Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Joseph - Pizzuti Short North Hotel - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Joseph – Pizzuti Short North Hotel – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 551 total)
  • Author

dru
    Participant

econJoe wrote >>

JonMyers wrote >>

colrex7 wrote >>
    This is just my perspective…but in my urban design classes they teach us that historical architecture is in fact preserved more when located next to a new building that is more modern, rather than made to fit in. A lot of times, new buildings that try to fit in by mocking historical buildings in fact take away from the existing historical structures.
    So in my personal opinion the Short North would benefit from having some structures that have a more modern feel to them. And…it’s the Short North…so its okay to be a little out there with design. ;)

I agree and you’re probably right.
    I’m all for historical preservation. I’m not at all for those faux historical facades imposed to “help buildings blend in”, which look fake and tacky as hell. In fact, they probably drive value down rather than improve value.

There is nothing wrong with modern architecture. In the guidelines of the Victorian and Italian village commissions, developers are told to make new architecture look new. It’s not about the modern look of the architecture, it’s that a parking garage would hover over the UCT building and would be perfectly visible in Goodale park; a cheap mesh-covered parking garage would be built where something truly wonderful could be built by a more cooperative developer; half of a perfectly usable historical structure (the UCT building) would be torn down; etc.

a. which dream developer?
    b. you want to preserve the back 1/2 of this building? that’s a gem of architecture. Mind you the UCT building is only 85-years old, and that back part is an extension that in now way mirrors that the front part that this plan preserves.
    <iframe width=”425″ height=”350″ frameborder=”0″ scrolling=”no” marginheight=”0″ marginwidth=”0″ src=”http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=firefox-a&q=Short+North&ie=UTF8&t=h&sll=39.975104,-83.003839&sspn=0.000968,0.002411&split=1&rq=1&ev=p&radius=0.08&hq=Short+North&hnear=&ll=39.975104,-83.003839&spn=0.006295,0.006295&output=embed”></iframe><small&gt;View Larger Map</small>

Tigertree

@econ, yeah there are plenty of things I would rather look at than a parking garage, but the truth is we need one.

JonMyers
    Participant

I suppose the developer can sit around and wait for the commissions to read their tea leaves, which will determine when they’ll bless them with another meeting.

Tigertree

@JonMyers, they way you are talking, it almost sounds like you think there may be other markets where they could invest their dollars?

econJoe
    Participant

The UCT building has perfectly usable office space. The view of it from Park Street is great. It also has a wonderful ballroom on its top floor, which would be destroyed by the halving of it by the development.

@Tigertree, a parking garage in the Short North could be covered by a better looking, albeit more expensive, facade that the commission could approve. Pizzuti wants to go cheap on it though.

Also, this is prime land. We don’t have to settle for the first developer who offers to build something on it. It’s in one of the best spots in the neighborhood and along the Short North High Street area.

dru
    Participant

excellent, we need more ballrooms for our Cotillions.

econJoe
    Participant

And if Pizzuti does not want to follow the rules of the commission, it can easily fill in the space at the NE corner of 5th and High. But, no, it wants to be there in the best part of the Short North. Why!? Because it’s extremely valuable land. Don’t settle for the first seemingly nice thing that comes along.

Mercurius
    Participant

econJoe wrote >>
    albeit more expensive, facade that the commission could approve. Pizzuti wants to go cheap on it though.
    Also, this is prime land. We don’t have to settle for the first developer who offers to build something on it. It’s in one of the best spots in the neighborhood and along the Short North High Street area.

econJoe wrote >>
    Why the animosity toward the commissions?

Megalomania?

econJoe
    Participant

dru wrote >>

Are you saying that you don’t know anyone who wouldn’t want to have meetings, weddings, and other events in a beautiful, historic ballroom that overlooks Goodale Park? Okay.

JonMyers
    Participant

Tigertree wrote >>
    @JonMyers, they way you are talking, it almost sounds like you think there may be other markets where they could invest their dollars?

If I were a developer or said developer, I’d take my money elsewhere.

The sad thing is it’s not just about money. It’s a about a passion for the city of Columbus and doing something that is fueling this project from every single thing I’ve been hearing.

Mercurius
    Participant

econJoe wrote >>

dru wrote >>

Are you saying that you don’t know anyone who wouldn’t want to have meetings, weddings, and other events in a beautiful… that overlooks Goodale Park? Okay.

Yeah, I’m sure a hotel would be terrible for that?

dru
    Participant

econJoe wrote >>

dru wrote >>

Are you saying that you don’t know anyone who wouldn’t want to have meetings, weddings, and other events in a beautiful, historic ballroom that overlooks Goodale Park? Okay.

are you telling me you know of someone who is ready to step in and buy that building, run a rental business and be able to turn a profit?

are you also telling me that you don’t know of people who would love to stay in an upscale hotel with parking in the heart of the Short North with views of Goodale Park and within walking distance of the Convention Center. Okie-dokie.

econJoe
    Participant

Mercurius wrote >>

econJoe wrote >>

dru wrote >>

Yeah, I’m sure a hotel would be terrible for that?

It’s a boutique hotel? I don’t know how to respond to this other than to say that.

futureman
    Participant

Tigertree wrote >>
    @econ, yeah there are plenty of things I would rather look at than a parking garage, but the truth is we need one.

Also, at 278 spots this isn’t going to help too much with parking. Roughly 80 surface spots will be taken out, so we’re looking at gain of less than 200. I imagine the hotel would take up a considerable amount of these spots as well for guests.

I’m not saying I wish for a larger garage, but I doubt this specific garage will have a major impact on the parking “problem” in the area.

ETA: to put the 200 in perspective, the recently completed OSU garage on lane ave has 1400 spots.

anillo
    Participant

I thought we agree in another thread that Columbus desperately needs more boutique hotels =/

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 551 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO