Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Joseph - Pizzuti Short North Hotel - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Joseph – Pizzuti Short North Hotel – News & Updates

• This topic has 550 replies, 105 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by News.
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 551 total)
  • Author

Tigertree

@KingLincoln, I am curious where you are getting your information about how we are doing? The truth is that, nationally most businesses don’t make it more than 2-3 years for a host of reasons; family issues, they don’t really know the market as well as they thought, the time commitment is greater than anticipated, market conditions, they just suck at business or management…
    Trying to gauge the viability of an area based on a perceived turnover rate is ridiculous. On my side of of our block, for instance, almost 75% of the occupants have been in business for over four years, some are closing in on ten.
    Are there things we as a district and business community could do better? Absolutely. Just because you don’t see things happening, does not mean we aren’t working to make things happen. An Ibiza garage would be sweet but as we have already addressed, it isn’t even possible for years.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I’m with all of you who think there is a parking problem in the Short North. As several have already alluded to, the SN thrives in large part to “outside” business and cannot be sustained with its current density of residents, students and existing transportation options.

The SN not only is an “entertainment” district (restaurants, bars, galleries) but it is increasingly becoming more of a retail district. One of the most important things retail needs, if not the most important, is ample parking. I for one believe that if a garage or two were available the boutiques or any store for that matter would increase their business. If people are aware that there is easy, cheap parking in one location then it is more likely that they will make the trip. This is an a aspect that makes a place like Easton so popular. (although its plethora of store helps to)

I cannot tell you how many times I’ve tried to get several friends from the suburbs to come hang out with me in the SN district yet they will not do it because they “don’t want to hassle with trying to find a place to park.” This is usually a Friday or Saturday night when I ask. On several occasions, those same friends who have decided to make the trip have been towed, ticketed, broken into or paid outrageous amounts in an Arena Disrict garage. I think what a lot of people here are missing is the different perspectives we all have on parking: urbanites vs. suburbanites. The urbanites think there is plenty of parking because we live here and are accustomed to the area and its adaptive nature. We know where all of those “hidden” parking spaces are, what is permit and what is not, which ones are cheapest, etc. Many suburbanites are clueless and would rather not drive up and down side roads in strange neighborhoods. I can guarantee you that there are even women, and probably some men, that won’t park because it’s parallel parking so they just leave. I’m not kidding, I’ve seen it happen several times. I’m not speaking for everyone, but a large portion of our population are just downright lazy and an easy cheap parking space is all they ask for.

It’s all about perception as well. Many people will not drive down those side roads because, even to this day, some find the area unsafe. Depending on how far north one is, that may or may not be true. There are cars getting broken into and there are strange looking beings wandering around in the dark. It’s an “urban” are area, a trait that I just think brings with it a sense of uncertainty to some. I think everyone can agree that it would be safer all around to pay a couple of bucks to park a car in a secure parking garage.

In the end, a parking garage or two can only benefit the area, in my opinion. Just about every open lot on High St. or within a block will eventually be developed, which means hundreds of spaces will be lost. That’s just a fact of life in an urbanizing area. Additional parking will be needed in order for the neighborhood to remain bustling and energetic. Even a few thousand new residents within a short walking distance could not make up for the loss in outside business due to loss of parking. Like I said, the area is not self sustainable. Rents are just too high and these places need all the business they can get, especially the non-food/alcohol bases establishments.

Also, KingLincolnUrbanEnthusiast, sadly, there are no inexpensive parking garages.

Lastly, i think the two previously proposed sites (boutique hotel and Ibiza) are the best and only locations a garage should be built. The should be part of a larger developement and not stand alone and not concrete monoliths.

How’s this for a parking garage? Seems to fit the artistic theme of the neighorhood:

http://www.thecoolist.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Santa-Monica-Civic-Center-Parking-Garage-1.jpg

Tigertree

While I don’t disagree with your point about perspective, I stand by the feeling that we need to do a better job at educating those people that parking is part of the experience. I know that parking a half mile from my destination on Melrose or in Silverlake (or any other similar neighborhood elsewhere) is exactly what caused me to find some of my favorite stores and restaurants. It is like the way you take the city in on a bike vs. in a car. One (in my opinion) is not better than the other but the experience is completely different. Exploring the neighborhood is part of coming to it.

Seriously, everyone should stop talking or dreaming about the Ibiza lot and even if that were possible the reality is a parking garage with construction and commission dealings would be years in the future. There are also several lots, like the Axis lot, that would be far more appropriate than taking up High St. frontage.

Why not look at what we can do now to make things better?

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Yea, I am in total agreeance about the Ibiza lot. What a mess. However, I do still think the central location of that lot in relation to the Short North as a whole is the best location for a garage and would be the most beneficial. I just hope all parties involved can wrap up this mess ASAP allowing for someone else to move along with the property.

cyclist II
    Participant

remember that the Ibiza project includes a 500 spot garage between Kerr and Pearl behind the townhomes.

cadillackid
    Participant

I agree with the post about Not wasting high street frontage space with a parking garage…

valet is great in theory but reality is that people’s minds are “short sited”.. ok so a couple is going to drive from hilliard to the SN for a dinner out.. we all know that the dining experience is likely not going to be cheap.. but when they see that $10 or $15 valet charge(plus tip) they freak… even though reality is that they will likely spend $50 or more for a nice dinner with apps, entrees, dessert and some wine…

$5 to park at a meter or a low cost garage space wont phase them one bit…

again its all PERCEPTION.. and the PERCEPTION is that the SN is tough to park in to outsiders.. its means nothing that those that liver or go there all the time know about the sweet spot tucked on a side street or the 3 hr parking along buttles, etc….

and YES i agree to yet another post that states businesses fail for any number of 1000 reasons….

suburbanites are typically fickle.. lets see.. how quick did the city center bite the big one after polaris, easton, and tuttle were built? sure didnt take long till it was on its way down…

and yes a point i will make about that failure is that there was $1.00 parking for 3 hours in the underground garages… so yes I agree with tigertree and others that parking isnt the ONLY thing to draw people.. but it surely helps…

this is columbus.. people like their cars… im an avid cyclist and like to walk 5+ miles per day.. but when its cold or rainy or traffic is bad my bicycle stays in the garage.. and im not the only one who feels this way in columbus…

-Christopher

cyclist II
    Participant

cadillackid wrote >>
    I agree with the post about Not wasting high street frontage space with a parking garage…
    valet is great in theory but reality is that people’s minds are “short sited”.. ok so a couple is going to drive from hilliard to the SN for a dinner out.. we all know that the dining experience is likely not going to be cheap.. but when they see that $10 or $15 valet charge(plus tip) they freak… even though reality is that they will likely spend $50 or more for a nice dinner with apps, entrees, dessert and some wine…
    $5 to park at a meter or a low cost garage space wont phase them one bit…
    again its all PERCEPTION.. and the PERCEPTION is that the SN is tough to park in to outsiders.. its means nothing that those that liver or go there all the time know about the sweet spot tucked on a side street or the 3 hr parking along buttles, etc….
    and YES i agree to yet another post that states businesses fail for any number of 1000 reasons….
    suburbanites are typically fickle.. lets see.. how quick did the city center bite the big one after polaris, easton, and tuttle were built? sure didnt take long till it was on its way down…
    and yes a point i will make about that failure is that there was $1.00 parking for 3 hours in the underground garages… so yes I agree with tigertree and others that parking isnt the ONLY thing to draw people.. but it surely helps…
    this is columbus.. people like their cars… im an avid cyclist and like to walk 5+ miles per day.. but when its cold or rainy or traffic is bad my bicycle stays in the garage.. and im not the only one who feels this way in columbus…
    -Christopher

Valets are $4-$6 + tip.

shirtandpants
    Participant

I’m not sure why, all of a sudden, the Short North needs to bend over backwards to accommodate suburbanites who want a “safe” and sterile experience. The neighborhood has done quite well as it is. Rather than trying to turn it into Easton (which has its share of problems, too, parking or no), we should be trying to make it more useful to the people who live here and who made it what it is. The Short North is successful because it ISN’T like the rest of the Columbus; making it more like the rest of Columbus just defeats the purpose.

I mean, if businesses are doing poorly because they can’t attract suburbanites, then they opened their business in the wrong part of town.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

shirtandpants wrote >>
    I’m not sure why, all of a sudden, the Short North needs to bend over backwards to accommodate suburbanites who want a “safe” and sterile experience. The neighborhood has done quite well as it is. Rather than trying to turn it into Easton (which has its share of problems, too, parking or no), we should be trying to make it more useful to the people who live here and who made it what it is. The Short North is successful because it ISN’T like the rest of the Columbus; making it more like the rest of Columbus just defeats the purpose.
    I mean, if businesses are doing poorly because they can’t attract suburbanites, then they opened their business in the wrong part of town.

The Short North is successful, in part, because of the suburbanites, as well as out-of-towners. The entire strip of commercial space, which is a couple of miles long, would be half vacant if it catered to just the adjacent neighborhoods. This isn’t NYC. The neighborhoods are not dense enough with residents to support that abundance of commercial activity on a day to day basis.

I live in the SN and I can’t imagine it being much more useful to me as a resident than it already is.

I agree with you in saying that the SN is successful because it is NOT like any other neighborhood. That’s even more of a reason that the neighborhood provide ample parking to enable many others to come down and enjoy it. It’s not our neigbhborhood, it’s the cities’ neighborhood. I don’t live at Easton but it makes it easier for me to go there and park for free and enjoy their neighhborhood amenities. Why should the two locations be any different.

IMHO this is not an us versus them and few strategic and well placed multi-story garages that charged reasonable rates and blended in with the historic character of the SN would compliment the commercial environment – bottom line is the surbanites bring a lot of money, energy, excitement, wealth, etc to the SN and drop plenty of cabbage –

I lived in VV for 6 years, so have plenty of perspective on 10 years ago versus today in 2011 and dynamics of now versus then from a business and retail perspective. (it is 180 degrees different and better than then perhaps 300% better, but the parking is much worse)

In 1999/2000 – you had the coffee table at Buttles and High, Axis was being built, the SN Tavern, at Hubbard and High the old Ford showroom was vacant – you had Union Station, Fresno, Rigsbys, no Dakota, no Grandview Mercantile (it was in Grandview), the cap was under construction, no Hyde Park, yada, yada, yada.

Today on the Buttles corner there is Black Olive and the new upscale fish place across the street, Level, and probably 50 great and popular eateries versus 5 or so 10 years ago. The place is booming and literally busting at the seems on some nights and a destination and more parking would help.

Also, for context, try comfest when the partiers are parking in the Circles and on campus. I have a few rentals in Olde Towne, with great rents and long term tenants – the demand is off the charts – 1 apt had 500 hits in a week. The rent is not cheap either. I always ask where they are moving from and why they want the apt and many times these folks are people who love the SN and want to be downtown, are living there now or just out of college, but frankly aren’t interested in dealing with parking challenges – not everyone can afford a $500K condo at the Jackson on the “strip” with a single parking space – my 3 cents –

All good comments on how to make a world-class attraction the SN – get better! I truly love the SN and how do you create a “venus fly trap” and never lose a flie.

From personal experience, not reading success magazine people go into business and risk their precious time and treasure to make money and prosper no one wants to do it for 3 years and then need to throw in the towel

Anyone can offer an opinion or critique, but being a downtowner and urban dweller – the SNBA should be welcoming a) Pizzuti and figure out b) how to improve the parking options – they don’t need more residential on High Street – The SN area is becoming noted in the New York Times for God’s sake and all over the country as the “in, cool, tony, hip place to be.”

The club and restaurant scene is the best in Ohio…if not the Midwest – hands down!

A strategic and surgical approach to accommodating all the “leaf peakers” would only enhance the appeal and business climate. Also, Les would comment with the new Kroger and all the infill constantly underway in VV,IV, Harrison West, Arena area, Campus, Weinland Park, folks are standing on the top of an exciting volcano – lets not encourage the top to blow off!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

KingLincolnUrbanEnthusiast wrote >>
    Anyone can offer an opinion or critique, but being a downtowner and urban dweller – the SNBA should be welcoming a) Pizzuti and figure out b) how to improve the parking options – they don’t need more residential on High Street…

The SNBA has no official say on the Pizzuti project.

rory
    Participant

I always ask where they are moving from and why they want the apt and many times these folks are people who love the SN and want to be downtown, are living there now or just out of college, but frankly aren’t interested in dealing with parking challenges

I might be totally crazy but I’ve never moved anywhere because it had better parking than somewhere else. Nor have I heard of anyone else doing it. Do people really do that?

econJoe
    Participant

rory wrote >>

I always ask where they are moving from and why they want the apt and many times these folks are people who love the SN and want to be downtown, are living there now or just out of college, but frankly aren’t interested in dealing with parking challenges

I might be totally crazy but I’ve never moved anywhere because it had better parking than somewhere else. Nor have I heard of anyone else doing it. Do people really do that?

I don’t think so. However, whether the car-attached Columbusite is real and some people’s comments on here simply reflective of reality or whether reality is constituted by the discourse of the supposed car-attached Columbusite is an interesting discussion to have when you have absolutely nothing better to do.

If people don’t want to come to the big city to eat dinner because parking there isn’t like parking at Polaris, then so be it. A truly vibrant urban community is not going to be maintained by appeasing those who feel entitled to dedicated space (rendered useless) for their choice of transit. The Short North has parking options that are fitting with a traditional urban neighborhood, and it also has many bus lines that run through it. If one chooses to live in Powell, that doesn’t make it the neighborhood’s responsibility to accommodate their lifestyle, especially one that is contrary to what makes this neighborhood a destination.

Diesha

Walker wrote >>

Anyone can offer an opinion or critique, but being a downtowner and urban dweller – the SNBA should be welcoming a) Pizzuti and figure out b) how to improve the parking options – they don’t need more residential on High Street…

The SNBA has no official say on the Pizzuti project.

The SNBA does not have official say on the Pizzuti project, however we do support the completion of the project based on the asset a parking garage brings to our businesses, the world class art gallery that attracts visitors, additional office spaces, and the customer that stays in a boutique hotel also shops in our independent retail shops and restaurants. We believe the project will be a strong positive impact for the district and the neighborhood.

I have attended 95% of the commission meetings in hopes to encourage the commissioners to approve the project. There’s a Victorian Village Commission meeting about the Pizzuti project tonight at 6pm at 109 N. Front Street if you’re interested please join us.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Thanks for the extra info, Diesha! ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 551 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: