Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Pie's Gourmet Pizza Bistro

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Pie's Gourmet Pizza Bistro

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Restaurant review: Pie’s Gourmet Pizza Bistro
    Wednesday July 18, 2012 11:15 PM
    By G.A. Benton ∙ Photos by Tessa Berg

Bill Fugitt is like the Flying Dutchman of chefs. The obviously talented guy has a resume that, while impressive, reads like a cruise ship itinerary. There have been stops in France, Napa Valley, Washington, D.C., and, locally, Muirfield Village, MoJoe Lounge Downtown and the top toque spot at Rigsby’s Kitchen.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusalive.com/content/stories/2012/07/19/restaurant-review-pies-gourmet-pizza-bistro.html

kathylhoover

Mister Shifter
    Participant

kathylhoover said:
    I am looking forward to trying this place!

Kathy
    KathyKitchen.blogspot.com

Are you just spamming your blog in every reply you post? Just curious.

kathylhoover

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I wasn’t accusing you of anything, I said I was just curious.

You only have two posts on here, both which are short one sentence replies with your blog URL posted after it. Seemed “spammy” to me, but what do I know?

Maybe create a topic promoting your blog instead?

NerosNeptune
    Participant

kathylhoover said:
    Am I not allowed to have a signature line? I’ve only made 2 comments with it.

I really am looking forward to trying the place.

you’re doing it wrong

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

Roland said:
    Have you tried the pizza?!?

Yes, yes I have and am sad to report that the pie at this place was in a word, terrible, almost unfit to eat. In fact my wife says she would have preferred Papa John’s.

First the good, the patio was charming. Nice and cozy, tree covered, and a bit secluded, offered a feeling of getting away from the outside world. The porch sweet tea, served in a mason jar, was some of the best I’ve had. And the staff was really attentive, the food arrived quickly and our server kept out tea’s topped up. They also use iPad’s for taking orders and processing payments and offer to email you a receipt if you need one. I like that they are paperless.

The bad, the pizza. Mishelle ordered the traditional Margehrita, worst margehrita evah! Big almost inedible pieces of flavorless tomatoes. The sauce had little to no flavor, not sweet, not spicy, just there. The crust was waay too doughy for her or my taste. The only redeeming part of this pie is the fresh mozerella that she ended up just picking off and eating by itself.

I had the Finocchiona which was just did not work on any level. The ingredients sounded, and looked good enough but the flavors were incongruent. It’s like the whole was less than the sum of it’s parts. It was a terrible amalgam of flavors to say the least. I couldn’t finish it and she wanted nothing to do with it.

The ugly, we were there on a Saturday night and there was only 1 other couple on the patio. It was nice outside and if that’s all the folks they can get out on a nice Saturday night, they are in trouble. Also the place seemed over staffed for the amount of cleintle. The servers were hanging out chatting with each other because the place was just so dead.

The worst part was we were still hungry when we left and totally unsatisfied. And I really, really wanted to like this place, being an east-sider I was delighted to have a real gourmet pizza place on the east side but if this is gourmet pizza I’ll stick to my standard go to’s.

News
    Participant

Review: Pie’s Gourmet Pizza Bistro
    Published on August 1, 2012 11:25 am
    By: Morgan Kelley

Pie’s Gourmet Pizza Bistro opened in Reynoldsburg a month ago under the guidance of Chef William Fugitt. The restaurant is housed a beautiful old home featuring multiple dining rooms with different experiences to be had. Upstairs is home to a large semi-casual bar area where diners can look out through the tree branches to the busy street below. Downstairs offers some standard seating indoors with a special spot for a kitchen-side view. Pie’s also has a great landscaped courtyard-style patio enclosed on two sides by the restaurant and the other two sides by a wall of shrubbery.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/review-pies-gourmet-pizza-bistro

Fsonicsmith
    Participant

I have to admit that Porky’s experience is entirely consistent with my own. You will see above that I posted quite favorably after our first visit. The second time we went, it was terrible. Granted, it was the night of the storm that caused the power outages and they were crowded with suburban storm refugees, but the level of incompetence we experienced was still inexcusable. As we waited for our table, we could not get the bartenders attention to save our lives. Over 45 minutes I watched the owner sit at the bar near me oblivious to the lack of service going on all around him as his wife was clearly freaking out. When we finally got seated, we were subjected to some of the worst effort at Za I’ve encountered anywhere. In an apparent rush to get food out, the two guys in the kitchen-clearly in view from our table-were pulling half-raw doughy pies out of the oven and cutting them up either oblivious or convinced that expedience took precedence over competency. Get this; my duck pizza was served and a friendly guy at the next table casually called over to me, “Excuse me, but is that the Duck confit pizza?”. So I said yes, and he showed me his wife’s duck pizza and they shared zero resemblance. Mine had ample duck confit but raw dough, hers had the same raw dough but almost NO duck or toppings. Just horrendous. The whole sordid experience left us with zero desire to ever go back and it appears from Porky’s post that we are not the only ones. Sorry, but I won’t excuse the restaurant for the circumstances of the storm and onslought of customers. I did not see one iota of effort on behalf of the bartender/mixologist behind the bar for 45 minutes or the other bartender or the owner and that is the sin I can’t forgive.

News
    Participant

Bartender profile: Nigal Vann of Pie’s Gourmet Pizza Bistro
    By Jesse Tigges
    From the September 14, 2012 edition

We’re a new restaurant, open a little less than three months. I helped open the place. Cris Dehlavi [of M at Miranova] was the consult here and she created the initial run of the drinks. We definitely get a lot of community support. A lot of people in see a neighbor or a coworker and end up hanging out longer.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusalive.com/content/stories/2012/09/13/bartender-profile-nigal-vann-of-pies-gourmet-pizza-bistro.html

News
    Participant

Lofty pizza falls flat
    SHELLEY MANN

On paper, Pie’s Gourmet Pizza Bistro looks like a slam dunk. The owners of this ambitious new Reynoldsburg spot managed to snag Rigsby’s vet Bill Fugitt, one of the city’s most talented chefs, who has created an inspired farm-to-table-themed menu. They also talked bartender extraordinaire Cris Dehlavi, renowned for her cocktail menu at M at Miranova, into overseeing the bar.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusmonthly.com/September-2012/Lofty-pizza-falls-flat/

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE