Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Police Proposal to Split Short North Precinct

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Police Proposal to Split Short North Precinct

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 114 total)
  • Author
    NickWarzy
    NickWarzy
    Participant

In recent weeks, CPD Brass unveiled plans to redraw some police precincts including #1 — Short North area.

The current northern boundary is 5th Avenue, but plans are to change it to 3rd Avenue. This splits the Short North neighborhoods (Harrison West, Italian & Victorian Villages) and puts certain areas on different police radio channels as 3rd Avenue will also be the police district boundary.

The SN has an overall low crime rate and I think this is in jeopardy. The Italian Village Society wrote a letter to Safety Director Mitchell J. Brown and Council Public Safety Chair Andy Ginther in opposition of this change and has proposed keeping the 5th Avenue boundary.

I am working with the Italian Village Block Watch on more communication to the City. If you’d like to help by sending a letter/email or attending any future CPD meetings contact them at Italian Village Block Watch

JonMyers
    Participant

What is the reasoning behind the split and how would that impact policing in both areas affected by the split?

NickWarzy
    NickWarzy
    Participant

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/01/16/redistrict.ART_ART_01-16-10_B1_JNGANPH.html

According to the article:
    …Columbus Police Chief Walter Distelzweig unveiled a sweeping proposal that he thinks will increase efficiency on the street.

The 1st precinct, which encompasses the Short North logged only 25,156 calls for service that year. That was factored into the decision to dissolve the precinct into two adjoining precincts.

JonMyers
    Participant

NickWarzy wrote >>
    http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/01/16/redistrict.ART_ART_01-16-10_B1_JNGANPH.html
    …Columbus Police Chief Walter Distelzweig unveiled a sweeping proposal that he thinks will increase efficiency on the street.
    The 1st precinct, which encompasses the Short North logged only 25,156 calls for service that year. That was factored into the decision to dissolve the precinct into two adjoining precincts.

Cool, thanks for sharing the link.

Honestly, I still don’t understand.. :) – sorry.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’ve been thinking about this topic quite a bit this week… posted some thoughts here:

http://www.walkerevanseffect.com/blog/changing-the-workday-lunch-culture/

cyclist II
    Participant

Whatever happens, PCT 1 office never got the Christmas/End of Year Business Thank You card I sent them as it got “return to sender”. So I hope they can get a more established address by next Winter.

labi
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    I’ve been thinking about this topic quite a bit this week… posted some thoughts here:

I didn’t see anything there about the precinct changes… Am I missing something?

blammo
    Participant

labi wrote >>

Walker wrote >>

I didn’t see anything there about the precinct changes… Am I missing something?

i suspect walker had a few too many drinks at lunch & posted in the wrong thread.

somertimeoh
    Participant

The stats may be low because a lot of people don’t report property crime (me included, sorry). Now I feel bad as I alone had 3 unreported incidents in the last 24 months. I think if you can secure the areas around the neighborhood, mostly to the north, then wouldn’t that help all of our neighborhoods in the end? If splitting the precinct allows for more officers north of 3rd then I don’t see how that can be a bad thing.

adrock

JonMyers wrote >>

NickWarzy wrote >>

i think it doesn’t make sense because the subject for the post doesn’t make sense. they don’t want to split the short north into two precincts, they want to dissolve the precinct so that it doesn’t exist and the area gets combined with 2 other precincts.

i can only see this meaning less officers in the short north.

somertimeoh
    Participant

Adrock, thanks for the clarification, that is a different situation than just adjusting the lines.

JonMyers
    Participant

adrock wrote >>

JonMyers wrote >>

NickWarzy wrote >>

i think it doesn’t make sense because the subject for the post doesn’t make sense. they don’t want to split the short north into two precincts, they want to dissolve the precinct so that it doesn’t exist and the area gets combined with 2 other precincts.
    i can only see this meaning less officers in the short north.

Maybe the police chief has taken up crack smoking as well.

NickWarzy
    NickWarzy
    Participant

Right, sorry, they want to ‘split’ or dissolve the existing 1st precinct into two adjoining ones.

Maybe I should have titled it differently…it’s all 20/20 to me now :)

labi
    Participant

It doesn’t seem all that crazy to me as a basic organizing principle to allocate and/or organize officers according to how much criminal activity is going on. Although no one likes to see fewer officers in their own area, the fact remains that Italian Village is no longer what it once was in terms of criminal activity, and that’s not just a factor of the number of officers.

Also, just because the total number of officers is being organized/supervised differently, doesn’t mean a particular area will have less officers – does it?

JonMyers
    Participant

labi wrote >>
    It doesn’t seem all that crazy to me as a basic organizing principle to allocate and/or organize officers according to how much criminal activity is going on. Although no one likes to see fewer officers in their own area, the fact remains that Italian Village is no longer what it once was in terms of criminal activity, and that’s not just a factor of the number of officers.
    Also, just because the total number of officers is being organized/supervised differently, doesn’t mean a particular area will have less officers – does it?

From the amount of crime anecdotes I hear about to following data on CrimeReports.com it appears to me that crime is actually up, not down. It doesn’t sound that different from redistricting to favor one’s political party or in this case the police’s interests where I would venture a guess there is a performance incentive in place.

Just one more thing that confirms I need to get busy and follow through on an exit strategy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 114 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: