Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Pity for Detroit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Mercurius
    Participant

What beatiful abandonded buildings. Pity for Detroit

http://detroityes.com/home.htm

Lets not build a monorail around downtown.

31statler.jpg

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

What’s wrong with me that I find something glamorous about that photograph?

I’d hate to live there, unless I was Bladerunner, but what a marvel of chipped decadence and folly.

They must have fantastic weeds!

drew
    Participant

Manatee wrote What’s wrong with me that I find something glamorous about that photograph?

I’d hate to live there, unless I was Bladerunner, but what a marvel of chipped decadence and folly.

They must have fantastic weeds!

Last time I was there there were actual trees growing out of the tops of one of the abandoned skyscrapers!

And yeah, as much as it represents a lot of misfortune for a lot of people, there’s something somehow appealing about the photo.

Universal Studios should move to Detroit. They’d have a ready-made backlot to replace the one that just burned.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

d-town is a sad place as are many other towns who based a lot of their economy on a single industry that evaporated.

thankfully c-bus is somewhat more economically diverse. We really do have a lot going on here. Hopefully we can avoid this kind of collapse.

the picture makes me both sad and hopeful. Remember: todays brownfield is tomorrows redevelopment

A. Miller
    Participant

I sorta miss living in Detroit when I see pictures like this. There is a lot of great photographic fodder in Detroit thanks to its deterioration. That photo, iirc, would have to be just south of the Fox Theatre by a handful of blocks. In Detroit there is definitely still a “good block/bad block” reality going on. If you want to see some great photos of Detroit check out flickr user SweetJuniper.

Cranbrook Art/Science retreat is just north of Detroit and heralded such designers as Saarinen (both father and son), the Eames, Nelson and so many others. Thus the reason for some of the amazing design scattered around the wasteland up there.

Wallis

reminds me a lot of some of the phtos on urbanohio.com. That’s a really cool site for urban ruins, as well as dilapidated farmhouses, etc…check out the photo sets of Cleveland, Youngstown, Dayton, etc…

There’s something romantic about the photos of “ruins”. I’ve always liked ’em. Even when I was a kid, I remember taking notice when driving through the South Bronx (this was late 70’s-early 80’s), the Lower East Side pre-gentrification, and other areas. I think it gives a sense of what once was, and what could be again. Remember, 20 years ago people were still saying that the American City was dead.

Trixie
    Participant

Off topic: Go Penquins!!!!

gobluegirl

Trixie wrote Off topic: Go Penquins!!!!

+1!!!!! (i’m struggling to stay awake after last night’s game! woo hoo!!!)

A. Miller
    Participant

Ugh, 30 seconds, 30 friggin seconds. Wings will still win it even if it goes all the way. Go Wings!

This is by far the best Cup in years. Two old time teams, young blood vs. “experience”, tons of exciting play. I’m a Wings fan and want them (expect them) to win but there really are no losers in this years Stanley Cup playoffs.

Mercurius
    Participant

Here are my favorites, well that can’t be the right word

:cry: The Michigan Theatre turned into a parking garage.

Bear
    Participant

Mercurius wrote Here are my favorites, well that can’t be the right word

:cry: The Michigan Theatre turned into a parking garage.

:)

Matthew
    Participant

Merc I never understood why they did that to the theater, it is the damndest thing I’ve ever seen. Another great city to chase photos for abandonment is Gary Indiana.

If I’m not mistaken, the hotel in the original pic (red brick) was demolished in 05. Heres a video of the preservationists trying to save it.

If it wasn’t that one, it was a similar one.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Robocop, Action Jackson, Beverly Hills Cop. America needs Detroit as a bellwether for dystopian urban crimescapes.

It is a well-known scientific fact that the only fictional event purporting to take place in Detroit, and which was more depressing and horrible than the city itself, was Tim Allen getting paid to react to things.

Daz
    Participant

Detroit is every reminder to me why I wanted to get involved in politics when I started college, and then why I wanted to get out.

On that note, Go Red Wings.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: