Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Police Suggest that People Move from Crime-ridden Areas

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Police Suggest that People Move from Crime-ridden Areas

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)
  • Author

somertimeoh wrote >>
    Several friends of mine in LAPD and LAFD used a down payment assistance program where some agency gave them an interest free loan in order to keep cops and other emergency response people in the city and ideally near their stations/beats. Even shitty houses in LA are expensive so BIG down payments are needed to get loans. It’s been 7 or 8 years since I’ve seen them. I wonder what those neighborhoods are like now.

They did that here in Columbus too. I know one officer got a home in a nice “suburban” neighborhood just because it was in a “depressed” zip code. So much for that….

somertimeoh
    Participant

Then they didn’t plan well, doesn’t mean the programs don’t work. And that guy is an asshole for taking advantage of the system.

somertimeoh wrote >>
    Then they didn’t plan well, doesn’t mean the programs don’t work. And that guy is an asshole for taking advantage of the system.

True dat…

misskitty
    Participant

I refuse to believe this is the stance of the Columbus Police. I believe it was a operator and a cop having a shit ball day. I would say that I am not proud to admit that I have had a fair amount of Interactions with the Columbus Police in all different situations good and so so. I would also say that 98% of the time the cops are cool and not real jerks. There will always be a few bad or crabby apples in a bunch.
    It’s a shame about this article but I don’t think that they want anyone to move. Hasn’t it been proven that a neighborhood that stays together and strong makes the best improvement if it is a positive situation. I’m not talking stand together like Sullivant Gardens lol wrong kind of together.

JonMyers
    Participant

@rus – lol – I think they did.

This story incenses me. To me it’s yet another reminder of how fucked up our city services have become. With the exception of the fire department, which is really on the ball – I’ve yet to experience any semblance of customer service or initiative with most of the basic city services in Columbus.

There are absolutely NO motivational mechanisms in the operation of city services that would drive them to any level of improvement.

It’s not hard for me to understand why outside people and businesses don’t take us more seriously.

drew
    Participant

This story really pisses me off… I had hoped the police would realize what a PR disaster this was and act quickly to adjust, but then I got to the end, read the self absorbed bullshit Jim Gilbert was spouting, and am left thinking: If the FOP president has no concept of public service, what are the odds that any of the rest of ’em do?

jawjack187

Somertimeoh, we have talked about that idea and initially, it seems like folks are open to it. In fact, some people have said that the city used to have a program like that. I think more than just down payment assistance is needed. I would take a kitchen sink approach and throw everything at it, tax abatements, help with cleaning the places up, remodeling, etc.
    Overall, our officers are some of the finest servants in our area, but they do have a tough job, and just like any of us, they can get frustrated. The problem I have is that it is a pattern, and not just an isolated incident.
    In the future, I would like to see the state law changed to allow cities to mandate that officers and city workers for that matter must live within city boundaries. I agree with whoever said police need to have “skin in the game” to more effectively do their jobs, but this would apply to all levels of City government, in my opinion.

SusanB
    Participant

Ten years ago, when my neighborhood was really ghastly, the neighborhood liaison cop told me to move. This is not a new response from CPD. With a lot of work and by making a lot of noise our CPD response is much much better. Good for those brave boys in Ganthers Place for going to the press and city council. It’s how to get it done.

rus
    rus
    Participant

jawjack187 wrote >>

In the future, I would like to see the state law changed to allow cities to mandate that officers and city workers for that matter must live within city boundaries.

Wasn’t a similar requirement from Cleveland to it’s employees thrown out by the courts?

JonMyers
    Participant

I’d love to see all city services pay and job security tied to better performance measures like the rest of us are subjected to in the private sector.

drew
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>
    I’d love to see all city services pay and job security tied to better performance measures like the rest of us are subjected to in the public sector.

Doubt it would ever happen, but I totally agree.

joev
    Participant

rus wrote >>

jawjack187 wrote >>
    In the future, I would like to see the state law changed to allow cities to mandate that officers and city workers for that matter must live within city boundaries.

Wasn’t a similar requirement from Cleveland to it’s employees thrown out by the courts?

Whether it’s better for the neighborhood or not, I think it’s unfair for a city to dictate where police or other public workers live. On the job, do your job. When you leave your job for the day, you can do as you please. Incentives would be far more productive and moral than mandates.

misskitty
    Participant

I really hate how people assume that only certain areas of town have hard-care criminals. That’s not the case at all We as people are always quick to look and judge a person or situation by sight.
    Little do many know that there is way more going on in out laying areas of the city and not just the city core. I am glad there are people out there that are going to stand together and not move.

JonMyers
    Participant

So much for Issue 1. I dare them to go out to the public for more money again.

jillg
    Participant

I believe that this story does illustrate a real problem, but I agree with others that it probably varies from cop to cop and neighborhood to neighborhood. At the Westgate Neighborhood Association meetings, seems that we regularly have Columbus police make an appearance to give us updates and to hear our concerns. (Although I haven’t made it to the last few meetings, so I’m not sure if they’re still doing that.)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: