Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Pierogis in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Pierogis in Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 226 total)
  • Author
    derm
    derm
    Participant

Mde them last night, very tasty. The bacon camp winner dough recipe makes a fabulous dough. Very easy to work with. I should have double the dough recipe as I had lots of filling left over however. 8 left in the fridge for snacks.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Mach 2: Butter!

I fried up some more of Ro’s pierogis in this:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Relish/Pasture-Butter-Taste-Test.aspx

…because this time, it was personal.

This time, I got all of the ‘rogis lightly browned and crisp, as they should be. I also wanted to gild the lily and serve them with sour cream, but my sour cream had seen better days, so I lightly dressed them with a little full-fat unsweetened yogurt instead. Yum!

Cookie

OK, even the frozen pierogis have too many steps. I can’t believe you people make them from scratch. Also, nobody mentioned that they were really, really bland. They’d probably be pretty good with bacon. I give my first pierogi experience a meh.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>
    OK, even the frozen pierogis have too many steps. I can’t believe you people make them from scratch. Also, nobody mentioned that they were really, really bland. They’d probably be pretty good with bacon. I give my first pierogi experience a meh.

I think the same thing about cookies! :P

Cookie

Manatee wrote >>

Believe it or not, I don’t even really like cookies … hey, wait a minute.

I can’t believe I put sour cream on something I fried in butter. I think I need to lie down.

columbusfoodie
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>

It really isn’t about the pierogi itself, at least when it comes to the plain potato ones – with those, it’s more about the butter that gives them that nice crunchy golden brown exterior and nutty flavor, the caramelized onions that lend a bit of sweetness to offset the savory, etc. They are a lot of work, but so worth it.

I think that’s why I enjoy making pierogies with unusual fillings – kielbasa and sauerkraut, reuben (corned beef, sauerkraut and dijon mustard infused mashed potatoes), etc.

You really can’t compare a frozen store-bought pierogi to a homemade one. The difference between the two is staggering. That being said, one of my favorite easy quick convenience meals is pan-fried mini pierogies sauteed with Thurn’s weiswurst, butter, onions cooked until they’re caramelized and a touch of sauerkraut thrown in at the end.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Manatee wrote >>

Cookie wrote >>

1) Buy refrigerated cookie dough
    2) Turn on oven
    3) Line cookies on pan
    4) Place pan in oven
    5) Pour some Scotch and wait
    6) Pull ’em out and enjoy

joev
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>

What kind of WASP are you?

patient_zero
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>

Did you add the sautéed onions to the pan? While the pierogies are boiling, I sauté some sliced onions in butter and put them aside. I add the boiled and drained pierogies to the same pan with some more butter until they are lightly browned and crisp, then marry the sautéed onions to the pierogies and bring to temp, and they are ready to serve.

While the potato version may be the most bland of the group, butter and sour cream add richness, and pan frying them in butter gives them crispness and snap. I really like the sauerkraut version.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Cat/house sitting for the week for a friend. Wouldn’t you know she has a box of pierogies in the freezer? Onions are sautéing and water is boiling as we speak…

Roland
    Participant

I like to overseason the plain potato and onion filling with salt and pepper. It seems to work out after they are boiled and then fried.

Definitely need to taste the onion in the filling.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

And I really need to know how frozen is too many steps.

Water on the stove, heating. Butter in a pan with onions. Take onions off stove. Put pierogies in water. Sip beer and wait 5-6 minutes. Fry and enjoy.

Cookie

patient_zero wrote >>
    Did you add the sautéed onions to the pan? While the pierogies are boiling, I sauté some sliced onions in butter and put them aside. I add the boiled and drained pierogies to the same pan with some more butter until they are lightly browned and crisp, then marry the sautéed onions to the pierogies and bring to temp, and they are ready to serve.
    While the potato version may be the most bland of the group, butter and sour cream add richness, and pan frying them in butter gives them crispness and snap. I really like the sauerkraut version.

I cooked the pierogis in the same pan as the onions, but I didn’t put them all in together. Are there sauerkraut-filled pierogis or do you eat pierogis with sauerkraut?

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

MMMM….

Yeah, frying in an unholy amount of butter is the trick. I need some bacon, though. That’s the key.

Another to getting more periogies in CMH is just working with one of the vendor at the North Market or a similar space to offer frozen, homemade variations. I have a freezer for the cause…

patient_zero
    Participant

@ Cookie: They are stuffed with sauerkraut. I can only imagine how delicious Roland’s or karenS’s or swampkitty’s taste with their fresh ingredients.

Mega pierogi farm Mrs. T’s has a sauerkraut version that’s available in local stores.

http://www.pierogies.com/retail/products.asp

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 226 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: