Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Joseph - Pizzuti Short North Hotel - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Joseph – Pizzuti Short North Hotel – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 551 total)
  • Author

rory
    Participant

econJoe wrote >>
    And if Pizzuti does not want to follow the rules of the commission, it can easily fill in the space at the NE corner of 5th and High. But, no, it wants to be there in the best part of the Short North. Why!? Because it’s extremely valuable land. Don’t settle for the first seemingly nice thing that comes along.

Dude, stay on your side of the street when you’re tossing around parking garages. That lot is one of the future Weinland Park gateways.

Roland
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>
    Has anyone here ever been in the United CommercialTravelers building?

I can’t figure out how to get inside. What is the building used for anyways? I always though it was some secret spy headquarters with all those iron bars around the property.

JonMyers
    Participant

Roland, me either. The building is a dead zone and as someone who has walked by it a few times a day, it lends nothing architecturally to the area at all.

Tigertree

@jonmyers, but it’s oooooold

dru
    Participant

Roland wrote >>

JonMyers wrote >>
    Has anyone here ever been in the United CommercialTravelers building?

I can’t figure out how to get inside. What is the building used for anyways? I always though it was some secret spy headquarters with all those iron bars around the property.

UCT[/url] is “a nonprofit fraternal benefit society offering members insurance products and other benefits.”

They moved out of the building over a year ago to Watermark (island in between 670 and Dublin Road) and have the contract to sell it to Pizzuti. So it’s currently empty office space and apparently one majestic ballroom that I am now convinced I need to see.

*edit: Walker please use your powers for an Architectural Review Meetup

dru
    Participant

Tigertree wrote >>
    @jonmyers, but it’s oooooolde

-e for emphasis

HeySquare
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

HeySquare wrote >>
    I cannot believe that this group… the one that dissed the new Ohio Union so much… thinks *this* POS looks “modern”?!? Really?

I seem to recall two threads about the Ohio Union, both with some back and forth on the design elements. There was no general consensus from “THIS GROUP”.

I’ll make sure to call out folks by name then ;) There was a general consensus among jpizzow, columbusite, colrex7… and I’m going to throw JonMyers in too, even though he didn’t specifically comment in those two threads. (He and I have had enough disagreements over modern v. historic that I’m throwing him into the mix.)

Do you all really think those posted designs for the new Pizzuti are award-winning modern design? Dru cited the example of the Chambers in Minneapolis. I haven’t stayed at the Chambers there, but I have stayed at the one in New York. They are fabulous. But from what I can tell… for the Minneapolis site, they adaptively reused two five story older buildings, did discreet but thoroughly modern additions– not unlike the addition to the Brunson Building downtown, it seems– that kept the height and scale of the existing with a modern interpretation, and viola… really nice design.

http://www.mattsonmacdonald.com/documents/Chambers-CaseStudy.pdf

It just goes to prove it can be done, and done well, without having to resort to boring boxes.

rory
    Participant

I’m in a quandary. I really like both buildings. The UCT building is nice by the park but the other one would be nice overlooking the park. The screening could use a little work but these commission things are always a little give and take. And it’s not like it’s a no-name architect either. The contrast could really accent to the historic nature of the neighborhood with a happening twist.

A win-win would be putting it at 5th and High. Weinland Park gets the modern building and VV can have the old one since the WP already has more National Register buildings (99 by my count) than we can shake a stick at.

I’m a believer now and my neighborhood doesn’t have a boutique hotel :(

Pick our neighborhood Mr. Pizzuti :)

dru
    Participant

rory wrote >>
    I’m in a quandary. I really like both buildings. The UCT building is nice by the park but the other one would be nice overlooking the park.

If you look at the renderings, they are keeping the front 1/2 of the UCT building that faces Park Street. The garage and office/retail would eliminate the back 1/2 of the UCT block which does nothing to inspire and the empty lots.
    View from Park:

Overhead view (the purple shaded part is the retained portion of the UCT block)

So for you, it’s a win/win.

JonMyers
    Participant

HeySquare, true I was meh, neutral on the design:

Pizzuti Short North Hotel Plans Presented Tonight

I still am, meh.

The thing is, I don’t think anyone will ever be able to present an award winning design for any new building in the Short North on High Street as long as the Victorian Village and Italian Village commissions exist.

Like I said, I think architectural review is a must. I’m cool with it. I would think most people want some standards and review process. That said, both the Victorian Village and Italian Village commissions operate in a self-serving, subjective manner and are an embarrassment and impediment to urban progress in Columbus. Standards, rules, master plan my ass.

The proposed design for the hotel is exactly what I would expect from a development team who actually wants to see the project break ground some time in the next five years.

I could live with the design, if it actually gets built. The hotel will house pieces of art from one of the largest art collections in the world.

HeySquare
    Participant

Jeez… well.. here is the resume for the architects
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arquitectonica

It would be really nice if their website worked.[EDIT: as per Dru’s post, further on, it does seem to be working; however, it locked up when I tried to view the projects earlier] It’s the same group that designed Miranova, for what its worth.

After really looking at the designs, I’m tempering my opinion a bit… but I still think the Russell and Milay Alley elevations are a disaster. And there isn’t anything at the pedestrian/lower levels to keep the scale in check. The buildings feel HUGE. It just feels like they are trying to stuff ten pounds of… flour… into a five pound sack. This would work so much better on the Ibiza site.

And I can see why you all find the Travelers building uninspiring… not enough glowing glass and neon, I suspect ;)

JonMyers
    Participant

HeySquare, I’m curious. So are you saying the architects Arquitectonica have done more innovative designs?

rory
    Participant

I like the Travelers building. [It would be cool if the Pizzuti addition “glowed” :) ] The limestone front part is beautiful, has great proportions and is incredibly pleasant from the street. I’m a little stumped about the fuss in tearing off the brick addition that looks like it’s been been cobbled on. And somebody made some grossly inappropriate window choices along the way on the addition. I think with the trees that the front can hold its own with the new part. If was barren out front that might be an issue. Unless there is some awe-inspiring National Register worthy interior hiding inside?

rory
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>
    HeySquare, I’m curious. So are you saying the architects Arquitectonica have done more innovative designs?

Sorry to butt in Jon, but yes, they could juice it up a little.

JonMyers
    Participant

Rory, I don’t disagree, but why do you think the design is so restrained?

I think it has everything to do with trying to please the commissions, and has less to do with the developer and architect.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 551 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: