Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Pokemon.... Is There Anything Good About It?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Pokemon…. Is There Anything Good About It?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author

Rockmastermike
    Participant

JimL2 wrote >>
    As for Pokemon, it teaches you to believe in yourself and the value of friendship and proper care of animals

LOL, that’s like saying a guide to dog fighting teaches “proper care of animals”.

And, I believe the name you’re looking for is “Pikachu”.

gah… why do I even know this?

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Columbus Music Co-op wrote >>
    my little twin brothers had a pokemon themed 5th birthday party. in 1994.

Are you sure? Satoshi Tajiri didn’t come up with the concept until 1995, and the first games weren’t released in Japan until 1996. ;)

Rockmastermike: No, it’s Squirtle, I checked wikipedia.

Manatee: This is my favorite game to play with kids who are “into” things. You might want to try it with your daughter. Sample dialogue: “So… is that stone one Squirtle?” “NO MOOOOM THAT’S GEODUDE.” “Ohhh… so does he evolve into Squirtle, or..?”

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

ATTN ROCKMASTERMIKE:

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

honavery wrote >>

von wrote >>
    yeah, i never really understood them. weren’t they described as milk caps or something like that? and to “play” you threw them at a pile?? i may have NO idea what i am talking about at this hour, but…

I believe you’re referring to pogs.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogs

yeah, i was, manatee mentioned them in her last post on page 1.

ya know, i had no idea Pokemon was even making a come back. it was big like 10 years ago, right? is it all the same, or did they revamp them a bit.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

JimL2 wrote >>

I am actually relieved to be wrong.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

fig. 1: Squirtle

somertimeoh
    Participant

aaminian wrote >>
    Although this would probably make for a much cooler “Ash” avatar

Please don’t. I won’t be able to check CU at work anymore. Coooold shower time!!! :)

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

GUIDE TO THE POKEMEN POKEPERSONS

fig. 2: Asteroth

fig. 3: Ash Ketchum
    (n.b. “Ash Ketchup” in original Japanese release)

JimL2 wrote >>

Columbus Music Co-op wrote >>
    my little twin brothers had a pokemon themed 5th birthday party. in 1994.

Are you sure? Satoshi Tajiri didn’t come up with the concept until 1995, and the first games weren’t released in Japan until 1996. ;)
    Manatee: This is my favorite game to play with kids who are “into” things. You might want to try it with your daughter. Sample dialogue: “So… is that stone one Squirtle?” “NO MOOOOM THAT’S GEODUDE.” “Ohhh… so does he evolve into Squirtle, or..?”

oh. maybe that was a later birthday? i know they were TOTALLY into pokemon…WAIT. 5th birthday was POWER RANGERS.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Oh god, Power Rangers. Now that I buy. I hope everyone’s aware that that franchise is still around, as well.

And hey, Amy Jo Johnson is now 38 years old, so that’s something to consider.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

JimL2 wrote >>
    Oh god, Power Rangers. Now that I buy. I hope everyone’s aware that that franchise is still around, as well.
    And hey, Amy Jo Johnson is now 38 years old, so that’s something to consider.

is that a link to those naked pics of her that have been floating around the ‘net?

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Does the URL look like a link to that? I can’t see from here, because I’m using a browser that doesn’t let me see where the link is going before I click on it. The browser I am using is called “Firefox 3 Compild Incorrectly” [sic]

Rockmastermike
    Participant

JimL2 wrote >>
    Does the URL look like a link to that? I can’t see from here, because I’m using a browser that doesn’t let me see where the link is going before I click on it. The browser I am using is called “Firefox 3 Compild Incorrectly” [sic]

only a total wimp looks at the URL in the status bar before clicking it. If you can’t stand the goatse stay out of the intertubes.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

See, this is just the kind of fine adult conversation that I miss when alternating between work and Pokeworld. Or the Pokeverse. Whatever.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

I meant to mention… another good thing about Pokemon is it has bite-sized stories in a varied universe with both predictable and unpredictable characters. So it’s at least a start for young minds who want to predict the future of story arcs in a large, varied universe.

You might want to try using it, for example, as a story prompt… asking your daughter what Pokemon she would choose for her loadout and why (as a rock-paper-scissors kind of logic lesson), or asking her what she thinks happens one of the main groups when they’re not shown on TV, for instance between two of the story arcs. Maybe get her to write down her stories and you two can act them out, or ask her why she chose to include certain plot possibilities rather than others.

Anyway, since you’re not going to be able to make her stop by force, you might as well try to use it as an educational opportunity…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: