Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Poor parking everywhere!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Poor parking everywhere!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Tintedlenzs

For such a small place (okay little big city or vice versa) columbus has the worst parking coupled with the sorriest mass transit i’ve ever seen in a capital city. Our taxis are mostly tards who belive noone knows how to get anywhere quickly and are random at best, buses make up new schedules at a whim and stop at 12. Oh and freeways suck too. How are we to partake in the many things central ohiio has to offer if noone wants you to get there or be able to park when you do? How do we not at least have 24hr el-train service or constant consistant buses?

cyclist II
    Participant

Poor spelling, grammar, and punctuation everywhere!

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

to answer your question i would say move.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

To answer your question I’d say that we’re one of the largest–if not the largest–cities in America without a decent mass-transit system. Part of this is because the parking isn’t yet bad enough to force a critical mass (think citizens with pitchforks), and part of it is the huge disconnect between development rates downtown vs. those of the suburbs. This could probably spin off into a discussion about the size of Columbus’ borders, and whether future annexation is desirable.

But the short answer is “yeah it’s not great.”

ChadHell

JimL2 wrote >>
    To answer your question I’d say that we’re one of the largest–if not the largest–cities in America without a decent mass-transit system. Part of this is because the parking isn’t yet bad enough to force a critical mass (think citizens with pitchforks), and part of it is the huge disconnect between development rates downtown vs. those of the suburbs. This could probably spin off into a discussion about the size of Columbus’ borders, and whether future annexation is desirable.
    But the short answer is “yeah it’s not great.”

I pretty much agree, the mass transit could use a face lift but you’re also right that the parking situation really isn’t that bad. I mean most major cities it is not even feasible to own a car, let alone park it in town. I’m mean sure, if you’re trying to park on high street for gallery hop or anywhere on campus for a football saturday, good luck. But there are places to park most of the time, most places.

Second off, our highway system is better than almost every other mid-major city I’ve been to. I think people take for granted what the outter-belt really does for the city, let alone having 70/71 run straight through both axises of the city.

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

ChadHell wrote >>

the parking situation really isn’t that bad. I mean most major cities it is not even feasible to own a car, let alone park it in town. I’m mean sure, if you’re trying to park on high street for gallery hop or anywhere on campus for a football saturday, good luck. But there are places to park most of the time, most places.
    Second off, our highway system is better than almost every other mid-major city I’ve been to. I think people take for granted what the outter-belt really does for the city, let alone having 70/71 run straight through both axises of the city.

these are the two points i was about to make, almost word for word. espcially the highways. and hell, the city streets for that matter. the fact that columbus is damn near a grid as far as streets & highways go is a better layout than ANY of the 10 or 12 other cities i’ve lived in. columbus is a godsend for those who drive a lot. you’ve got a north/south highway, an east/west highway, a couple of diagonals, and an outerbelt. i’m curious, other than teleportation, what exactly is it the o.p. wants our freeways to be replaced with?

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

Tintedlenzs wrote >>
    How do we not at least have 24hr el-train service . . .?

dude, we can’t even get a 24-hour breakfast joint to stay successful. . .

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

bastardsuperstar wrote >>

ChadHell wrote >>
    the parking situation really isn’t that bad. I mean most major cities it is not even feasible to own a car, let alone park it in town. I’m mean sure, if you’re trying to park on high street for gallery hop or anywhere on campus for a football saturday, good luck. But there are places to park most of the time, most places.

these are the two points i was about to make, almost word for word. espcially the highways. and hell, the city streets for that matter. the fact that columbus is damn near a grid as far as streets & highways go is a better layout than ANY of the 10 or 12 other cities i’ve lived in. columbus is a godsend for those who drive a lot. you’ve got a north/south highway, an east/west highway, a couple of diagonals, and an outerbelt. i’m curious, other than teleportation, what exactly is it the o.p. wants our freeways to be replaced with?

Technically we have 3 E-W freeways if you consider 670, 70 and 104 (west of 33)-4 if you consider 161 heading east.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Double post.

groundrules
    Participant

i’d give that rant about a C+. decent first post try though.

Tigertree

Honestly, if you are trying to rank us against the cities you are (and I do), while I agree mass transit is a problem, parking even on the worst of days is not that bad. Even on Gallery Hop, if Niki or I has to run an errand and know the lot in back will be full, the furthest we ever have to park is on Neil.
    We don’t have a parking problem, we have a walking problem. Walking a half a mile shouldn’t be a big deal. And, until walking a half a mile is no longer a big deal a train probably isn’t the solution.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE