Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

City Campus - Renovation of Downtown City Offices

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development City Campus – Renovation of Downtown City Offices

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author

columbusmike
    Participant

futureman said:
    I recall reading that the city bought the parking garage across the street so they would no longer need that surface lot.

Good to hear. They may likely be using that parking lot as a transition and lay-down space for the construction. I think the park will add nice relief from all the asphalt and blank parking garages on Front Street.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The glass is filling in and looking nice… from here: https://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-april-2012

Graybeak
    Participant

First time I saw this coming down Gay St. it brought this to mind.

ntn4502

Wow! I worked outside of there for a month straight back in August-September, and I can’t even recognize that it’s the same building.

Oak
    Participant

I’m glad that they’re getting a new building. The old one looked very “80’s”. Hopefully this one will have a more timeless look. Speaking of the old building – my dad had an office there right after it first was built and said the first good hard rain they had after they opened it – the whole place leaked like a sieve. He said there were buckets everywhere and just puddles on the floor. The wet suspended ceiling tiles were turning to mush and just falling. He said at one point it was so bad there was a stream running down the steps. Hopefully the new place will be better sealed.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

This is a renovated building, not a new one.

But yeah, hopefully it’s properly sealed up. ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Some new construction photos, here:

Construction Roundup: August 2012 Part 1

Brian J. Robinson
    Brian J. Robinson
    Participant

Very cool looking building!! I believe there was talk before of combining the renovation of the Police building and the building that sits next door to (not sure of what the name is) into a complex removing the parking lots and closing off the section of the street that is in between them and adding a large green space there. Is this still happening? Or I a mistaken?

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

The green space is still happening and the buildings will be conncected, I believe, by a tunnel.

Brian J. Robinson
    Brian J. Robinson
    Participant

Very Cool!

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2013/04/17/urban-renewal.html

Does anyone know if any renderings of the new city building have been put out?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Very pretty new building. I like it a lot mixed in with the older buildings around it. Took some photos last weekend.

Here: https://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-april-2013-part-1

jbcmh81
    Participant

I don’t know if this should be split off from this since it is technically a separate project, but I keep reading about the building at 109 N. Front being torn down to be replaced with a new office building. It will cost up to $60 million and be 100,000 square feet or so. No height has been given that I’ve seen, but how tall would a 100K sf building potentially be? I remember seeing something similar for the space at Columbus Commons and people talking about that being 20 stories minimum. Anyone have more details on this?

futureman
    Participant

100,000 isn’t all that big. To give you an idea, the office building at Grandview Yard is 96,000sf. I do think the site a bit bigger, so 100k at to be demolished city building could be 4 or 5 stories (maybe?).

jbcmh81
    Participant

futureman said:
    100,000 isn’t all that big. To give you an idea, the office building at Grandview Yard is 96,000sf. I do think the site a bit bigger, so 100k at to be demolished city building could be 4 or 5 stories (maybe?).

The last thing I wanted to see is another 5-story building Downtown, but you’re probably right.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION