Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Polls Show a Bleak Outlook for Ohio Democrats

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Polls Show a Bleak Outlook for Ohio Democrats

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 157 total)
  • Author

rustbelt
    Participant

Fantastic. Then we could replace one group of fiscally irresponsible, corporate-controlled, war-mongering, no-solution-having shmucks with another.

Really, though, having the Republicans control the House & the Democrats control the Senate might be the best thing for the Democrats.

Then they won’t have to field any more questions about how they manage to accomplish so little even with control of the House, Senate & presidency.

rus
    rus
    Participant

rustbelt wrote >>

Then they won’t have to field any more questions about how they manage to accomplish so little even with control of the House, Senate & presidency.

Has been fun to watch them blame republicans for not passing bills… the look in their face when the follow up question “But democrats are a majority in both houses. Why do you need any republicans to pass anything?” is asked is priceless.

rus
    rus
    Participant

joev wrote >>

What I’d really like is for all those moderates who’ve been forced out of the Republican and Democratic parties to join forces.

Reminds me of this:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129310098

Asked if he thinks it’s possible that the Tea Party was generated the way many opposition movements have been generated in the past — by people with money and connections — Beckstrom says it’s not likely.

“I think there’s way too much energy behind this” to have been the work of one group, he says, adding that concerns over both the economic crisis and the government’s response to it helped give the Tea Party its initial momentum.

“Are there some parties that may have come in and funded it, and helped to shape it or steer it? Absolutely,” Beckstrom says. “Is that what gave rise to it? No.”

joev
    Participant

@rus – are you calling Tea Partiers moderate with a striaght face? Are you seriously claiming Tea Partiers want to work to make anything happen? Those guys are just cranks who like to get angry about stuff and complain loudly. If guns and flags are involved, all the merrier.

The biggest political failing of the past decade is the decline of the moderates.

rus
    rus
    Participant

joev wrote >>
    @rus – are you calling Tea Partiers moderate with a striaght face? Are you seriously claiming Tea Partiers want to work to make anything happen? Those guys are just cranks who like to get angry about stuff and complain loudly. If guns and flags are involved, all the merrier.
    The biggest political failing of the past decade is the decline of the moderates.

More like that’s where people are flocking to. Note the NPR article and how the Tea Party may have been influenced by large groups, but the movement itself wasn’t created by them.

NB: Long rant deleted, but on guns you might find this an interesting read:

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2010/7/4/881431/-Why-liberals-should-love-the-Second-Amendment

myliftkk
    Participant

All politics is local though, and while republican candidates in ohio have generally run effective campaigns, a number of places around the country they are shooting themselves in the feet almost daily. Plus the democratic money machine has been sitting on a lot of cash its getting ready to start dispersing.

Its going to be interesting, for sure.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

And the two party shell game continues…

Mercurius
    Participant

It’s 1966 – a president passes Great Society legislation which results in a popular backlash of too much federal spending. A war without end drags moral down. On the plus side the economy was relatively strong and unemployment was at a thirteen year low. The democratic party lost 47 seats in the house. Que 2010…

Mercurius
    Participant

JedThorp wrote >>
    I don’t know if I’d say Strickland is “consistently six points down.” I also wouldn’t say he’s in great shape, but 4 of the 6 most recent polls are from Rassmusen, which is seen by most analysts as “conservative leaning” (Scott Rassmusen was a consultant for the Bush campaign in 2004.) Their poll results are consistently Republican leaning when compared to others. I’d be curious to see the next Quinnipiac poll, or Ohio poll when those come out – both of which had Strickland up by 5 points a month ago. Of course, given who’s standing next to me in my avatar, perhaps I’m biased myself.

As you were saying.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1322.xml?ReleaseID=1500

Mercurius
    Participant

gk

The latest poll shows Fisher trailing Portman by 20 points. The daily negative publicity surrounding the Cuyahoga County corruption can not bode well for Democrats who rely on northeast Ohio for votes.

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2010/09/new_senate_race_poll_has_rob_p.html

DonnaTate

hivner1 wrote >>
    But when this man runs for office, his commercials will be badass!

I’m not gonna lie, I know someone who wears a t-shirt with this imprinted on it….

Brant
    Participant

Big article all about challenges facing the Democratic party in Ohio on Slate[/url] today: Digging Out the Grass Roots by John Dickerson.

COLUMBUS, Ohio—Steve Nicholson barely opens the storm door for the Democratic campaign volunteer trying to talk to him about the Ohio governor’s race. “I don’t care for either one,” he says, “I just want jobs.” The volunteer says that’s exactly why he should vote for the incumbent, Democrat Ted S trickland. “Not voting is a vote for Kasich,” she says, referring to Republican challenger John Kasich. “Strickland will be better for jobs,” agrees Nicholson, 30. So will he vote? No. Does he at least want a little campaign literature to learn about the race? No. The storm door closes.

RTWTH[/url]

Mercurius
    Participant

Strickland is tightening up in the polls – Ramussen today has Kasich +2 which is statistically meaningless. Looks like it’s going to be a close race! From RCP
    FOX News/POR-Rasmussen 9/25 – 9/25 1000 LV 45 43 Kasich +2
    Ohio Poll/Univ of Cin. 9/16 – 9/20 852 LV 49 45 Kasich +4
    FOX News/POR-Rasmussen 9/18 – 9/18 1000 LV 47 41 Kasich +6
    Rasmussen Reports 9/13 – 9/13 750 LV 50 43 Kasich +7
    CNN/Time 9/10 – 9/14 820 LV 51 44 Kasich +7

myliftkk
    Participant

Mercurius wrote >>
    Strickland is tightening up in the polls – Ramussen today has Kasich +2 which is statistically meaningless. Looks like it’s going to be a close race! From RCP
    FOX News/POR-Rasmussen 9/25 – 9/25 1000 LV 45 43 Kasich +2
    Ohio Poll/Univ of Cin. 9/16 – 9/20 852 LV 49 45 Kasich +4
    FOX News/POR-Rasmussen 9/18 – 9/18 1000 LV 47 41 Kasich +6
    Rasmussen Reports 9/13 – 9/13 750 LV 50 43 Kasich +7
    CNN/Time 9/10 – 9/14 820 LV 51 44 Kasich +7

Maybe because people are just starting to pay attention to the fact that putting the R’s back in power right now is like giving this pair the keys to your nuclear silo…

It’s not like they haven’t broadcast their grand plan to blow up the country.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 157 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!