Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Police Proposal to Split Short North Precinct

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Police Proposal to Split Short North Precinct

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 114 total)
  • Author

Tigertree

Yes, I said that, and it’s true. In my mind this is no different than the parking meter debacle from a pr standpoint. I have witnessed ripple effects of 3 “crime rings” in the Short North. Two or three stores getting robbed down here or a string of cars getting broken into (and publicized) and it causes some people to feel uncomfortable coming down here.

JonMyers
    Participant

@Labi – An increase or decrease in crime really has nothing to do with gentrification.

agtw31

JonMyers wrote >>
    agtw31 – How will they improve police response times with fewer cops?

jon,that’s easy

if you want a cop quick,just say somebody has a gun

JonMyers
    Participant

lol – never thought of it like that.. :P

rus
    rus
    Participant

He’s got a point.

No guns, no one cares.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/02/13/water_plant_breakin.ART_ART_02-13-10_B1_RLGJ2VM.html

Although they insist that central Ohio’s water supply is secure, Columbus Public Utilities officials acknowledged yesterday that a recent break-in at a North Side treatment plant went undetected for as long as two weeks.

Whoever cut holes in two fences at the Hap Cremean Water Plant stole 200 feet of copper wire from an electricity substation, Power and Water Division spokeswoman Laura Young Mohr said. She said the substation is separated from the area where 67 million gallons of water is treated daily for residents of northern Franklin County and the Ohio State University campus.

The plant is on 148 acres on Morse Road east of I-270.

A Columbus police report indicates the break-in occurred sometime between 6 p.m. Jan. 14 and 1 p.m. Jan. 30, a span of 15 days and 19 hours.

The plant’s security cameras were working during the break-in but failed to detect someone cutting holes in two fences, removing wire from electricity transformers and carrying it off the plant grounds, Mohr said.

goldenidea
    Participant

@Labi – An increase or decrease in crime really has nothing to do with gentrification.

While I agree that crime waves happen no matter how gentrified a neighborhood is, and also that hightened gentification (i.e. a higher affluence gradient) can result in more crime events, I would venture that increaingly gentrified areas typically have less crime, or at least less serious crime.

I’ve lived in VV since the mid-80’s. I’ve always felt that the Short North in general has remarkably little serious crime given its urban location. The vast majority of our our crime is car break-ins. I’ve experienced it and I know dozens others who also have. It’s not fun to have your car broken into, but cost-wise and hassle-wise it’s not much worse than getting your car towed for street cleaning, which also happens all the time.

High Street crime sprees and the occasional agg-robbery (my dear wife experienced this) are much more serious, but still not very common. While there is more serious crime, I think that’s the consequence of now much more affluent neighborhood has become. But if you look at the amount of crime and the economic (and even emotional/psychological) consequences of the crime vs. the overall rise in “value” or quality of the neighborhood, along with a much great number of more wealthy people inhabiting it, the SN is as safe or safer than it has ever been and safer then many similar neighborhoods in this and other cities.

Without being a crime expert and w/o a lot of statistical analysis, it’s hard to back up any claim, so this is merely my sense of the neighborhood. BTW, I grew up on the east-side of Cleveland in a nice neighborhood, but traveled through and went to school for eight years commuting through some extremely tough places on my way to/from the center city. JMO, I wouldn’t trade the SN’s setting and crime stats for any comparable neighborhood (if any exist at our scale and quality) in Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Indy, Cincinnati, or even Chicago.

I also think (but can’t prove) that police response times and police presence are important deterrents to crime, and if those drop in the SN because of this realignment, we may see more serious crime. Criminals know where the money is, they also size up their chances of getting caught while choosing where to strike. Lower police presence and higher response time will make it easier to commit and get away with crime.

agtw31

it is your responsibility to make yourself safe from crime,not the cops.

the cops aren’t society’s babysitters.

if cops stopped crime,they would be out of a job.

JonMyers
    Participant

@ agtw31 – Trust me, I would LOVE to get all vigilante. Love it. I would have no issues with it and would delight in cracking some of these fuckers with a bat.

The problem is that the law doesn’t provide me with the proper framework to “keep myself safe” without the possibility of serious financial and legal risk. Therefore, when a criminal or potentially criminal situation presents itself I have to call the cops.

Less cops means it takes longer for them to show up, which means the same perpetrators commit crimes again and again and are never caught because the cops can never show up in time.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

I guess the thing I find problematic is not the reduction in the number of officers on the streets, it’s the removal of cops with experience in the area. I could see reducing the number of cops in the precinct if that is necessary, but leaving the ones who have experience with the area here in the neighborhood.

I’m no lover of the police, but I’d rather see some 10-15 year vet who knows the neighborhood and it’s people out there than some pimply faced rookie with no ties to the neighborhood. Even better if you can partner the two and train up the rookie so that when the vet wants to retire or move on, the rookie has experience here and an understanding of the neighborhood.

rory
    Participant

I’m going to boldly say that I’m not sure that fewer cops means more crime or that losing a cop that’s been in the neighborhood for 10 years is a tragedy. A veteran cop might know all the neighborhood players but in my experience more often than not that just equals the attitude of “that’s just the way it is” or “you should move to a better neighborhood” line of thinking. Last summer the cops caught two guys in a placarded house I was renovating standing in the kitchen with a crowbar, a jimmied window, smoking a joint and drinking a 40 oz. And the cops let them go with nary an acceptable explanation to this day. I’ll take a fired up, law and order rookie any day or just one that does their job rather than just being concerned about the numbers or where they’ve been.

Or in other words you may not notice a decrease in quality of service.

agtw31

JonMyers wrote >>
    @ agtw31 – Trust me, I would LOVE to get all vigilante. Love it. I would have no issues with it and would delight in cracking some of these fuckers with a bat.

if you don’t pick that cigarette butt back up,im going to blow your head clean off

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Facebook Group: Don’t Dissolve 1st Precinct

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=306106662071

JonMyers
    Participant

Thanks for posting Walker.

rory
    Participant

So the 4th precinct just extends down to 3rd instead of 7th?

rory
    Participant

rory wrote >>
    So the 4th precinct just extends down to 3rd instead of 7th?

Having answered my own question, with the exception of fewer officers I don’t think this is the end of the world, especially for Weinland Park. Now when those pesky kids in all black shoot up cars and people at the park and the school they don’t immediately cross the precinct line. I’ve been led to understand that this slows down the response times. Maybe this will slow down the running gun battles of late.

And if you live north of 3rd, remember, no snitching!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 114 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: