Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Joseph - Pizzuti Short North Hotel - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Joseph – Pizzuti Short North Hotel – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 551 total)
  • Author

dru
    Participant

econJoe wrote >>

Mercurius wrote >>

econJoe wrote >>

dru wrote >>
    excellent, we need more ballrooms for our Cotillions.

Are you saying that you don’t know anyone who wouldn’t want to have meetings, weddings, and other events in a beautiful, historic ballroom that overlooks Goodale Park? Okay.

Yeah, I’m sure a hotel would be terrible for that?

It’s a boutique hotel? I don’t know how to respond to this other than to say that.

so you’re saying that a hotel of this size cannot hold events?

Chambers Hotel, Minneapolis

econJoe
    Participant

dru wrote >>

econJoe wrote >>

dru wrote >>

Are you saying that you don’t know anyone who wouldn’t want to have meetings, weddings, and other events in a beautiful, historic ballroom that overlooks Goodale Park? Okay.

are you telling me you know of someone who is ready to step in and buy that building, run a rental business and be able to turn a profit?
    are you also telling me that you don’t know of people who would love to stay in an upscale hotel with parking in the heart of the Short North with views of Goodale Park and within walking distance of the Convention Center. Okie-dokie.

I’m sure lots of people would, but those same people don’t care about the historical integrity of the neighborhood that has made it such a prime place for a boutique hotel with great views of…a neighborhood with its historical look intact.

econJoe
    Participant

dru wrote >>

econJoe wrote >>

Mercurius wrote >>

econJoe wrote >>

dru wrote >>

Yeah, I’m sure a hotel would be terrible for that?

It’s a boutique hotel? I don’t know how to respond to this other than to say that.

so you’re saying that a hotel of this size cannot hold events?
    Chambers Hotel, Minneapolis

That’s exactly what I’m saying. The plans don’t include meeting space. A hotel with the capacity to hold large-scale events would have to be at least the size of the Blackwell Inn at OSU but more like the size of the Hyatt or a Hilton.

JonMyers
    Participant

econJoe wrote >>
    And if Pizzuti does not want to follow the rules of the commission, it can easily fill in the space at the NE corner of 5th and High. But, no, it wants to be there in the best part of the Short North. Why!? Because it’s extremely valuable land. Don’t settle for the first seemingly nice thing that comes along.

Sorta like filling in this space:

econJoe
    Participant

I have to go eat. I’d love to continue to talk about this. I am not saying that the Pizzuti project has no pluses to it. It’s just that I hope that everyone here will remember that the commissions are trying to maintain the integrity of the neighborhood with the guidelines set forth years back that have made this area of Columbus so successful. I hope that everyone will be critically thoughtful of any development proposal of such scale.

Take care.

econJoe
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>

econJoe wrote >>
    And if Pizzuti does not want to follow the rules of the commission, it can easily fill in the space at the NE corner of 5th and High. But, no, it wants to be there in the best part of the Short North. Why!? Because it’s extremely valuable land. Don’t settle for the first seemingly nice thing that comes along.

Sorta like filling in this space:

Ibiza’s story is mostly a matter of financing after the 2009 financial crisis. You make a point though. Right now, during a slow recovery after a long, calamitous financial crisis, development proposals with the credit to back them will be few.

somertimeoh
    Participant

futureman wrote >>

Tigertree wrote >>
    @econ, yeah there are plenty of things I would rather look at than a parking garage, but the truth is we need one.

Also, at 278 spots this isn’t going to help too much with parking. Roughly 80 surface spots will be taken out, so we’re looking at gain of less than 200. I imagine the hotel would take up a considerable amount of these spots as well for guests.
    I’m not saying I wish for a larger garage, but I doubt this specific garage will major impact on the parking “problem” in the area.

Really? I see that as A LOT of cars. How many meter spots are along High in the Short North? How many when you add in the lot by White Castle and Mac’s?

Imagine 200 less cars in the neighborhood for Comfest. That would be amazing!

futureman
    Participant

Comfest expected attendance was 80,000 this year. Sure additional 200 spots (probably down to maybe 100-150 with hotel guests) would help but not much.

Tigertree

I don’t know how to come up with a realistic figure for the economic impact of the garage spaces on the neighborhood economy, but lets say super conservatively it’s $5,000 per space in dollars that would otherwise not be spent here. That is a pretty huge figure, even spread across the businesses in the neighborhood and the real figure would likely be much higher.
    Does anyone have access to how many metered spaces we currently have in the neighborhood to know what percentage of difference those 200 spaces would make?
    If the Short North doesn’t get realistic about parking before Grandview Yard opens, it’s in trouble.

colrex7

econJoe wrote >>

This is a good point.
    Is Puzzuti going to present more plans to the commissions again? Or is it over with?

Andrew Hall

econJoe wrote I hope that everyone here will remember that the commissions are trying to maintain the integrity of the neighborhood with the guidelines set forth years back that have made this area of Columbus so successful.

I hate this fallacy. Hate. Hate it.

It fails to account for how successful the area could be without the precense of such commissions. While it is problematic to assess a negative proposition, I can’t help but feel that saying “so successful” is like celebrating that your Ferrari hit 60mph.

A.

futureman
    Participant

Before we get carried away, I should clarify the 80 existing spots I came up with. It’s a rather inaccurate estimate looking only at google maps for the public lot next to Bernards and the private(?) lot next to Marcellas/Burgundy room (those cars would have to come somewhere right?).

Also, I get a feeling that some of the spots would be used by the valets in the area.

somertimeoh
    Participant

futureman wrote >>
    Comfest expected attendance was 80,000 this year. Sure additional 200 spots (probably down to maybe 100-150 with hotel guests) would help but not much.

It’s selfish, I’m the last to fill up for Comfest. That would buy my neighbors more time and not feel so trapped. I pulled my car out for 20 minutes to go to the liquor store and were it not for some pure luck would have been blocks away from my house (maybe? who knows really and I even have reserved parking!). But on a regular Fri/Sat night it would absolutely take some pressure of the neighborhood streets.

I think most people who would pay the extra money to stay in a place like this are looking for the walkability and I would think wouldn’t have a car to park.

dru
    Participant

Tigertree wrote >>
    I don’t know how to come up with a realistic figure for the economic impact of the garage spaces on the neighborhood economy, but lets say super conservatively it’s $5,000 per space in dollars that would otherwise not be spent here. That is a pretty huge figure, even spread across the businesses in the neighborhood and the real figure would likely be much higher.
    Does anyone have access to how many metered spaces we currently have in the neighborhood to know what percentage of difference those 200 spaces would make?
    If the Short North doesn’t get realistic about parking before Grandview Yard opens, it’s in trouble.

That also doesn’t count the value of the room occupants. They can stay at the new Hilton, and be directed to Gordon Biersch or Buca de Beppo. Or they could stay at this hotel and dine at Rigsby’s or Press Grill, drop in Tigertree or Ladybird to buy something, take in a late night drink at Betty’s or Bar 23. The economic addition to this has amazing potential.

somertimeoh
    Participant

futureman wrote >>
    Before we get carried away, I should clarify the 80 existing spots I came up with. It’s a rather inaccurate estimate looking only at google maps for the public lot next to Bernards and the private(?) lot next to Marcellas/Burgundy room (those cars would have to come somewhere right?).
    Also, I get a feeling that some of the spots would be used by the valets in the area.

I don’t go in the lots often and I’m usually not paying attention anyway, but they are really small. The one by Mac’s is maybe 30 cars? Skully’s about the same. Same with White Castle? Even if they are all 50 spots, doesn’t that still double the available parking on High? I also still think you’re over shooting how many spaces will be taken for guests and if those cars would have existed anyway, i.e. they would have stayed else where and driven to the Short North for the evening anyway.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 551 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: