Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Pokemon.... Is There Anything Good About It?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Pokemon…. Is There Anything Good About It?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author

NerosNeptune
    Participant

“Pokemon…. Is There Anything Good About It?”

Uh, everything?

KSquared

AmyD wrote >>
    tennessee was WAY into about 9 years ago. so now i have some cool t-shirts, but it was harmless. it will go away, only to be replaced by teen angst. consider yourself lucky

+ the number of times my daughter has snorted derisively, rolled her eyes and stormed out of the room since she became a teen. Hint: it’s a high number.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

honavery wrote >>
    I’m amazed at how long this has been able to stay popular.

+1 to that. The first video game was released in the US in 1998, over 10 years ago. Not that video game franchises haven’t existed longer, but everything about Pokemon seems to spell out “short-lived fad” and the kids today are still into it. Weird.

Anyway, I’d say that the most redeeming thing about it is the fact that the games (both video game and card game) seem to be fairly complex and require quite a bit of critical thinking and analysis to play them. I remember playing the first pokemon gameboy game when I was 18 (yes, I was (and still am) a huge nerd) and being pretty stunned at how deep of an RPG it actually is. Especially considering that many of the most hardcore players were in the 7-to-12-year-old demographic, and these types of games are generally more geared for teens and upward. Sure… the dialogue is cutesy, but the story is fairly engaging and the gameplay elements are very well laid out. Simple to learn, but tough to completely master. Sort of like playing Rock, Paper, Scissors, except with 151 kinds of items, and each one having 5 different types of ways to play them.

But yeah… sorry Mandy… I know you’re not too keen on video games, so the last thing you probably want her to do is bury her nose in that whole part of the Pokemon mega-verse. ;)

honavery

I admit to watching the cartoon some in college….there was a very amusing episode where they gave the Pokemon subtitles. So even though they just say their name over and over again, they were engaging in fairly complicated conversations….

I also remember how during the Gamecubes run, everyone was saying Nintendo was going to drop out of the hardware business because they didn’t have enough money….I would just laugh because they were making so much money on Pokemon.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Well, the weird thing is, it’s struck me how much learning the different Pokemon characters seems like learning phylogeny or taxonomy. So, acclimating children to complex systems of relatedness seems OK. It’s a lot like any other kind of collecting. I guess I just collected rocks, or plant IDs, or what have you.

I mean, I am just trying to wrap my head around this. She’s not a dummling, so there must be something to it.

Although this time around, at least as far as I know, no pogs are involved, remember those? :)

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

yeah, i never really understood them. weren’t they described as milk caps or something like that? and to “play” you threw them at a pile?? i may have NO idea what i am talking about at this hour, but…

michaelcoyote
    Participant

aaminian
    Participant

Can’t stand that Pokemon crap ;)

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Hahahaha aaminian, my kid has seen your avatar many times and highly approves :)

She said, “You get to choose whatever you want to put on there? Can I go on there?”

I’ve repeated this many times, but one of the funniest things I ever heard JimL2 say was when he said that if he ever has children, he is going to tell them that the Internet “burned down”.

honavery

von wrote >>
    yeah, i never really understood them. weren’t they described as milk caps or something like that? and to “play” you threw them at a pile?? i may have NO idea what i am talking about at this hour, but…

I believe you’re referring to pogs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogs

whoa. i cannot believe that pokemon are still so popular with the kids…my little twin brothers had a pokemon themed 5th birthday party. in 1994.

aaminian
    Participant

Manatee wrote >>
    Hahahaha aaminian, my kid has seen your avatar many times and highly approves :)
    She said, “You get to choose whatever you want to put on there? Can I go on there?”
    I’ve repeated this many times, but one of the funniest things I ever heard JimL2 say was when he said that if he ever has children, he is going to tell them that the Internet “burned down”.

lol. The strange thing is that my choice of avatar has nothing to do with an affinity for Pokemon. My first name is Ashley (I’m a dude) so I generally go by Ash (hence the Ash avatar).

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

I don’t remember saying that, but I agree with my historical self. It’s a solid plan and I see no flaws in it.

As for Pokemon, it teaches you to believe in yourself and the value of friendship and proper care of animals, and it’s all couched in a lovable scheme to get parents to buy their children playing cards, video games, video game systems, movies, shirts, plush dolls, hats (for decoration only), birthday cakes, sports equipment, band-aids, cell phones, commemorative ponchos, stickers, stationery, special 10th anniversary edition Monopoly board games, cosplay equipment, tooth brushes and flavored tooth pastes, gardening tools, portable high-fidelity CD players with AM/FM tuners, car fresheners, temporary tattoos, comic books, strategy guides, keychains, bicycle helmets, soup stock, roombas, USB mice, ice cream novelties, HDTV tuners, legos, floppy disks, and caffeinated beverages–all emblazoned with the adorable face of Pikaman.

Or whatever that guy’s name is. The yellow one. Is that Squirtle? Ask your daughter if the yellow one is Squirtle.

aaminian
    Participant

Although this would probably make for a much cooler “Ash” avatar

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Columbus Music Co-op wrote >>
    whoa. i cannot believe that pokemon are still so popular with the kids…my little twin brothers had a pokemon themed 5th birthday party. in 1994.

Are you sure? The original game was released in Japan in 95 and in the US in 98. ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: