Our City Online

Messageboard - Nightlife

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Pins Mechanical Company — Downtown Pinball, Ping Pong & Duckpin Bowling

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Nightlife Pins Mechanical Company — Downtown Pinball, Ping Pong & Duckpin Bowling

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Pinball, Duckpin Bowling and Other Old School Entertainment in Store at Pins Mechanical Company
    March 3, 2016 10:58 pm – Walker Evans

Three summers ago, Columbus scored its first bar/arcade combo with the opening of 16-Bit at 254 South Fourth Street. This summer, a new concept from the same owner will bring a slightly different kind of venue just up the road at 141 North Fourth Street.

Pins Mechanical Company is the name of the latest venture from entertainment entrepreneur Troy Allen, which will feature duckpin bowling, pinball machines, foosball, shuffleboard, ping pong an other games inside a large warehouse environment. The idea is to bring “old school” entertainment back into vogue in a manner not completely dissimilar to the classic arcade games featured at 16-Bit.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/pins-mechanical-company

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

I think this is a great concept and a great location.

The only hiccup will be when that patio is overlooking the construction of whatever they ultimately build right across the street (the giant parking garage/building proposal).

Aside from that–this will be well situated for a lot of ongoing growth in the immediate vicinity, and will be a great, unique draw, IMO.

ricospaz
    Participant

great news!

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Sounds fun.

coolyrboots
    coolyrboots
    Participant

Oh, great news! I guess I had assumed when the lease sign went away that it would be another automotive joint. This is a pleasant surprise.

Nancy H
    Participant

Nice to see another entertainment place opening that is not solely focused on cocktails and light food offerings. I realize food and drink is a big attraction for our City’s young singles. But, more places where someone (like Walker) would feel comfortable taking their children from time to time is much needed in our urban areas.

With the growing number of young couples moving into the urban core, in another ten years or so, we are going to need some tween/teen venues.

I have never been in 16-Bit or Kingmakers (somewhat different concept). Anybody have any comments about either.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

I’m in.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

This is awesome! I just hope it doesn’t take them as long to open here as it did with 16-bit. They opened like 9 months after their announced opening.

To answer Nancy’s question, 16-bit is pretty chill early in the day. I don’t think they have an issue with kids before a certain time. I would think same with Kingmakers, but I don’t know. I’m usually only at these places later on weekend nights.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

This is awesome! I just hope it doesn’t take them as long to open here as it did with 16-bit. They opened like 9 months after their announced opening.

Four and a half months.

Announced in early April with a plan to open July 5th:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/16-bit-bararcade-opening-this-summer

Opened August 30th, about two months behind schedule:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/first-look-16-bit-bararcade

ricospaz
    Participant

I like Level One arcade the best. It’s in the suburbs though, right off 23 and 270. Lots of games and pinball machines. They have a full bar too but it’s pretty big inside so it doesn’t feel like a bar. It reminds me of an arcade.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

16-Bit is a delight, in no small part because it draws such a wide range of guests. It’s a little crowded and a little loud, but great fun.

Kingmakers also operates with a bar (that serves coffee, tea, etc., as well as alcoholic drinks). Folks are using those games for longer periods of time, which probably doesn’t help their business model, but I’ve been a few times and it’s always got a great energy to it, full or mostly full house, in a nice space.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>King Gambrinus wrote:</div>

Four and a half months.

Announced in early April with a plan to open July 5th:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/16-bit-bararcade-opening-this-summer

Opened August 30th, about two months behind schedule:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/first-look-16-bit-bararcade

You got me. I used a little exaggeration, but it was only because I was looking forward to it opening

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

You got me. I used a little exaggeration, but it was only because I was looking forward to it opening

I was in the same boat. Hotly anticipated grand opening. ;)

ohbr
    Participant

I like Level One arcade the best. It’s in the suburbs though, right off 23 and 270. Lots of games and pinball machines. They have a full bar too but it’s pretty big inside so it doesn’t feel like a bar. It reminds me of an arcade.

I’m personally a fan of Old North Arcade over 16-Bit but Level One is probably the best. You can’t beat the size and variety they have. There is something to be said about a strip mall in some cases. It’s quite a drive for us city folk, but worth the trip. Maybe Pins will be similar as they appear to have more room to work with than 16-bit and Old North.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘Nightlife’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE