Our City Online

Messageboard - Travel

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Places to visit in Ohio

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Travel Places to visit in Ohio

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author

hungrywoolf
    Participant

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am inspired to get out hiking.

I went to the Circleville pumpkin festival last year. It is really crowded and feels like being at the state fair. I’m not sure if I would go again. Amazing how many food festivals Ohio has. This weekend we are going to the paw paw festival in Athens.

Tony Packo’s is on the list. What else is there cool/interesting to do/see in Toledo?

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

hungrywoolf wrote >>

Tony Packo’s is on the list. What else is there cool/interesting to do/see in Toledo?

attending a MudHens game is fun, but the season is over now…

Mercurius
    Participant

I agree with much of the sentiment above and will try not to repeat anything.

South Bass Island- while Put in Bay is fun for drink, I personally prefer Stone Lab, the Ford Family Mansion, sailing and perch fishing. Of course you would have to go to the Perry Monument to learn about how Oliver Hazard Perry kicked the hiney of those British ;)

Glass House Works- A Greenhouse that has just about taken over the town of Stewart, Ohio that specializes in the exotic. Unfortnately, Big Chimney Baking Company isn’t there anymore as he took the executive chef job at Ohio University.

Lake Katharine Nature Preserve- In the spring, you descend down a hill covered with a canopy of Big Leaf and Umbrella Magnolias and a floor of wildflowers until you get to a secluded lake. The outlet of the lake is a cascading waterfall that empties into a sandstone canyon; similar to the Hocking Hills. At the end of the canyon is a flooded Sweet Gum Ball Forest; really magical.

Malabar Farm would be something I think you, Hungrywolf, would especially dig. I’ve heard great things about the Malabar Farms Restaurant at the Malabar Farm Inn.[/url]

I really dig Staurt’s Opera House and the The Fur Peace Ranch[/url]. While your there, downtown Nelsonville is a square chocked full of great galleries. Might as well go ahead and check it all out during the Nelsonville Folk Festival.

The strangest place in our great state has to be New Straitsville and in particular, The Moonshine Festival. Never have I seen something so bizarre. Confederate Flags, Little Miss Moonshine, Burning Mines… need I say more.

Scuba Diving- …what! but no really. Two things worth seeking out, Gilboa Quarry[/url] has trout, paddlefish, a big Gulf Stream Twin Turbo Prop Airplane, Sikorsky helicopter and one of the greatest zip lines in the state.

Lake Erie, because of the zebra mussels, now has some great diving too! Many ship wrecks and this! Those salt mines look pretty cool too.

Not sure if you’ve made it to The Columbus Zoo yet but if you like cages, it has some of the best. If you don’t, there is The Wilds. Over at The Wilds, it’s worth checking out the old Earth Mover. I believe there are some coal mines that you can enter in that direction too.

Mercurius
    Participant

Oberlin and Yellow Springs are fun places if you like the left leaning crowd and small beautiful towns. Yellow Springs has The Winds and a great bike trail and Oberlin has great architecture and probably my future wife ;)

patient_zero
    Participant

If you are heading to Cleveland, I’d recommend a diversion to Olmsted Falls – 12 minutes or so West from the I-71 Bagley Road exit.

In the heart of town is a quaint area that’s been reutilized and called Grand Pacific Junction with restaurants and shops. Quince has really good American fare, and Clemintines is a favored spot for the ladies offering tea and scones. There are also handycraft shops, an ice cream shop and a wine shop down the road.
    http://grandpacificjunction.com/index.shtml

If you head a little further into town, you’ll see a covered bridge that sits next to the local Fortier Park, and a reminder of how the city got it’s name.

Also worth visiting is the East River Park, offering a great aerial view of Rocky River. http://www.olmstedfalls.org/2008/parks.php
    Old Turkey Foot Cemetery is readily close if you like delving into town history.

Rocknrolloutlaws
    Participant

If you’re interested in airplanes at all, and really, even if you’re not, the Air Force Museum in Dayton is really interesting. Also, it’s free.

rprpclark
    Participant

Marietta is an old river town and former state capitol. It has the Lafayette Hotel and a couple of museums. Go via rt60 out of Zanesville. Stop at the operating manual navigation locks on the Muskingum river. The Blue Bell is an outstanding diner in McConnelsville, on the square. Zanesville has the Alan Cottril gallery. He builds life size and larger bronze sculptures, and always has some on the street in front! Its on S 6th street. Easy to find and he’s often there working.

Mercurius
    Participant

rprpclark wrote >>
    Marietta is an old river town and former state capitol. It has the Lafayette Hotel and a couple of museums. Go via rt60 out of Zanesville. Stop at the operating manual navigation locks on the Muskingum river. The Blue Bell is an outstanding diner in McConnelsville, on the square. Zanesville has the Alan Cottril gallery. He builds life size and larger bronze sculptures, and always has some on the street in front! Its on S 6th street. Easy to find and he’s often there working.

In 1860, Ohio led the nation in the production of wine. Marietta was the largest producing area.

hungrywoolf
    Participant

We went to visit Westcott house[/url] in Springfield last weekend. Made a very nice day trip with brunch at The Winds in Yellow Springs. It is a Frank Lloyd Wright Prairie style house from 1907(ish) one of his earlier ones and has recently undergone a $5.8 mn restoration. As an added bonus there is also a taco truck in Springfield!
    Some photos[/url] of Westcott house

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

hungrywoolf wrote >>
    We went to visit Westcott house[/url] in Springfield last weekend. Made a very nice day trip with brunch at The Winds in Yellow Springs. It is a Frank Lloyd Wright Prairie style house from 1907(ish) one of his earlier ones and has recently undergone a $5.8 mn restoration. As an added bonus there is also a taco truck in Springfield!
    Some photos[/url] of Westcott house

Wow, that house looks *very* Japanese!

tourist19
    Participant

I have to put in a good word for Akron as a destination. Stan Hewitt Hall[/url] is really lovely. It’s the mansion built by the founder of Goodyear and is really worth a visit. I especially recommend it in the spring/summer when you can truly appreciate the amazing gardens. Once you’re here I highly recommend a visit to Luigi’s, the best pizza certainly in Akron and I think in the state. They are seriously old school, no reservations, no credit cards. Possibly the only restaurant to still take personal checks!
    The Akron Art Museum[/url] was recently renovated, and I’ve heard great things about it, although not been able to visit it myself.

I also have to second the recommendation for the Cleveland University Circle area. Just between the Art Museum[/url], Museum of Natural History and the Botanical Gardens[/url] there’s enough to keep anyone interested :-)
    Also in Cleveland is the West Side Market, which as much as I adore the North Market, puts it to shame (I know they’re totally different kinds of places). I still remember being so grossed out by my grandma buying headcheese and liver. The pirogies are the best of anywhere (I especially recommend the apricot ones).

I’m sure I’ll think of more places as soon I hit “Post”, but you’ve got some other great suggestions already :-) It’s weird, the more I go other places, the more I realize how great Ohio is.

Jimmy Mak
    Jimmy Mak
    Participant

There are a lot of great suggestions here as well:

Great Day Trips?

Why isn’t anyone mentioning Steubenville??? ;)

abcdef1

you should visit

http://www.columbusohiosucks.com

it’s an awesome website that tells the truth!!!

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

abcdef1 wrote >>
    you should visit
    http://www.columbusohiosucks.com
    it’s an awesome website that tells the truth!!!

If I wanted to visit the Spam Factory, I’d go to Austin, Minnesota.

Raputa

Nelson Ledges ~ Garrettsville, Portage County, Ohio

I love going to Nelson Ledges for the hiking and the amazing rock mazes. This is one of my favorite places in Ohio!

“The spectacular rock formations at Nelson-Kennedy Ledges have become trademarks of the park. These rock formations are among the few outcrops in northern Ohio still exposed to view. Most of the outcrops elsewhere have been covered with soil and rock left by receding glaciers.”

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)

The forum ‘Travel’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE