Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Polls Show a Bleak Outlook for Ohio Democrats

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Polls Show a Bleak Outlook for Ohio Democrats

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 157 total)
  • Author

joev
    Participant

berdawn wrote >>
    Shrill seems to be something thrown only at women so maybe you can offer another adjective?

Oh, please.

Trixie
    Participant

joev wrote >>

berdawn wrote >>
    Shrill seems to be something thrown only at women so maybe you can offer another adjective?

Oh, please.

I agree. Jennifer Brunner is a very nice woman. I’ve interacted with her several times over the past two years. I wish she could remain in office.

joev
    Participant

Trixie wrote >>

joev wrote >>

berdawn wrote >>

Oh, please.

I agree. Jennifer Brunner is a very nice woman. I’ve interacted with her several times over the past two years. I wish she could remain in office.

If she wasn’t so concerned about moving up to a Senate seat, she certainly could have ran again for SoS – but instead she chose to risk a seat on the Apportionment Board for a vanity campaign.

Cookie

joev wrote >>

berdawn wrote >>

Oh, please.

I’m curious what you mean by shrill, because as I understand the word, I can’t imagine how it has anything to do with her qualifications as a candidate.

joev
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>

joev wrote >>

berdawn wrote >>

Oh, please.

I’m curious what you mean by shrill, because as I understand the word, I can’t imagine how it has anything to do with her qualifications as a candidate.

It refers to her electability, which sometimes has little to do with a candidate’s qualifications. She seems to me to be a person who talks, doesn’t listen and above all, is a self-promoter, not a team player who works to accomplish policy. That’s what I mean by shrill. Plenty of male polilicians fit the bill for me, as well as female politicians.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Liberals attacking liberals for word choice aside, looks like the national polls are holding consistent in favor of Republicans.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303550904575562493014465942.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsTop

Cookie

joev wrote >>
    She seems to me to be a person who talks, doesn’t listen and above all, is a self-promoter, not a team player who works to accomplish policy. That’s what I mean by shrill.

That word does not mean what you think it means.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>

joev wrote >>
    She seems to me to be a person who talks, doesn’t listen and above all, is a self-promoter, not a team player who works to accomplish policy. That’s what I mean by shrill.

Yeah, and literal interpretations always apply.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>

Cookie wrote >>

joev wrote >>

Yeah, and literal interpretations always apply.

Think you mean “liberal interpretations”. Maximum offense should always be taken in an attempt to use guilt to control the behavior of others.

berdawn

joev wrote >>

berdawn wrote >>

Oh, please.

yes, please. what is it that you are saying is shrill?

joev
    Participant

berdawn wrote >>

joev wrote >>

berdawn wrote >>

Oh, please.

Someone who doesn’t listen to others because he or she can’t hear anything beyond their own voice/opinions is shrill, in my book. Glenn Beck certainly fits the bill, as does Brunner.

rus
    rus
    Participant

joev wrote >>

berdawn wrote >>

joev wrote >>

berdawn wrote >>

Oh, please.

Someone who doesn’t listen to others because he or she can’t hear anything beyond their own voice/opinions is shrill, in my book. Glenn Beck certainly fits the bill, as does Brunner.

Joev, try this:

shrill | sh ril|
    adjective
    (of a voice or sound) high-pitched and piercing : a shrill laugh.
    • derogatory (esp. of a complaint or demand) loud and forceful : a concession to their shrill demands.

“loud and forceful” fits any number of people. Lets you have your opinion without the overly sensitive emoting all over you.

berdawn

joev wrote >>

berdawn wrote >>

joev wrote >>

berdawn wrote >>

Oh, please.

OK. I don’t get that from her, although I know that there was quite the furor about her Husted ruling. I would have very much liked for her to stay as the SoS (she seems good at it).

I think Fisher was as lame choice as Shamansky. If I get one more call about voting for or against MJ Kilroy I may rip the fucking phone line out of wall…there are more districts than the 15th!

rus
    rus
    Participant

Speaking of the Ohio 15th:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2010/house/oh/ohio_15th_district_stivers_vs_kilroy-1252.html

Seems like Stivers has a significant lead.

rus
    rus
    Participant

AP-GfK Poll: Likely voters ready to embrace GOP

WASHINGTON – All signs point to huge Republican victories in two weeks, with the GOP now leading Democrats on virtually every measure in an Associated Press-GfK poll of people likely to vote in the first major elections of Barack Obama’s presidency.

In the final survey before Election Day, likely voters say the GOP would do a better job than Democrats on handling the economy, creating jobs and running the government.

Most also think the country’s headed in the wrong direction. More than half disapprove of Obama’s job performance. And even more don’t like the Democratic-controlled Congress.

Neither party is popular. But likely voters view the GOP a bit more positively than they do the Democrats. Slightly more say they will vote for the Republican congressional candidate in their district over the Democrat. And most think the GOP will win control of Congress from the Democrats.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 157 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE