Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Joseph - Pizzuti Short North Hotel - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Joseph – Pizzuti Short North Hotel – News & Updates

This topic contains 550 replies, has 105 voices, and was last updated by  News 4 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 551 total)
  • Author

colrex7

The Victorian Village and Italian Village joint Commission meeting was tonight for the new boutique hotel in the Short North. Did anyone attend? If so, what was the reaction from the commissions this time around?

Here is a link to the new renderings…

http://sites.google.com/a/victorianvillage.org/files/files

Original Discussion, Here: https://www.columbusunderground.com/pizzuti-short-north-hotel-plans-presented-tonight

anillo
    Participant

I really really hope this gets approved.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I really don’t see what all the hub bub is about with this project. Personally, I love it. A little modern here and there never hurt anybody. Please start construction asap.

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

I thought the complex was also going to include a gallery space for part of the Pizzuti collection. Is that still being considered? I didn’t see anything in the plans that looked like a gallery.

anillo
    Participant

jpizzow wrote >>
    I really don’t see what all the hub bub is about with this project. Personally, I love it. A little modern here and there never hurt anybody. Please start construction asap.

And a garage (which is definitely attractive to people from the suburbs). Give me a shovel and I’ll help dig.

Columbusite

Sweet; they pushed the upper floors back vs. having them hang out over the sidewalk, which was really my only gripe. I’m sold.

JonMyers
    Participant

I spoke to four or five people last night who attended the meeting.

It doesn’t sound like the medieval courts of Short North commercial architectural review are ruling in favor of this project. Maybe if Pizzutti presents the Italian and Victorian Village commissions with 162 goats, 9 swords, 3 virgins, a royal feast and the crown of the German Village king, then this will be approved.

Otherwise, the project is a long, long way off, which is a damn shame for Columbus.

Luckily there will be the Hilton close by with the giant colon across the street.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

That’s terrible news.

What is it they’re looking for, precisely, in order to make this project happen?

JoeMitchell

I like it, Joel Pizzuti and team are doing a good job

Some creative use of the brick would be nice, mural on the north wall of the hotel

I’m a little confused about the garage elevation, Is the garage six stories above grade? that seems a little high, going down two levels would probably cost an additional $1m

edit: everyone drives an audi?

JonMyers
    Participant

Michael, unfortunately that’s the issue, neither commission operates that way.

fresh

I’ll bet it gets approved. Maybe not in this exact iteration, but this was a big step forward re: removing the overhangs. Looks much more ‘appropriate’. I think the biggest issue is still the ‘scale’ of things.
    Say this gets approved in the next few months, are they planning on breaking ground immediately?

ETA: Just noticed what you meant about the Audis (B5.5 A4’s to be exact)… apparently thats what they have in mind for the SN.

dru
    Participant

It’s okay, there’s clearly a Chrysler 300M in slide 17.

On another point, if you live or own a business in the VV or IV and support this project, email the Commissioners and let them know. They are not going to all read these CU threads. They are going to have a lot of people show up at the meetings and declare this project the end of the SN as we know it.

As always the answer is, do something.

Mercurius
    Participant

Hell hath no furry like the Italian Village Commission. Great job Pizzuti and take a note from Joe Armeni if they don’t approve it.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>
    Michael, unfortunately that’s the issue, neither commission operates that way.

What can we do to help, then, as citizens in the area?

econJoe
    Participant

Why the animosity toward the commissions? Our historical architectural review process in both Victorian and Italian villages is what has made the Short North the beautiful area that it is today. Without those commissions, the Short North may have still gentrified (though I doubt it), but its High Street facades would look much like those of campus area today and beautiful historical architecture could easily be destroyed.

There are a lot of problems with the Pizzuti project that they have been unwilling to address to the commissioners so far. You should be asking the developer why it won’t address the concerns of the commissions because it has hardly modified a single element of the development despite reiterated concerns about it from the commissioners.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 551 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Join us for the Beer & Pretzel Pairing Party on November 3rd featuring Combustion Brewing & Happy Little Treats!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO