Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Polls Show a Bleak Outlook for Ohio Democrats

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Polls Show a Bleak Outlook for Ohio Democrats

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 157 total)
  • Author

Mercurius
    Participant

Well it appears that Strickland is still on life support – up one point on Kasich in Times Magazine today:
    http://thepage.time.com/2010/10/20/poll-em-if-ya-got-em-6/
    http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2010/10/polls_stricklan.php

The same can’t be said for much of Ohio’s congressional delegation where Mary Jo Kilroy and Steve Driehaus were abandoned by the DNCC for ad buys. It appears those two are gone and now the front line lies with Boccieri, Space and Wilson – who all had major ad buys from the DCCC and opponents buys from the NRCC.

Mercurius
    Participant

melikecheese wrote >>
    Can anyone recommend a good description of Kasich vs Strickland with some specifics on actual plans or ideas?
    I might actually want to place a republican vote this year, maybe, that whole get ride of income tax sounds like a terrible idea once I look beyond that number deducted from my paycheck.

Usually the Ohio League of Women Voters puts out the best non partisan materials. Voter Guide (PDF)

Mercurius
    Participant

joev wrote >>
    Brunner is so shrill and polarizing, though. I think Tim Ryan should have run for the seat. He’s the only Democrat I can think of that could have beat Portman.

I’m not sure Tim Ryan won’t have his own race with Traficant splitting the vote – little alone the US Senate. No way he could have fundraised anywhere near Portman.

gramarye
    Participant

joev wrote >>
    Brunner is so shrill and polarizing, though. I think Tim Ryan should have run for the seat. He’s the only Democrat I can think of that could have beat Portman.

I honestly don’t think that anyone was going to beat Portman, not unless you could get a miracle anti-aging drug and knock 25 years off of John Glenn and bring him out of retirement. He has ties to the Bush administration generally, but not to anything particularly specific that has left a lasting memory. That’s about it. He doesn’t have too many liabilities, other than that. He’s well-liked, well-funded, and running with a strong Republican tailwind.

At this point, every candidate looks like a complete f’ing genius compared to Christine O’Donnell. She’s done more harm to the Tea Party in 2 months than I could have imagined.

gramarye
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>
    At this point, every candidate looks like a complete f’ing genius compared to Christine O’Donnell. She’s done more harm to the Tea Party in 2 months than I could have imagined.

The tea party is a victim of its own wave on that score. I can’t believe that Mike Castle lost that primary. Now the tea party movement has a candidate doing nationwide damage to its image (in spectacularly public fashion at times), *and* is likely to send Chris Coons, someone who will be among the left wing even of the Democrats in Congress, to the Senate.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

We had a poll with Kasich up by 10 points yesterday. I would like to see the breakdown of Republicans responding to Democrats responding, but I could not find it in the data.

Poll results will be of questionable value if the polster gets the mix of respondants wrong. If they had too many Democrats responding, it would give an erroneous result. I have heard that polsters are having a hard time getting the right mix…turnout could be very unpredictable this year.

But we shall see. The ultimate poll will be on November 2nd.

Mercurius
    Participant

gramarye wrote >>

joev wrote >>

I honestly don’t think that anyone was going to beat Portman, not unless you could get a miracle anti-aging drug and knock 25 years off of John Glenn and bring him out of retirement. He has ties to the Bush administration generally, but not to anything particularly specific that has left a lasting memory. That’s about it. He doesn’t have too many liabilities, other than that. He’s well-liked, well-funded, and running with a strong Republican tailwind.

I generally really like Portman (see my endorsement in that thread.) He has ran a bit to the right than I personally would like – but the man understands his electorate. My biggest beef with him is when asked if climate change was happening, he responded, “I’m not sure.”

Portman voted yes on starting implementation of Kyoto Protocol and personally installed many energy saving measures on his home that the current return on investment, well leads me to believe some other motivation exists. So why wouldn’t he come out and say, “yes, climate change is real but we need to make sure the risks warrant the costs” or some other reasonable thing? I think polling shows that is unpopular with his constituents.

I’m increasingly worried that the Republican electorate is becoming increasingly anti science[/url]/ anti elite and elite politicians are having to cater to these idiots. It would still be nice to see an educated politician who actually had a backbone and didn’t fall prey to public opinion research polling. Here’s hoping it’s just a campaign ploy.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>

I don’t like O’Donnell. I opposed her during the primary (not that it matters since I am not a Delaware voter). However, I know her. I worked with her ten years ago putting on a convention in Washington, DC. She is not stupid as the media is making her seem. She is just not the kind of person who should be running for office.

rus
    rus
    Participant

gramarye wrote >>

Core_Models wrote >>

The tea party is a victim of its own wave on that score. I can’t believe that Mike Castle lost that primary. Now the tea party movement has a candidate doing nationwide damage to its image (in spectacularly public fashion at times), *and* is likely to send Chris Coons, someone who will be among the left wing even of the Democrats in Congress, to the Senate.

Chris Coons might not have a lot of company, though.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/plum-line/2010/10/that_enthusiasm_gap_remains_aw.html

hugh59 wrote >>

Core_Models wrote >>

I don’t like O’Donnell. I opposed her during the primary (not that it matters since I am not a Delaware voter). However, I know her. I worked with her ten years ago putting on a convention in Washington, DC. She is not stupid as the media is making her seem. She is just not the kind of person who should be running for office.

I don’t know, I thought the mice with fully functioning human brains was the peak of it…but then there was the debate yesterday.

Mercurius
    Participant

hugh59 wrote >>
    We had a poll with Kasich up by 10 points yesterday. I would like to see the breakdown of Republicans responding to Democrats responding, but I could not find it in the data.
    Poll results will be of questionable value if the polster gets the mix of respondants wrong. If they had too many Democrats responding, it would give an erroneous result. I have heard that polsters are having a hard time getting the right mix…turnout could be very unpredictable this year.
    But we shall see. The ultimate poll will be on November 2nd.

From Strickland’s Campaign on yesterday’s poll:

..this morning’s Quinnipiac Poll (along with the last two polls that they have released) is at so wide a variance with what we have seen in internal and even public polling in recent weeks that we believe it is worth comment.

With just two weeks until Election Day, it is our opinion that the Quinnipiac polls are irresponsible, inaccurate, and completely removed from the reality of the Ohio governor’s race.

Some quick facts that call into question the Q poll results:

– Today’s Quinnipiac poll had Kasich leading Strickland 59% to 32% among independents. Last week’s Ohio poll, on the other hand, had Strickland leading among independents 40%-39%.

– Our internal polls have shown Strickland with a small lead and an uptick this week. Last week, Kasich’s pollster held a call with donors saying that their internals had Kasich with a 2 point lead.

– Over the past 2 weeks, the Kasich campaign has switched to 100% negative advertising and resorted to character attacks on Strickland.

… Similarly, signs of panic from the Kasich campaign- including pandering to the most Republican base groups, wild accusations against Ted, and harshly negative advertising- show that even they know they do not hold a 10 point lead in this race…

joev
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>

She’s run the race like she’s Sarah Palin’s developmentally delayed cousin.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Well, let’s not forget Al Gore saying that the Earth’s core has a temperature in the millions of degrees. Politicians are idiots.

tree_sketcher
    Participant

Clearly the polling for the election is wacky. Cnn has Strickland with a lead.

CNN/Time Poll: All tied up in race for Ohio governor

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 157 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: