Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Police Suggest that People Move from Crime-ridden Areas

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Police Suggest that People Move from Crime-ridden Areas

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
  • Author

http://dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/10/29/MOVEOUT.ART_ART_10-29-09_A1_FNFGPM5.html?sid=101

I know many people here live in these areas (I can’t believe my Hill area wasn’t mentioned here too). What do you all think of this?

Coreroc

I suggest police do their jobs and work to eliminate crime and crime ridden areas!!

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

unreal. anyone in their right mind is with you on this one, coreroc. unless….the cops are in on it all….hmmmmmmm

TaraK
    Participant

THAT is insane.

Jimmy Mak
    Jimmy Mak
    Participant

I live in Linden and call the police about every two weeks. They’ve shown up every time and in a very quick manner so I have no complaints.

Well, except for having to call the cops every two weeks.

Coreroc

Getting rid of crime takes more than showing up after a crime has been commited and reported!

greenhouse1014
    Participant

Biggest load of bullshit I’ve ever read. I know a couple of cops and, I have to admit, I can see them being part of this problem. It’s the same all over, though. A lot of people become cops to get the power of a badge and gun, then when they have to actually confront crime or do their job, they don’t want to deal with it. We DO have a LOT of really good cops, but it seems like the bad ones always get sent to teh bad neighborhoods.

coolbuckeye
    Participant

Police tell us to move out because it’s the solution they came up with for their own families. It’s easy to disconnect from an issue when you have no skin in the game. It would be a whole different story if police lived in the neighborhood they were patrolling.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

You’re exactly right! Most cops don’t live in the city, the idea that anyone would actually want to live there is foreign to them.

joev
    Participant

Porky wrote >>
    You’re exactly right! Most cops don’t live in the city, the idea that anyone would actually want to live there is foreign to them.

I guess your opinion of a place might be skewed if you only see the bad stuff that happens there.

rus
    rus
    Participant

greenhouse1014 wrote >>
    We DO have a LOT of really good cops, but it seems like the bad ones always get sent to teh bad neighborhoods.

Last time I checked, assignments within the Police were based on seniority. Sure, there may be an aptitude test to weed out some applicants, but after that those who have been there the longest have the greater chance of getting the assignment they want.

Add to that some administrative positions are filled with sworn officers ( you need a badge to administer windows servers? Really? )* and it seems it’s become a system designed to remove experienced officers from patrol duties.

So it may not be that “bad” officers are always assigned to the worst neighborhoods, but that the most inexperienced end up there. Once they gain seniority it seems likely they transfer out… taking their experience with them.

* NB: There’s the argument to be made that if the Police ask for administrative staff that’s seen as something to be cut in lean budget times while asking for uniformed officers is politically easier. That’s short sighted, but can explain uniformed officers serving in purely administrative positions.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Porky wrote >>

Well, there’s also the matter of the people police arrest knowing where they live… rather common for police to live in one neighborhood and patrol another.

somertimeoh
    Participant

Several friends of mine in LAPD and LAFD used a down payment assistance program where some agency gave them an interest free loan in order to keep cops and other emergency response people in the city and ideally near their stations/beats. Even shitty houses in LA are expensive so BIG down payments are needed to get loans. It’s been 7 or 8 years since I’ve seen them. I wonder what those neighborhoods are like now.

JonMyers
    Participant

I’m waiting for a formal announcement that says we should just move out of Columbus all together.

rus
    rus
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>
    I’m waiting for a formal announcement that says we should just move out of Columbus all together.

Didn’t “they” issue one of those for Detroit?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: