Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Police sting breaks extortion ring

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Police sting breaks extortion ring

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 91 total)
  • Author

Tenzo
    Participant

I was going to post this in the reguest for good android apps but I thought it might make a worthy post on its own

It started with Google latitude

You always here people say; “xxxx saved my life”

It literally did. I lost my phone and went to google lattitude on the web to see where it was. Strangely it was in an area of Columbus I have never been to. I drove there and sat out front and called the Columbus police. But no one answered.

Figuring I was screwed, I went to the Verizon store to get a new phone. Waiting in line I again checked latitude. My phone was on the move!

On a whim I texted my phone saying I’d give $100 for the phone.

To my surprise they accepted.

I called the police. They met me 1/2 mile from the arranged drop point.

They had an officer over 6 foot about 250# dress like me and go to the arranged place while they had 4 unmarked cars within visual. We tracked the phone as it came toward the post office at Parsons and Whittier.

It took them 15 minutes to believe the big guy was me. When they did, they asked him to step behind the post office to make the trade. As soon as the cop was behind the post office they started beating him. He went down and a call went out that an office was down.

Within seconds police cars flooded the area and copter was overhead. One guy was caught and the other fled into the house. The street in front of the house filled with cop cars, two guys went in the backyard, four cops went to the still open door, paused and a 4 guys with a modified shotguns and vests went in.

And ambulance showed up and the officer that was beaten was taken to the hospital with a broken nose and required two sets of stitches.

So in recommending apps, I’d say Google Latitude to track you phone and Google+; which I had set to automatically upload phone pictures to my Google+ account.

Because, of course, they were stupid enough to take pictures and movies of themselves. So my little Google+ avatar was changing to pictures of the thief.

One word of warning and another reason to post this.

When people loose stuff they sometimes post a reward on Craig’s List. Some criminals in Columbus will meet to return the item (even if they don’t have it) in a remote place, then beat the cryap out of you and rob you.

Thanks to the Columbus Police there are a few less.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Wow! Crazy story! :O

Did it end up making the news last night? I just checked the ABC6 website and didn’t see anything.

Tenzo
    Participant

Friends said it was on 5 & 6 at 5:00 last night
    I know that 6 is ABC, don’t know what 5 is.
    ABC titled the story; “Police sting goes bad” because of the officer in the ambulance. Which upset me because they should be getting good press for catching some very bad people.

The two guys who attacked the cop were up in front of a judge yesterday morning.
    Is that info posted anywhere? Be curious what they got charged with.

When they were setting up they asked me if I would press charges. I said I would if I was in Columbus when it went to trail. After I saw the cop in the ambulance I said I would come in no matter what the cost. They said don’t worry, after this the DA would pay my expenses.

I believe it is still unfolding

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I think 6 & 28 (ABC & FOX) have the same “NewsCenter” coverage, so maybe that’s what they were referring to.

Keep us posted with updates!

M.O.
    Participant

Silly question, but how did these guys know what “you” would be dressed like?

Tenzo
    Participant

M.O. said:
    Silly question, but how did these guys know what “you” would be dressed like?

Told them I would be wearing an orange backpack.
    It’s a kid’s backpack that I haul the dog around in.

What was hilarious (at the time) as even with the straps all the way out it didn’t fit him. He looked like Marty Feldman in young Frankenstein with a large orange hump up on his shoulders.

M.O.
    Participant

Tenzo said:
    Told them I would be wearing an orange backpack.
    It’s a kid’s backpack that I haul the dog around in.

What was hilarious (at the time) as even with the straps all the way out it didn’t fit him. He looked like Marty Feldman in young Frankenstein with a large orange hump up on his shoulders.

Thanks for sharing this story — brilliant. Hope the officer recovers quickly & the perps had a rough day in court.

Tenzo
    Participant

Just now received a phone call that the officer is out of the hospital and on vacation at home. The person who stole the phone has ‘turned herself in’. Since she has no record she has been released until the court date.

That implies that the other two are being held, but I did not ask.

The court date the other two had was just to charge and hold them. Their determination court date will likely be months from now.

jarsloth
    jarsloth
    Participant

Was the phone originally misplaced and picked up by the individual responsible, or did they actively lift it from you?

Tenzo
    Participant

jarsloth said:
    Was the phone originally misplaced and picked up by the individual responsible, or did they actively lift it from you?

Not lifted from my person. But not exactly misplaced.
    It’s still unfolding but it was in a place I had reasonable expectation of security. My computer and other stuff were there and it had restricted access that required a pass card and ID to get to. I believe a background check of everyone who had access to the area is required. The person(s) doing the acquisition had clean criminal record(s).

SusanB
    Participant

You’ve convinced me to put Google Latitude on my phone. I’m assuming that it will only show my location to the “friends” that I’ve chosen, right?

Tenzo
    Participant

Yes.
    You can track it yourself from your PC
    or you can SHARE it with friends and both people have to agree.
    Originally I used it between my wife and I because she has very mixed hours.
    We also use it when we go to New York. When you turn on your GPS it will tell you where the other person is within about 20 feet. (When the thieves were using it they turned on the GPS)

There is also a feature were you can turn on history. Which can be toggled from your google account on a PC.

(So the thieves were tagging themselves with the GPS, I was tracking their location from a PC and they were broadcasting pictures and movies of themselves to my Google+ account from their home.)

cc

note to self – do not steal Tenzo’s smartphone…

(props to Tenzo for having his shit together and busting them)

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Sheesh. What fools.

myliftkk
    Participant

hugh59 said:
    Sheesh. What fools.

Lol, they give thieves a bad name.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 91 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: