until several years ago.

This is the second recent project for Fortin on Gay Street. He recently helped attract local luxury brownie-maker Sugardaddy’s to the former Modern Finance building, now being called the Cube, at High and Gay streets.

Fortin plans to begin renovations on the 51-53 E. Gay St. building this summer, with completion expected by November.

A “popular Downtown restaurant” that is looking to expand will occupy the first floor, Fortin said, declining to name the restaurant. The building is close to two popular fine-dining restaurants that cater to theatergoers and corporate clientele: Due Amici is a few doors down, while Mitchell’s Steakhouse is just around the corner.

Possible contenders?

Jimbo Jones

I say Arepazo. They certainly could use more space for lunch. I’d also like to see a City BBQ downtown.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The original plan was for a second Zen Cha location:

ZenCha Opening Downtown Location on Gay Street

But I imagine that fell through awhile ago…

JedThorp

Zen Cha? I hope it’s Arepazo…their food is delicious, their owner is one of the nicest guys in the world, and I’d love to see them do well. It’s fun to see the city’s vision for Gay St. (which I first heard articulated about 5 years ago) slowly taking shape…almost as planned.

k8_is_great
    Participant

Carlos (owner of Arepazo) was talking about opening up a bigger space on High St a year + ago and extend into evening hours as well, so maybe this is golden opportunity. Although I have to say, they have made some major improvements in the space that they are currently in, and I totally agree, he is a fantastic guy.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE