Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Joseph - Pizzuti Short North Hotel - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Joseph – Pizzuti Short North Hotel – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 551 total)
  • Author

Pablo
    Participant

I noticed that too and it’s disappointing. Sidewalks are usually poured with tree openings – I doubt this project will add trees. The same is true for Fireproof and The Hub. The Hub looks especially barren. There are trees on the East Hubbard side but they’re too small for this location and can be easily damaged. These are all within the City’s right-of-way. I wonder if the City has a streetscape project lined up for the near future and told the developers not to plant trees?

wpcc88
    Participant

I wonder if the City has a streetscape project lined up for the near future and told the developers not to plant trees?

I wouldn’t be shocked if something like that was in the works. I’ve noticed recently the sidewalks in the area are getting a little beat up. Have the developers pour a generic cost effective sidewalk to get them through until next spring and come through and redo all of them at once with new streetscape.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I wonder if the City has a streetscape project lined up for the near future and told the developers not to plant trees?

I thought the city was planning to replace trees removed that were infected with the ash borer beetles? Lots of them were cut down in our neighborhood, but nothing as been replanted yet.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

I noticed that too and it’s disappointing. Sidewalks are usually poured with tree openings – I doubt this project will add trees. The same is true for Fireproof and The Hub. The Hub looks especially barren. There are trees on the East Hubbard side but they’re too small for this location and can be easily damaged. These are all within the City’s right-of-way. I wonder if the City has a streetscape project lined up for the near future and told the developers not to plant trees?

Don’t quote me but I’m pretty sure there is some kind of streetscape plan in the works. I know the Fireproof developers mentioned that they are doing a plain sidewalk now because of the planned streetscape re-do in the future.

EDIT:
    From here: http://www.shortnorth.org/sites/default/files/2013_short_north_alliance_annual_report.pdf

“Streetscape Improvement Study
    • The City of Columbus, MKSK, and Korda shared results of the preliminary engineering study
    for streetscape improvements along High Street. The improvements would transform High
    Street, create more dynamic places for shopping, dining, and celebrating public art. The City and
    the Alliance are in conversations about next steps. “

Pablo
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pablo wrote:</div>

I thought the city was planning to replace trees removed that were infected with the ash borer beetles? Lots of them were cut down in our neighborhood, but nothing as been replanted yet.

Most street trees on High are honeylocusts, not ash.

Pablo
    Participant
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Most street trees on High are honeylocusts, not ash.

Oh… no, I was just wondering if the City of Columbus was still doing tree plantings at all these days based on the lack of replanting in our neighborhood. It’s been over a year now I believe.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I have also heard from a pretty reliable source that High Street through the Short North is planning for a revamp, which should include street trees in these locations.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

It’s a multiyear plan, possibly we’re still in the middle of the removal phase
    From the Dispatch last year – http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2013/05/05/tree-slayer.html
    Columbus is spending $10 million in a multiyear effort to remove most of an estimated 30,000 ash trees and replace them with a different tree species, choosing among as many as 50. Many of the ashes line streets in public rights of way.

Joe Sulak, the city forester, said $1.5 million will be spent this year on removing trees. The money funds two full-time city crews that do nothing but cut down and chip ash trees, and also four private companies hired to do the same thing.

joev
    Participant

FYI, Walker, any homeowner can ask the city forester for a permit to plant their own tree in their treelawn. Species and size restrictions apply. This is a really easy and positive experience.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

FYI, Walker, any homeowner can ask the city forester for a permit to plant their own tree in their treelawn. Species and size restrictions apply. This is a really easy and positive experience.

Oh, these aren’t on our property, so we’d have to get others to do it. Most of the ones that were removed are on a neighboring apartment building property (but they nicely shaded the sidewalk and bus stop area) and in Mayme Moore Park by the KAC.

goldenidea
    Participant

Curious if others have thoughts about this…

I think both of these new Pizzuti buildings look great. I haven’t visited Anthropologie yet, but from just driving & walking by their storefront it also looks great. The façade of Le Meridian also looks great. No complaints about any of this. Clearly, there’s been a lot of good work done to create these. Also, there’s still work to complete and sightlines to adsorb, so there’s more to consider and much to experience yet in the future as work is completed and the buildings become active.

The one thing I wonder about and kind of wish were different are the heights of each building. I think both buildings are also very attractive from a distance, so attractive I wish there was more of each. Looking at the office building from areas around the intersection Goodale and Park, it feels like a taller building would be more impressive and grand. Looking at the hotel building driving from east toward High St. westbound on 670, at first I thought I was looking at the back of a condo building until I realized it’s the hotel. I wonder how nice these buildings would have been if they were perhaps even twice as high. I realize buildings of that scale would have created other challenges and possible detriments (esp, parking needs, buildings out of scale with historic ones, streetscape impacts, etc.), but cityscape-wise given that they are located pretty close to Nationwide’s towers, taller building could have worked here and would have put the Short North on the city’s skyline.

I recall reading Michael Schiff’s interview here on CU where he made the point that taller buildings should be considered and that we have a very limited number of sites and opportunities to build them along High Street in the SN. Looking at these buildings, while I very much like the results, I agree with his viewpoint.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Couple of updated photos from a few angles:

More photos: https://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-october-2014-part-1

News
    Participant

New 313-Space Parking Garage Opens in The Short North
    November 6, 2014 4:01 pm – Walker Evans

The Short North lost two prominent surface parking lots last fall with the start of construction at The Joseph development. Tomorrow some of the parking returns to the neighborhood with the opening of the 313-space parking garage on Russell Street. The new garage will be available for public use starting at 5pm, and will operate 24/7 with automated pay stations.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/new-313-space-parking-garage-opens-in-the-short-north

Pablo
    Participant

Looks like you can book a room for March 7 (gallery hop) for $379 + tax or wait a week and get a room for $189 + tax.

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 551 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: