Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Election Day 2013

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Election Day 2013

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author

When it comes to national elections, I’ll admit to being more than a little jaded about the voting process. . . but Tuesday’s ballot has lots of local issues and candidates: our votes will really count.

I just wanted to post a little nag to help get out the vote. I have some strong feelings on a couple of issues. As a parent of CCS students, I’m hoping and praying that Mike Wiles keeps his seat -he’s been the only responsive board member, in my experience (hence, I’m a volunteer for the Wiles campaign). I’m also voting against 50/51 -but really, I just hope there’s a decent voter turn out.

Columbus government could be so much better and so much more accountable, if all its residents cared enough to vote their beliefs!

AmyJ
    Participant

Yes, please get out and vote! Issues 50 & 51 can really change the face of public education and not necessarily for the better, so educate yourself and hit the polls!

I’ll give Mike Wiles a plug too. He’s the only school board member that was demanding transparency, accountability, and reform and he really deserves to keep his spot at the table.

labi
    Participant

If you’re still slightly hazy on candidates for judge, school board, or city council, the League of Women Voters has a very helpful Voter Information Bulletin. Fifteen minutes later, I feel much better prepared to go to the polls.

The guide covers everything being voted on today in central Ohio.

cmcmenemy
    Participant

Agreed! Get out and vote today! Please don’t think that your vote isn’t important. Every vote counts!

I’ll encourage everyone to vote NO on Issues 50 & 51. The Columbus City Schools district has no detailed plan to back the 24% tax hike, and the increase in property tax and rents will make it even harder for families to meet their basic needs. Kids won’t do better in school when they have less money for food.

I’m also voting for Mike Wiles for school board. He’s the only one I can fully support based on his record and my meetings with the candidates!

Analogue Kid
    Participant

No on 50 & 51, yes on Wiles.

Also did anyone else read the LWV questionnaire for the guy running against Hugh Dorrian? LOL…

Twixlen
    Participant

Analogue Kid said:

Also did anyone else read the LWV questionnaire for the guy running against Hugh Dorrian? LOL…

Yes! He’s like The Onion candidate.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Analogue Kid said:

Wow.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Vote Macke for Environmental Judge, he’ll put the boot down on McGee!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Analogue Kid said:

More info available on his website…

http://www.igorforohio.com/

SteveKZ087
    Participant

rus said:
    Wow.

I thought the same thing. At first I had “Ooh! Not an incumbent!” intrigue. Needless to say, it didn’t take very long to read his platform.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I can’t stop googling this dude. Here’s a great exchange I found, sounds like something straight out of Eastern Promises:

Columbus Auditor Hugh Dorrian has had some odd moments in his 47-year political career, but what happened Monday night was a doozy.

During a break in the city council meeting, Igor Ternovsky, Dorrian’s opponent in the November election, approached him in a hallway.

“I want to know if you will agree to a political deal,” said Ternovsky, who was wearing un-City Hall-like tattered jeans, sneakers and an oversize coat.

Stunned, Dorrian didn’t know what to say. He gathered himself and replied: “I don’t do political deals, especially with my opponents.”

Ternovsky, currently a Libertarian, told Dorrian he was starting his own political party and suggested Dorrian work out a deal because he was close to retirement. The implication was for Dorrian to step aside.

“Maybe you think about it and get back to me,” Ternovsky said.

Dorrian, 77, repeated that he wouldn’t consider any deal. Ternovsky hurried away without any more details.

“I’ve never experienced anything like that in my life,” Dorrian told a reporter who witnessed the exchange.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2013/03/21/candidate-already-ready-to-start-dealing.html

rus
    rus
    Participant

SteveKZ087 said:
    I thought the same thing. At first I had “Ooh! Not an incumbent!” intrigue. Needless to say, it didn’t take very long to read his platform.

Yeah. Definitely in “smile, nod, and slowly back away” territory.

Geno99
    Participant

We’re planning to vote. The hardest thing is always figuring out the judges.

Eugene_C
    Participant

Geno99 said:
    We’re planning to vote. The hardest thing is always figuring out the judges.

The League of Women Voters publishes a guide to the judicial candidates that includes a bio and a questionnaire that the candidates fill out. It is probably the best guide, IMHO:

http://lwvcols.org/voting/vib.php

There are also guides to other issues.

Senator Tankerbell
    Participant

Walker said:
    More info available on his website…

http://www.igorforohio.com/

My favorite part of his website is the header that features a map of Colorado, Utah and Arizona.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: