Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Joseph - Pizzuti Short North Hotel - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Joseph – Pizzuti Short North Hotel – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 551 total)
  • Author

Likes Old Houses
    Participant

A few points from the 8/19 meeting.
    – No architectural drawings were presented, those were being saved for the 8/26 architectural review meeting (I nearly got up and left at this point).
    -The designs have been reworked based on commission comments.
    -The buildings will no longer mirror each other across the street and will no longer look like a “gateway”
    -The developer is proposing reversing the one-way direction of Russell to run west bound. This is where the garage entrance will be. The idea is to force outbound traffic to Park/Goodale/670/downtown.
    -Millay Alley will be completely rebuild, keeping the historic bricks, and adding sidewalks.
    -The parking garage will house approx 313 cars. 100 for the hotel, 125-150 during the day for offices.
    -They will contract with valet companies to use the garage (they consider valet use as “public parking”).
    -There still wasn’t clear explanation on how many “net” spaces the SN would gain.
    -The hotel will be approx 135 rooms.
    -The art gallery will be a private space only open at special times, though they do want to work with the art community to bring in shows, etc.
    -There will be both event space in the UTC building and the hotel (5000 sq ft).
    -The new plans include the storefront running down Millay Alley as initially proposed.
    -A little triangle of land left over from the 670 construction east of Pearl, will function as a surface lot for the hotel (overflow parking, deliveries, etc) and may have a one story deck added at a later time.

That is about all I can remember.

wassan

^Pretty good summary, I think that’s mostly what was covered. I was surprised that people seemed more concerned with the parking spaces than they were about the construction that would be in the area for almost 2 years. I assume during that time there won’t be either lot available, that will certainly hurt some of the small business along High.

Misplaced
    Participant

Was there any discussion of making the art space open to the public? After demolishing part of an historic building, it would be great to have it open at least part of the time. Heck, I bet people might even pay a couple of bucks to check it out. That’s such a unique attribute of the project.

jenlauren

I think the net parking will be higher than it is now but probably isn’t going to meet the expectations of the community for a new garage.

5,000 sq feet of event space is pretty significant. Assuming the actual ballroom would end up around 3500 sq ft that is well over 200 people for a banquet event, more for a cocktail reception. It would be quite a few extra cars but hopefully also good for local businesses.

HeySquare
    Participant

JMan wrote >>
    That this project is meeting such resistance is very disheartening, but I’m hardly surprised. At the base of this attitude is a very old Midwestern country town “We’re just not getting our money’s worth.” It’s one of the things that has held this city back time and again hasn’t resulted in better development AT ALL. No wonder all the young, ambitious, talented people leave.

I’m at a loss at to why you consider the process of design review to be “resistance”? This is a MAJOR project, that will big impact on one of the premier neighborhoods in the city… a neighborhood, moreover, that has pulled itself up by its own bootstraps through the hard work and financial investment of many residents and developers. The solicitation of public input is not “resistance”… it is smart development.

yeah, that’s why all the young talented people leave… to avoid development restrictions… by moving to New York LOLZ.

colrex7

It sounds like Pizutti really cares about the neighborhood and the residents input, because they keep going back to the drawing board to try and please both parties. This is what makes a good development in the long run.
    It will be fun to watch this rise above High Street.

columbusguy20
    columbusguy20
    Participant

Likes Old Houses wrote >>

Misplaced wrote >>

cmhcow wrote >>

JonMyers wrote >>

econJoe wrote >>
    Our historical architectural review process in both Victorian and Italian villages is what has made the Short North the beautiful area that it is today.

Yeah I’d agree:

How many of you kids remember when the building in the top picture was a KFC?
    By the way, the reason the commission exists, in part, it because of nasty buildings like that. But the commissions are staffed by human beings (once upon a time, even me), who don’t always make the best decisions (approving Cocoa Manor). The big problem with Joel’s dad’s company is the partial demolition of the UCT building.

It’s just a nod to 70s redevelopment in downtown Columbus…you MUST demolish something historic in order to gain more parking! Clear as mud to me.

I’ve always wondered how we ended up with the Cocoa Manor and what it replaced. It looks like is should be overlooking the 18th green, not our most historic city park.

Too funny! I’ve wondered about that house as well. It really says ‘Muirfield Village’ rather than ‘Goodale Park and the Short North’ you might say. Any idea of what was there before? I wonder if one reason the commission approved it is the fact that the owner is heir to the Anthony Thomas Candy fortune???

dru
    Participant

^^From the archives of Educable Channel 25 (well actually the Friends of Goodale Park), here is a series of videos on the history of Goodale Park complete with a lot of interesting photos of the early surrounding buildings. There are a lot of photos of the former Parkview Sanitarium & White Cross hospital buildings that lined Park where the Victorian Gate is, but you never really get a good look at the N/W corner of Buttles and Park where Cocoa Manor is now located.

Dick and Terry are a little dry, but there’s some interesting stuff here.
    http://friendsofgoodalepark.org/history.asp?doc=HistoryPart8.html

Of interest in video #2 is the former Dennison Mansion on Park Street, a historically significant building that was razed in the 1920s to make room for the current UCT building.

Likes Old Houses
    Participant

Is anyone going to the Italian Village/Victorian Village review meeting tonight where Pizzuti is suppose to bring their new design?

cyclist II
    Participant

Is anyone going to the Italian Village/Victorian Village review meeting tonight where Pizzuti is suppose to bring their new design?

When and where?

Likes Old Houses
    Participant

cyclist II wrote >>

When and where?

I am not exactly sure. The meeting isn’t listed on the City website, but they mentioned it at the meeting last week. I believe they said it was at the 109 N Front St building, but I am unsure on the time. Long story short, I can’t make it and was curious if anyone else would, who could pass along the details.

jjsmith24
    Participant

The joint commission meeting is tonight at 6pm at 109 S Front St.
    You can see the latest renderings here – rendering link

Mercurius
    Participant

jjsmith24 wrote >>

While I don’t believe those are the latest renderings, they are sexy already. I thought it interesting to note, The United Commercial Travelers building that is causing the bru ha ha, actually has been torn down and rebuilt three times through history – and in my humble opinion, the first two conceptions were better than this. It’s one thing to want the best that’s possible, it’s another thing to be cantankerous towards anything modern.

colrex7

jjsmith24 wrote >>

Hmm…the link doesn’t work for me. It looks as though the file might be too large to load or something.

futureman
    Participant

Mercurius wrote >>

jjsmith24 wrote >>

While I don’t believe those are the latest renderings, they are sexy already. I thought it interesting to note, The United Commercial Travelers building that is causing the bru ha ha, actually has been torn down and rebuilt three times through history – and in my humble opinion, the first two conceptions were better than this. It’s one thing to want the best that’s possible, it’s another thing to be cantankerous towards anything modern.

These renderings are dated 8/18/2010, so they might be the most recent as new renderings were not released on the 8/19/2010 meeting.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 551 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!