Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Pie's Gourmet Pizza Bistro

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Pie's Gourmet Pizza Bistro

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pie’s Gourmet Pizza Bistro Opens in Reynoldsburg

Published on June 21, 2012

By: Walker

Gourmet pizza is officially all the rage. Between bonopizza, Yellow Brick, Element, Harvest, Clever Crow and several others, you’ve got plenty of options to choose from in Columbus. But where do you go for gourmet pizza in Reynoldsburg?

Mike Becher and Chef William Fugitt are hoping to answer that question with Pie’s Gourmet Pizza Bistro, located at 7601 East Main Street, located a quick 10-mile jaunt east of Downtown.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/pies-gourmet-pizza-bistro-opens-in-reynoldsburg

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

Always looking for a new place to try a new pie, gonna check them out sooner than later.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

They open today! Looking forward to checking them out myself. :D

I will say that it felt like a hike to get out there on 70 & 256, but I drove home straight down Main Street and it felt much closer and connected that way driving through the various neighborhoods.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Walker said:
    They open today! Looking forward to checking them out myself. :D

I will say that it felt like a hike to get out there on 70 & 256, but I drove home straight down Main Street and it felt much closer and connected that way driving through the various neighborhoods.

From our general area of town getting out East via Main or Broad is really the way to go a lot of times. Often times the map on my iphone will even say to take Broad out East for certain destinations out there like my vet. Broad really opens up just East of Hamilton to 50mph all the way to 270, cake!

Scapino
    Participant

We’ll definitely be checking this out. We always love to see places like this out in the suburbs.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

I might go this weekend.

I know what you mean, and while it’s a wee bit north of that, Broad Steet (esp. thru Bexley) is one of my favorite drives in the city. So much neat architecture and character.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Pizza!!

Roland
    Participant

Have you tried the pizza?!?

paktinat

No draft beer yet, nice staff, killer patio.
    Pie was good and decently priced. Will go back again.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Roland said:
    Have you tried the pizza?!?

I lol’ed.

GoolRD

My wife and I had the four-cheese pizza and a couple of salads on the second official day of opening. The waiter started out calling my wife, “sir”, then mumbled something of an apology. Bad start. He turned to me and said apologetically, the only type of domestic beers available were … I was not wearing a foam trucker’s cap or a sleeveless shirt. I ordered the iced tea, sweetened. Turns out, the bistro offers many types of beers, including local microbrews and that the hours are 5pm to 10pm and that all transactions are carried out on an IPad. All that information was obtained from overhearing the friendly waitress at the next table. Our surly waiter offered only one-word answers. The house salad has lots of different cherry tomatoes. The ceaser or caeser salad, depending on which part of the menu your look at, was the best part of the meal. The pizza was served within sight of two non-bistro pizza restaurants, and a really fine, local Vick’s Pizza just down the block. The pizza itself was doughy and spread out on a greasy piece of wood, just like a real pizza bistro. The bartender is a drink chef, supposedly creating all types of new drinks, but could not mix an adequate “fake” ginger-ale. My iced tea was 4 dollars. That’s tea, ice and sugar. Maybe the food was better and I was just not hungry after the poor treatment by a 42 year old man-child. After rocking back in my chair for a while, I went looking found the waiter joking with co-workers at the hostess station. He graciously sent someone else to take my money. The meal was 34 dollars, not including the crappy tip I left. A pizza bistro has come to Reynoldsburg! Big deal. They want customers to drive 12 miles to get there. I live within walking distance. I will be walking right past to pick-up an actual pizza somewhere else.

Fsonicsmith
    Participant

Wow. It’s amazing how varied perceptions can be. GoodRD’s scathing review I’m talking about. My wife and I went Saturday night. We sat on the patio too. Despite being dressed in mismatched shorts and T-shirt and wearing old running shoes, we were treated royally upon our entrance with an enthusiastic greeting by three young women. Our young well-meaning waitress was admittedly clumsy and inexperienced-she needed help to retrieve a cork from a bottle of wine and then poured the wine with such trembly hands that I felt compelled to take over-but she was otherwise did a very good job. Now on to the more important stuff.
    Both the interior and patio are very inviting. The outside chairs perhaps could benefit from cushions rather than just wrought iron mesh. There is a paradox of a fine linen tablecloth being wrapped around the cheapest cheesiest flatware I have seen this side of a college dorm cafeteria. But the utensils were shiney, new, and clean, and they work to get food to mouth. A fine bottle of Chateauneuf de Pape Blanc (Mas Neuf) was an incredibly reasonable $22, which is retail. The wine list is full of nice choices in the $20-$40 range-someone who knows wine picked out the list, with lots of Vanguard offerings (my favorite distributor). A lobster caesar salad was fine for $12-a solid “B” effort. I could have done without the deep fried onion chips and the croutons appeared store-bought, but the greens and dressing were fine if not very Caesar-like and the portions of perfectly poached lobster (two large chunks) were generous and a great match for the Chateauneuf Blanc. My wife’s salad looked equally good, mixed summer greens IIRC. Then came the most pleasant surprise-the pizzas. My duck confit pizza sported not only more than adequate shreds of duck confit, but a poached duck egg in the middle. For $8 (yes, eight measely clams) this pizza is incredibly a)generous b)delicious and c)satisfying. As much as I loved my duck pizza, the margerita pizza my wife ordered was better. The tomatoes were natural local tomatoes. “Natural” compared to un-natural you might ask. Well, yes. They were full of real tomatoe flavor made even more intense by light carmelization. The mix of sweet, acid, and fat from the cheese and basil was perfect. This margerita pizza blows away the Rossi’s, and that’s saying something. We went up the bar after our meal. The bar is first-rate. Huge and comfortable. Yes, the mixologist may take himself a bit seriously, but they are making their own bitters and concocting their own takes on the standards. My Manhattan was incredible, featuring a house-marinated cherry- a small detail, but an important one. I could easily have consumed four or five of those Manhattans, if I did not have to worry about driving or headaches. This is a fantastic place now, and likely to only get better with some time and fine-tuning. The owner came by and talked to us up at the bar. He is committed to making his restaurant a place that folks will think of mid-week, when they want to get out but keep within their budget, for folks who abhor chain restaurant food, and just want to relax with solid food in a comfortable environment. Needless to say, I think he’s on the right track.

Twixlen
    Participant

^ I’m pretty sure they consulted with Cris Dehlavi from M for their bar set up and drink menu. She’s the real deal when it comes to cocktails.

Bear
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    ^ I’m pretty sure they consulted with Cris Dehlavi from M for their bar set up and drink menu.

Indeed.

foodie23

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE