Our City Online

Messageboard - Travel

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Places to visit in Ohio

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Travel Places to visit in Ohio

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author

hungrywoolf
    Participant

As a relative newcomer I have been making an effort to see more of Ohio. The first couple of years I was here I was mostly focused on work and exploring Columbus but recently I have been trying to venture further afield. So far I have been to:

Cincinnati, Cleveland, Yellow Springs, Hocking Hills, Athens, Granville & Longaberger. Dawes Arboretum is next on the list to visit.

I know that there are a lot of people on CU who hail from other parts of the state, so I thought this would be a good place to ask for ideas.

I’m looking for suggestions for day trips (or weekend trips) in Ohio and places that are worth exploring. Food destinations are (not surprisingly) of particular interest.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

chaptal
    Participant

alexs wrote >>
    buy this atlas
    http://www.amazon.com/Ohio-Atlas-Gazetteer-Delorme/dp/0899332811#reader

+1

There’s one of these in my car right now. Great for exploring off the highways.

laChewla
    Participant

+1 on the atlas. I have had two myself.

Cedar Point is perhaps one of Ohio’s biggest international draw. Its world famous for both its longevity and history as being continually in operation since the time of the Civil War and it largest collection of roller coasters at 16 (I think)

Cleveland Museum of Art and the whole Case Western Reserve U area is a good day trip.

The Ohio River towns are interesting with their linear chain like development. Many are very old, not much changed since the decline of the steel industry and other industries in those towns. Plus there are lots of Coal power plants too with very tall chimmenies [sic]. You could make a fun 3 day trip out of visiting every town along the river. East Liverpool to North Bend or vise versa.

I have never been to Cuyahoga Valley National Park, but it looks like a great place to visit, and the state’s only and nations most recently designated NP.

Rising Park in Lancaster is a nice city park with a huge high rock outcrop that you can see the whole town and even the Columbus skyline on a clear day. Makes for a nice bike trip.

Whatever you do, never visit Pataskala.
    Zach

michaelcoyote
    Participant

+1 on the Atlas. I have one and it’s just about fallen apart..

also +1 on Cedar Point.. Love it and hope I get a chance to visit this year.. Add to that Kelly’s Island, some Winery Tours (Firelands!) and you have a wonderful late/indian summer long weekend…

Cleveland is a good option and has been well covered elsewhere.

Mohican State Park and it’s nearby rivers up near Mansfield, provided me with plenty of hiking, canoeing and other recreation during high school and beyond, and when I was in college, I spent a lot of time biking the trails at Blackhand Gorge over near Zanesville..

I’m sure Manatee has some excellent suggestions..

L.I. to Buckeye
    Participant

I’m kinda, sorta, a little bit of a newcomer here, too (I’m going to cling to that as long as I can!!), but I’ve heard that Lebannon, OH, is charming and has a relatively well-known and historic restaurant (The Golden Lamb or something like that).

The Circleville Pumpkin Festival is on my list this year, too.

Columbusite

I want to check out the mining towns in Appalachian Ohio. Pomeroy, Jackson, and the ghost town of Shawnee look promising. Serpent Mound is also of interest and there’s nearby Great Seal State Park with the toughest trail in the state.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

L.I. to Buckeye wrote >>
    The Circleville Pumpkin Festival is on my list this year, too.

I’ll +1 that. Lots of fun, and a very short trip from Columbus.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

Must sees: Serpent Mound, the Great circle and Octogon sites in Newark…don’t worry about the golfers at the Octogaon site, just walk it at leisure, act like you belong there, but do pay attention for the golf balls whizzing by. Miamisburg Mound outside Dayton is also cool.

Clifton Gorge in Clifton, close to Yellow Springs, great hikes, geology and wildflowers…

Lake Erie: ie Sandusky, Catawba areas after labor day, or before memorial day…otherwise it is a zoo…

Dillion State Park, east of town, great hikes

Amish countrty, Holmes County

Hocking Hills, Highland’s Nature Sanctuary

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Put in Bay is a good time, and now most of the crowds will have gone. Something cool about a place you have to take a boat to get to in my book.

Circle S Farms fall days is a good time also and gets you in the mood for the season. Very close to columbus.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

If you bike, there are many regional trails, especially to the south and west, Xenia-ish.

Ohio festivals:

http://www.ofea.org/events.php

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Columbusite wrote >>
    I want to check out the mining towns in Appalachian Ohio. Pomeroy, Jackson, and the ghost town of Shawnee look promising. Serpent Mound is also of interest and there’s nearby Great Seal State Park with the toughest trail in the state.

wow.. that ghost town looks awesome. Anyone ever been?

joev
    Participant

You’ve got to do the Grand River Valley wine region, and late Sept/early Oct. is the perfect time to do it. You could stay at Geneva State Park Lodge, right on Lake Erie, or if you’re a B&B person, the Polly Harper Inn is right in the middle of the vineyard area. A new brewery just opened in the village of Madison, and it’s really good! Cornerstone Brewery.

Kelleys Island is also beautiful. Great for kayaking.

If you’ve been to Yellow Springs but missed Clifton Mill, nearby – go back for the pancakes. They’re like layer cakes – great in the fall time before a hike at the Clifton Gorge State Nature Preserve, John Bryan State Park or Glen Helen.

Toledo might also surprise you as a food town. Tony Packo’s is an experience everyone should have at least once.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

the cabins at this place look bad ass http://www.murphinridgeinn.com/

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Columbusite wrote >>
    … and there’s nearby Great Seal State Park with the toughest trail in the state.

I hiked this trail once. Never again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

The forum ‘Travel’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE