Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Platform Beer (Cleveland) setting up shop near Columbus State

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Platform Beer (Cleveland) setting up shop near Columbus State

This topic contains 23 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by King Gambrinus King Gambrinus 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Platform is a good addition to the community.

^^^ this.

whopper jr
    whopper jr
    Participant

I used to live in St. Louis and there were several microbreweries off the beaten path that were very successful. If the product is good, people will migrate. Plus, this location is a little isolated, but still not far from downtown, Italian Village, etc.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I used to live in St. Louis and there were several microbreweries off the beaten path that were very successful.

We have those here too. Actual is located out by the Airport, Zaftig is on Schrock Road, CBC is now in Valleyview, Hoof Hearted is (primarily) in Marengo, etc…

RedStorm
    Participant

Unless you think that beer drinkers will suddenly stop wanting to drink craft beer and will go back to Budweiser…is that it?

You mean America, right? http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2016/05/10/budweiser-renames-cans-beer-america-anheuser-busch/84176886/

Re: breweries in Columbus/Ohio – I believe the ABV limit was a hold up for Stone? Seems like that limit is going away (I don’t think any other states around have that law) so it’s possible other breweries from elsewhere in the country/world will consider Ohio even more than before. Link – http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2016/05/18/statehouse-kills-abv-limit-on-beer-in-victory-for.html

The article also states that Ohio is up to some 200+ breweries at the moment.

DouginCMH
    Participant

Stone claims the abv limit wasn’t substantial in their decision to go to Richmond. I tend to believe them, since the limits of the law were well known to Stone (Ohio is their largest market east of the Rockies) and there would have been no reason to make Columbus one of their finalists if the abv limitation was a deal-breaker.

That said, we’ll never really know, I suppose. I’m thrilled the law is finally changing, though I don’t think it’ll change my drinking habits very much.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Stone claims the abv limit wasn’t substantial in their decision to go to Richmond. I tend to believe them, since the limits of the law were well known to Stone (Ohio is their largest market east of the Rockies) and there would have been no reason to make Columbus one of their finalists if the abv limitation was a deal-breaker.

That said, we’ll never really know, I suppose. I’m thrilled the law is finally changing, though I don’t think it’ll change my drinking habits very much.

Pretty sure Richmond gave them everything but the kitchen sink in incentives/tax breaks. And that was the major factor..

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pretty sure Richmond gave them everything but the kitchen sink in incentives/tax breaks. And that was the major factor..

^ This.

I’m fairly certain that the team from Columbus that was pulling for Stone to come here practically guaranteed that the Ohio ABV could be changed/updated prior to their brewing facility being operational, as the economic driver of their facility would help expedite the legislation in a very nonpartisan fashion. So I doubt that was a factor at all in their decision making.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Stone? never heard of ’em.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>whopper jr wrote:</div>
    I used to live in St. Louis and there were several microbreweries off the beaten path that were very successful.

We have those here too. Actual is located out by the Airport, Zaftig is on Schrock Road, CBC is now in Valleyview, Hoof Hearted is (primarily) in Marengo, etc…

I agree with the gist of your comment and I’d also add a brewery like Rockmill or even Homestead to the list. But I’d say that for Hoof Hearted they’re basically an Italian Village Brewery now. I don’t think their other location even had a tap room.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: