Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Police Response (or lack thereof...)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Police Response (or lack thereof…)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author

drew
    Participant

So early this morning a couple of miscreants tried to steal the spare tire from under our 15 passenger van. They got the tire off of the van, but were caught by a neighbor who observed the whole thing, yelled at them, and scared them off. They left the tire on the ground.

My neighbor called the police, but the police never came. I know the typical ‘wake up in the morning to find a smashed window on a car’ won’t rouse anything even approaching police interest, but I’m pretty surprised that an eyewitness means nothing to them. It doesn’t seem like they’re serious about even trying to stop this sort of crime.

Twixlen
    Participant

Here’s what I find so interesting about that….

I’ve been experiencing much the same thing, regarding reporting minor-but-still-a-crime stuff that happens, with one caveat. If I discover folks having sex in the park, 4 cop cars will be there within 5 minutes. A guy on a bike with a back pack checking for locked car doors doesn’t elicit a drive through.

lifeliberty
    Participant

I keep hearing of police not showing up when called, but I have never had a problem. They’ve showed last time my truck was broken into, and in a short amount of time, within 10 minutes, and they took a report then and there. Nothing was stolen, but a guy was walking down the street smashing windows and then coming back to loot the cars. this was about 3 years ago, maybe the redistricting has hurt them.

Tenzo
    Participant

Twixlen wrote >>
    Here’s what I find so interesting about that….
    I’ve been experiencing much the same thing, regarding reporting minor-but-still-a-crime stuff that happens, with one caveat. If I discover folks having sex in the park, 4 cop cars will be there within 5 minutes. A guy on a bike with a back pack checking for locked car doors doesn’t elicit a drive through.

Called about a guy in german village ducking into yards. He was wearing dark sweatshirt with a hoodie pulled up on a 90 degree day. Dispatcher took the information as to were and what he looked at, but didnt care about the direction the guy was going or what he was doing.
    OK, fine, get the hint.

And why do you tell about people having sex in the park. Just as long as they don’t scare the horses…….

rory
    Participant

I got excellent response time when I called about a running gun battle north of my house and also the time a guy was screaming about headless body that he had. Turned out it was just an Iraq flashback. In Weinland Park the response time has been phenomenal lately. Almost like, “How did you know?”.

Twixlen
    Participant

Tenzo wrote
    And why do you tell about people having sex in the park. Just as long as they don’t scare the horses…….

I can’t let my dog witness that crap! He’ll be scarred for life.

Mercurius
    Participant

My parent’s neighbor in Grove City had a car broken into Saturday night (doors unlocked) and the police came and dusted for prints.

drew
    Participant

Re redistricting – It’s funny, since redistricting I’ve seen an almost absurd amount of police cars roaming the streets around here during the day. Victorian Village is pretty damned calm during the day. At night? Can’t get one even when there’s an actual crime!

JonMyers
    Participant

Back in June I set off the alarm on a Sunday morning at a friend’s house on Park street in VV. I locked myself out of the house, my phone was inside, and I was waiting on the cops to show up so I could go get back up keys at my apartment.

In all it took the cops about 45 minutes to show up at 9AM on a Sunday morning.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

drew wrote >>
    Re redistricting – It’s funny, since redistricting I’ve seen an almost absurd amount of police cars roaming the streets around here during the day. Victorian Village is pretty damned calm during the day. At night? Can’t get one even when there’s an actual crime!

I’m wondering if that is due to the shifting of everything in the short north south of 2nd ave and downtown out of dispatch zone 4 into the dispatch zone 5. Zone 5 is hella busy at night ’cause it also includes south east of downtown.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Mercurius wrote >>
    My parent’s neighbor in Grove City had a car broken into Saturday night (doors unlocked) and the police came and dusted for prints.

Wow. That’s the first time I’ve heard of a car break in rating forensics. Sounds like your parent’s neighbor has a bit of pull.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Twixlen wrote >>

Tenzo wrote

I can’t let my dog witness that crap! He’ll be scarred for life.

*arf arf reeeooofff! ARF!*

translation: how dare they call THAT doggie style!

Oak
    Participant

I can “maybe” shed a little light into the dispatching process for Columbus. Calls that come in aren’t done on a first come, they are assigned a priority status; essentially a triage system. Higher priority calls get pushed to the top of the queue in a constantly changing lineup. It is possible and happens on a fairly frequent basis that low priority calls (i.e. property crime reports) get pushed to the bottom and maybe don’t make their way to the top of the pile until the next day! That’s because higher priority calls (felonies and violent crimes in progress) keep flowing in. While this system does make you wait on occasion, it does assure that resources are freed up when really bad things are happening. I’m sure that you wouldn’t want police response to a moving gun battle to be delayed because they were taking a report of a smashed car window. Columbus Police also have a self-reporting system that you can use to report crimes if you don’t want to wait on an officer.

melikecheese
    Participant

I watched the people next door selling drugs on the street with other cars as the source, saw over ten cars stop and make purchases within 15 mins.

Called police, gave plate numbers, described what was happening, 15 mins later they were gone, people next door went inside and cops never came. This wasn’t a some kids are stealing hurry up or you will miss them, this was, yup they are just working in the street, I am watching money go from hand to hand to hand and small bags go back to hand to hand to hand, come on over and get them kinda thing. But I guess they were too busy, or maybe already arrested enough people that month.

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

the sunday after comfest i arrived back at my shop to find 2 people stealing metal and equipment from the neighboring building. they ripped the back wall off with there truck and was loading it up. i called the police reported a burglary in progress. her very first question was “is this an abandoned building?” well that pissed me off. i told her it was a building used for storage and its being robbed so please send someone. i waited 10 min called back, her response was they are too busy. i hung up grabbed a hammer and jumped in my truck, blocked their vehicle in and hit them with a 1.5 mill lumen side light. they came out with hands up, at that point all i could was wait. kept the light in their eyes and made them back to the wall. they got restless so i called back. told them i had them faced on the wall hands in then air, dispatcher said they are on their way. now mind you there is a police station 2 blocks away on town st. i could hear the officers testing there sirens it was shift change. 5 min no cops, the thieves tried to flank me so i took off on foot back to my shop. the thieves also ran off on foot…

long story short i walked to town st and had to flag down a police car, the officers weren’t even aware of the call. they took their truck 3 days later a detective called me i filed a complaint. whats funny is every time i talk to the cops now they ask me about that night. i guess it stirred things up at the station.

i have no problem protecting the neighbors and my property, i just wish the cops would to. that night was completely unacceptable, even after i called and said that i had confronted them they still would not come and they were 2 blocks away. honestly i have learned a few things when dealing with 911. ask for their tech number and tell them you think they have a gun. from my first call to me flagging them down 25 min had passed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: