Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Planks on Parsons

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Planks on Parsons

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

predhead7

I heard a rumor that Plank’s is closed for a short time because of a health code violation. Can any GV people confirm or deny this?

dlm
    Participant

Here are their Health Department reports. Health Department

saralinds

We ordered pizza (delivery) from them yesterday.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

dlm said:
    Here are their Health Department reports. Health Department

I had no idea the regs were so freaking strict. Amazed there aren’t tons more violations for restaurants everywhere. None of those would cause me to think twice about eating somewhere.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    I had no idea the regs were so freaking strict. Amazed there aren’t tons more violations for restaurants everywhere. None of those would cause me to think twice about eating somewhere.

” Observed German potato salad was made yesterday was still holding at 50 degrees, the potato salad was not cooled properly. All other items in the coolers were working properly “

uh. i dunno… ‘tater salad at 50 degrees for that long? That actually kinda makes me cringe a little.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Rockmastermike said:
    ” Observed German potato salad was made yesterday was still holding at 50 degrees, the potato salad was not cooled properly. All other items in the coolers were working properly “

uh. i dunno… ‘tater salad at 50 degrees for that long? That actually kinda makes me cringe a little.

I don’t know, 9 degrees doesn’t seem like that big of a deal within a 24 hour period. It sounds like the refrigeration was working properly, it just hadn’t cooled that extra 9 degrees yet from when they put it in.

lifeliberty
    Participant

I’d order a pizza from them right now if they were open, health violations and all.

That place is fantastic.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Family is great too, known members of the clan for 20 years now. Good people, consistently good pizza…and where else can you get a delivery guy to show up at your house with: a filet of haddock, pickled tongue sammich, carrot cake, and a six pack of beer!

GCrites80s
    Participant

I wish people would get sick off potato salad more often.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    I don’t know, 9 degrees doesn’t seem like that big of a deal within a 24 hour period. It sounds like the refrigeration was working properly, it just hadn’t cooled that extra 9 degrees yet from when they put it in.

Mayonnaise products make me nervous near room temperature, so I’d just *personally* be really nervous about tater salad at 50 deg over a whole day. Of course, german tater salad might be fine, it’s all vinegary and not mayonnaisey isn’t it? hmm.

unfortunately the FDA says that extra 9 degrees does make a big difference , and baring any other information i’m rather inclined to agree with them with stuff like tater salad or meat. :(
    * http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Refrigeration_%26_Food_Safety/

ed: none of this is going to stop me from eating there. I do eat there every now and then.

Jman4ever
    Participant

saralinds said:
    We ordered pizza (delivery) from them yesterday.

Yeah, but did you get it?

zp945
    Participant

Rockmastermike said:
    Mayonnaise products make me nervous near room temperature, so I’d just *personally* be really nervous about tater salad at 50 deg over a whole day. Of course, german tater salad might be fine, it’s all vinegary and not mayonnaisey isn’t it? hmm.

unfortunately the FDA says that extra 9 degrees does make a big difference , and baring any other information i’m rather inclined to agree with them with stuff like tater salad or meat. :(
    * http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Refrigeration_%26_Food_Safety/

ed: none of this is going to stop me from eating there. I do eat there every now and then.

Commercially prepared mayonnaise, salad dressings and sauces are “very safe” and “have a remarkable food safety record.”1 However, despite a large body of evidence to the contrary, there persists a belief among many American consumers that mayonnaise, in particular, is a major cause of foodborne illness. For more than 60 years, members of the scientific and regulatory communities have conducted research and published articles that document the safety of commercially prepared mayonnaise and salad dressing. Time and time again, the popular condiment has been exonerated by leading authorities on food safety. Yet, the American public refuses to give up the myth about mayonnaise and foodborne illness.

Indeed, commercial mayonnaise and spoonable (mayonnaise-like) salad dressings are carefully formulated with highly acidic ingredients and pasteurized eggs and manufactured under rigorous quality control procedures making these products extremely unlikely sources for bacteria that cause foodborne illness. These commercial products contain pasteurized eggs that are free of Salmonella and other dangerous bacteria. Acidulents, such as vinegar and lemon juice, create a high-acid environment that slows, or prevents, bacterial growth. Salt is also an important ingredient in commercial mayonnaise that contributes to the unfavorable environment for microbial growth.

That said 9 degrees is a big deal, especially for that amount of time, and the other ingredients will spoil even if the mayo is acidic. I hope they get it taken care of and open again quickly.

ETA that first part was not mine, taken from a website on mayo and salad dressing food safety.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

lifeliberty said:
    I’d order a pizza from them right now if they were open, health violations and all.

That place is fantastic.

Yeah, I’m kind of in the same boat at this point. ;) Kind of want some Plank’s for dinner tonight.

melikecheese
    Participant

interesting.

Seems the health inspectors are very picky and I hear not consistent. I know a few Koreans in the restaurant biz and they often have to deal with people who just don’t understand the food. Specifically Kimchee. They don’t seem to understand that it has to stay on the shelf for awhile and always try and force them to throw it out.

The problem is not necessarily the mayonnaise, the “danger zone” for food born pathogens and bacteria to grow on food is between 41 and 140 degrees according to the food code. The shelf life on food that is not within these temperatures is 4 hours and after that it becomes exponentially more dangerous to serve them. The longer they remain in the “danger zone”, the more likely there will be some sort of food borne illness. Even if you stretch the time frame a little bit, or wiggle a degree or two, 50 degrees for 24 hours is pretty scary. I can’t see how in that amount of time a cooler that was working correctly would not have bought that temperature down to safety. That said, things happen, I hope they get it all worked out and back and running in no time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: